new ebike conversion, front derailleur not working?

josh kayz

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 25, 2019
Hi, I`m trying to convert an old bike with a cyclotricity 250w kit ,its been going ok so far, one problem though, the front derailleur wont shift? I mean it moves when i click the shifter ,i can see it physicially move next to the chainring, but it wont move into the high or lower chainrings , just stays in the middle ring.....I`m sure i read that the front deraileur wont work on ebike conversions, but i cant find anything to confirm it....

help!,
Josh

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Hi, have you tried adjusting the limiting screws on the derailleur, oiling the pivots on the derailleur, checking the cable tension.

If it an old bike it is worth changing the brake and derailleur inner and outer cables for new ones.

f you have not changed the crank then it should not affect the front derailleur.

Hope this helps.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The front shifter will change gear if it is set up properly, I have them on my ebikes.

• Agree
Reactions: robert44

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Have you put cable ties on the down tube, thus inadvertantly clamping the shifter cable?
Look under the bottom bracket, is there an obstruction there?
If it worked before the conversion it will work now.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

josh kayz

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 25, 2019
hi , I tried those things, but had to force the front deraileur outward to make it move in the end.