New ebike - teething problems or more?

louiem

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Hampshire
I bought a Lapierre Overvolt Cross 800 with a Yamaha motor in the crank, from Chain Reaction that arrived on Tuesday. Firstly, the charger only had an EU plug with no UK adapter included. My partner had to cut off the EU and attach a UK plug, so I wasn't too impressed with that. Wednesday, we went out for the first time and after only 6 miles, one of the pedals came off. My bf couldn't fix it on the spot and neither could another cyclist who stopped to assist. My bf had to leave me down a quiet country lane, cycle back home and get the car to come and pick me and the bike up. Not a good start so far!! So, back at home, my bf discovers the crank is cross threaded (now, forgive me, I do not really know what that means) but he put it in from the other side(??) and so was able to fix it. I contacted Chain Reaction via Facebook that evening to advise on both these points, and this morning received a reply to email their Warranty team, which I did, but have not yet heard back.

So, this afternoon, we go out again for a 13 mile ride. All went well except that about 2 miles from home the motor started making a loud whirring noise. It was quite noticeable and up until then was almost silent. It didn't happen when I stopped pedalling or immediately after changing gear, but then after maybe 5-10 seconds started again, and continued the rest of the way home.

Would appreciate your thoughts on these points, particularly the motor being noisy. I just wonder if this bike should be sent back or what might be the cause?

STEVEMANFA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Forest of Dean
Hi and welcome
Sorry to hear about the bad start to your ebike
I'd take the bike back if it was me, I have a lappier and it came with a uk plug, the Yamaha motor is a bit noisy more so than a hub motor.
I have had my bike about 18 months and put about 1500 miles on it with most of this in the woods and not had one problem.
You have got a premium product so I'd expect a premium service from the shop.
Hope they sort it out for you.
Steve.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Wednesday, we went out for the first time and after only 6 miles, one of the pedals came off. My bf couldn't fix it on the spot and neither could another cyclist who stopped to assist.
this happens unfortunately fairly often to bikes sold by mail order firms.
The cranks are new, the pedals are new, so it is not likely a manufacturing issue but your bf did not put them on properly.
The right pedal has normal thread, the left pedal has left hand thread.
To avoid cross threading, put a little grease on the pedal's thread and thread them by hand all the way until the pedals are in place (about 10 turns). Then tighten them properly with a pedal wrench tool or 15mm spanner to about 10NM - 12NM (about 12kgf on a pedal wrench)..

All went well except that about 2 miles from home the motor started making a loud whirring noise.
You are obviously worried about this. Post a video clip, some of us may work out where this noise may come from.

louiem

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Hampshire
this happens unfortunately fairly often to bikes sold by mail order firms.
The cranks are new, the pedals are new, so it is not likely a manufacturing issue but your bf did not put them on properly.
The right pedal has normal thread, the left pedal has left hand thread.
To avoid cross threading, put a little grease on the pedal's thread and thread them by hand all the way until the pedals are in place (about 10 turns). Then tighten them properly with a pedal wrench tool or 15mm spanner to about 10NM - 12NM (about 12kgf on a pedal wrench)..

You are obviously worried about this. Post a video clip, some of us may work out where this noise may come from.
He did put the pedals on correctly, I was watching him when he did it. I had watched the video on Chain Reactions website and told him that the pedals had L and R on them. He is away now until next Friday so I don't think I will have the ability to post a video. Even so, it was silent until we were nearly home and then became noisy. I am inclined to tell Chain Reaction I want to return it as faulty, but I am also aware that as I bought it with 30% off (plus another 10% British Cycling discount), I got supposedly a lot of bike for the money.

I was really wanting to know if it would be usual for an electric motor to suddenly become really quite noisy after doing in total about 16 miles.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I was really wanting to know if it would be usual for an electric motor to suddenly become really quite noisy after doing in total about 16 miles.
No, it becomes more likely noisy after 6,000 miles.

D

Deleted member 4366

If you don't tighten the pedals enough, they start unscrewing themselves. When one's half-way out, the force on the pedal damages the thread, so it looks like it's cross-threaded. I know this because I did it myself, and I know that I'm not the only one. You have to fully tighten them to avoid that. If there were any damage to the thread from the factory, you wouln't have been able to screw in the pedal. I'm sorry, but if I were the judge, this one would be down to you if you put the pedals on.

• Agree
Reactions: redcup1999 and RobF

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
As d8 says. a slighty loose pedal will fret on the softer aluminium thread of the crank and wreck it.

