New Cytronex Owner

MarkG

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 10, 2013
Bournemouth
I wouldn't waste my time repairing that motor. There's loads of better ones now at half the price. They're all very quiet when you use a sinewave controller.

Is your present motor sensored (8 wires) or sensorless (3 wires)? Are your forks 100mm or something else?
Out of interest before going to winchester, what motors would work with the cytronex set up with minimal fuss ?

D

Deleted member 4366

That means that all standard motors will fit. Now you need to answe my othe question above.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Apologies, I believe it is 3 wire.
No need for apologies as I had already answered that question. Did you speak to Cytronex about a repair? You may find that it is cheaper to do that than buying and getting a new motor built into a wheel. If it turns out to be the wiring or controller you will have wasted your time/money. As previously discussed the tongxin motors are fantastic to ride unassisted due to the roller drive - you may not get the same experience with a new motor. The price you pay of course is that they are less robust but if you are careful and know their limitations then they shouldn't break. I owned the FX at one stage and it was fantastic but not up to a 20 a day commute.

PS you mention you have bar ends rather than the much more convenient thumb buttons. Cytronex did a conversion for me when at what I thought was a reasonable cost. I have always found Mark to be very helpful and I always enjoyed visiting his shop as he always had some great bikes to drool over (luckily my sister lives in Winchester so I had an excuse to visit).

Last edited:

MarkG

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 10, 2013
Bournemouth
No need for apologies as I had already answered that question. Did you speak to Cytronex about a repair? You may find that it is cheaper to do that than buying and getting a new motor built into a wheel. If it turns out to be the wiring or controller you will have wasted your time/money. As previously discussed the tongxin motors are fantastic to ride unassisted due to the roller drive - you may not get the same experience with a new motor. The price you pay of course is that they are less robust but if you are careful and know their limitations then they shouldn't break. I owned the FX at one stage and it was fantastic but not up to a 20 a day commute.

PS you mention you have bar ends rather than the much more convenient thumb buttons. Cytronex did a conversion for me when at what I thought was a reasonable cost. I have always found Mark to be very helpful and I always enjoyed visiting his shop as he always had some great bikes to drool over (luckily my sister lives in Winchester so I had an excuse to visit).
Finally got round to taking the wheel/motor to Winchester, its the planetary drive as diagnosed. Only fifty quid to fix so much cheaper than a new motor. The wheel was slightly buckled so something must have given it a big knock over the winter in the garage. I'll be back on the road again next week. Thanks to Mark and the guys at cytronex, very helpful and professional. Thanks also for the replies on here, I will give further updates once I'm mobile again.