There's a reason why pedal spanners are long - the pedals is the one fixing on the bike which needs to be done up tight.

louiem

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Hampshire
We'll never know about the pedal issue and it is sorted now. I think the pedals should have been fitted to the bike, but that is a separate issue and I suppose had I bought from a store, they would have been. That aside, we have been able to replicate the noise from the motor and have taken a video as suggested. The motor was silent previously, I would say could not be heard at all.

https://youtu.be/kMciluuDMRw

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

louiem

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Hampshire
100 miles, it will take me months to do that! I managed 13 yesterday and could hardly stand up afterwards! It was pretty much all in Eco though, with Std or High for the hills. What is odd to me is that it was silent yesterday and the time before (with the pedal episode) with noise only suddenly starting after about 16 miles. I feel like I am making excuses to return it. Actually, I am not as I want to keep it but I'm feeling like it's doomed!

Not sure about any clicking, I didn't notice that, just an overall loud whirring, or loud compared to how it was initially.

I am not really sure what to do about it. If I was given an option to return, I doubt I would get the same model back as I had the last one and they are now out of stock. Anyway, maybe the supplier will just think I am trying it on!

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Most factory middrives make some noise, more noticeable under heavy load especially when climbing in higher assist level. Less so in eco on flat as load is less and wind noise covers it.
None of reviews of Yamaha drive say it is quiet so I'd say noise is normal.

STEVEMANFA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Forest of Dean
IT don't sound to bad to me, just use like it is, you have a 2 year warranty on the motor so that's plenty of time to take it back if needed

Reactions: argoose

louiem

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Hampshire
If the noise was normal, I would have expected it to be there from the beginning but it wasn't. It was as good as silent until towards the end of my second outing on it. It started when we were on the flat and I was in Eco mode. I know nothing about these motors but maybe it could be a loose bearing?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I know nothing about these motors but maybe it could be a loose bearing?
no.
It's possible that you are more aware of the motor's noise and as the initial grease is slightly dispersed after a few miles, the noise may have changed a little.
Forget the noise for a while, enjoy riding your new bike then in a month's time, make another recording. If the noise level increases, then we'll help you to look into it.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Woosh have beaten me to it, could well be the grease has now dispersed.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Just a thought.. I have a yamaha road version that sounds a bit like yours but it's not too loud but definately noticeable.
Can I ask.. if you are only doing a few miles why in eco? I ride my yam in normal all the time..
Sounds to me like you are making your first rides harder than they needs to be so unless you are planning on 40 miles or more try it in normal (assuming it's like mine eco-normal-sport). You can man up and tough it in eco when your legs have bedded in a bit.

louiem

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Hampshire
Just a thought.. I have a yamaha road version that sounds a bit like yours but it's not too loud but definately noticeable.
Can I ask.. if you are only doing a few miles why in eco? I ride my yam in normal all the time..
Sounds to me like you are making your first rides harder than they needs to be so unless you are planning on 40 miles or more try it in normal (assuming it's like mine eco-normal-sport). You can man up and tough it in eco when your legs have bedded in a bit.
Mine has another mode, Eco+, which is lower than Eco. I tried that one but it was too difficult. I want to push myself to help with fitness and losing half a stone, hence why I decided to use Eco mainly, with a little bit of Std and High on the hills. Aside from my legs feeling like lead when I first got back, I didn't even break into a sweat (or glisten as we ladies do!), and with hindsight I could have gone some way more than the 13 miles we did. Also, I have in my mind to use this bike as a stepping stone to a 'normal' road bike. I have my eye on a nice carbon Bianchi that I saw at the Cycle Show last month. Having said that, I would never be able to keep up with my bf. He had to go slower than normal and even overtook me on one hill when I was on High! However, he was telling me I was in the wrong gear, and I can't get used to them yet so I made sure that didn't happen on the next hill! lol He is back home on Friday so we will be going out then, and he will attempt to train me on the gears again!

argoose

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
south wales
PS: I thought I heard some clicking noise on top of the motor noise.
I think the ticking was the free hub. If your not spinning the cranks fast enough to keep up with the wheel the pawls will click as the free hub ratchet is moving faster than the free hub body.
It's the noise you hear when you stop peddling.

• Useful
Reactions: Old1Eye

louiem

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Hampshire
As an update, Lapierre are sending a replacement motor so hopefully we will receive that soon. Just as well I have a handy bf here to fit it, or rather I presume he can! Also, they offered a new chainset, although we don't require that. No comment however about the charger not being fitted with a UK plug! Anyway, fingers crossed the new motor will be quiet like this one was for the first 16 miles.

Reactions: Wheel-E