New ebike - teething problems or more?

louiem

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Hampshire
How come you have to fit the motor?, I'm sure that's a job for the shop you got the bike from.
It was bought online from Chain Reaction. Even so, they should fit it really. They are being rather presumptive that we can fit it, certainly I wouldn't be able to do it myself.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
If the noise was normal, I would have expected it to be there from the beginning but it wasn't. It was as good as silent until towards the end of my second outing on it. It started when we were on the flat and I was in Eco mode. I know nothing about these motors but maybe it could be a loose bearing?
My suggestion is that if you are a newbie, use the bike in full power mode until both your legs (and whatever ) harden up. Then you can revert back to more eco settings as you get that little bit fitter....or less sensitive.
There will be a whine from the motor on full power, but not irritating. Some packing grease might have muffled it for your first journey.I would imagine that a loose bearing would cause play in the pedal crankshaft area. Its always possible that you got a dud, but if so I would expect it to get very bad very quickly if so.. well within a months usage.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
As an update, Lapierre are sending a replacement motor so hopefully we will receive that soon. Just as well I have a handy bf here to fit it, or rather I presume he can! Also, they offered a new chainset, although we don't require that. No comment however about the charger not being fitted with a UK plug! Anyway, fingers crossed the new motor will be quiet like this one was for the first 16 miles.
The charger bit is easy to fix.. any hardware type shop or luggage shop tend to sell UK to European type adaptors. However don't be tempted to buy the so called shaver adaptors, they are marginal for your use... They are only expecting a tiny current not the 1 to 2 amps that the charger will want.

louiem

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Hampshire
The charger bit is easy to fix.. any hardware type shop or luggage shop tend to sell UK to European type adaptors. However don't be tempted to buy the so called shaver adaptors, they are marginal for your use... They are only expecting a tiny current not the 1 to 2 amps that the charger will want.
It was fitted with an EU plug, so a UK to EU wouldn't work and we have plenty of those here. Sometimes those two pins can still be made to work in our sockets but this one wouldn't, so as I mentioned in my first post, my bf fitted a UK one. However, they shouldn't be sending out chargers that can't be used here and the recipient has to fix it or buy an adapted themselves.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
It was fitted with an EU plug, so a UK to EU wouldn't work and we have plenty of those here. Sometimes those two pins can still be made to work in our sockets but this one wouldn't, so as I mentioned in my first post, my bf fitted a UK one. However, they shouldn't be sending out chargers that can't be used here and the recipient has to fix it or buy an adapted themselves.
While in the great scheme of things, its only a small matter, and easily rectified, I think it's actually illegal. One of the EU directives, requires that plug tops on products adhere to the national standard.,for products sold in any national territory.

Reactions: louiem

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
This looks to highlight how some on line retailers are able to undercut hard pressed dealers and problems like this would not arise if we bought local but unfortunately it costs more. The op is lucky to have someone skilled enough to sort this out but for any other unskilled newby it could be a serious issue. I am sure the supplier would agree for it's return but that in itself could be a serious problem if you don't have anywhere to store the massive box it came in.
I would have thought that a uk supplier of an electrical item to be used in the uk should be legally bound to supply said item fit for uk use.

louiem

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Hampshire
While in the great scheme of things, its only a small matter, and easily rectified, I think it's actually illegal. One of the EU directives, requires that plug tops on products adhere to the national standard.,for products sold in any national territory.
I think you right. It appears to be Plugs and Sockets etc. (Safety) Regulations 1994 (S.I. 1994/1768). This is the legislation according to the gov.uk site:

The regulations apply to electrical plugs, sockets and adaptors ordinarily intended for domestic use at a voltage of not less than 200 volts and to fuse links suitable for use with such plugs and adaptors for use in the UK.. They also require that most domestic electrical products must be supplied correctly fitted with a fused and approved UK three-pin plug (BS 1363) or approved ‘conversion plug’, ie. a device which may be engaged with a socket conforming to BS 1363 and which is designed to enable a non-UK plug to be engaged with such a socket.

Coverage
The legislation relates specifically to domestic appliances.

Intention of legislation
Most electrical equipment intended for use in and around the home will need to comply with the Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994. Additionally the Regulations require that the majority of such equipment, when placed on the UK market, must be fitted with a plug that has been approved by a notified body and either conforms to BS 1363 or offers an equivalent level of safety.

As an alternative to fitting a BS 1363 plug, it is permissible, to fit a ‘conversion plug’ The ‘conversion plug’ must be approved by a notified body and meet various conditions set out in the Regulations. An ‘adaptor’ is not a conversion plug.
I wonder if an ebike is classed as a domestic appliance? I am thinking it should be as it is charged up in the home, generally.

louiem

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Hampshire
This looks to highlight how some on line retailers are able to undercut hard pressed dealers and problems like this would not arise if we bought local but unfortunately it costs more. The op is lucky to have someone skilled enough to sort this out but for any other unskilled newby it could be a serious issue. I am sure the supplier would agree for it's return but that in itself could be a serious problem if you don't have anywhere to store the massive box it came in.
I would have thought that a uk supplier of an electrical item to be used in the uk should be legally bound to supply said item fit for uk use.
We are quite fortunate that we have a large outbuilding, which is already sky high with junk, but that box is mahoosive. I did wonder what other people do with the box in the very short term, even in a regular garage, it would take up a lot of space. I have to say, that I would be extremely loathe to buy a bike online again. I am also considering asking the supplier to arrange for the motor to be fitted, I don't think that is something that we should do, even though we may have the capability of doing so. We are within our 30 day period when we don't have to accept a repair, however I will do so, because I think I would be hard pushed to find another bike with the same spec for the same money.

louiem

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Hampshire
These are the excluded appliances, so I think Danidl is right:

1. Any fixed luminaire, being a luminaire which cannot easily be moved from one place to another, either because it can only be removed with the use of a tool, or because it is intended for use out of easy reach.

2. Any ceiling–rose connector (that is to say a connector designed to hold up overhead electric lighting fittings).

3. Any electric light designed and intended to be located within a recess in a wall or ceiling.

4. Any appliance which is fitted with an rcd plug.

5. Any appliance which is fitted with a plug transformer.

6. Any appliance which is fitted with a plug other than a standard plug which is designed to engage with a compatible portable multiple socket outlet.

7. Any appliance which is intended to be permanently connected to the fixed wiring of the mains system other than by means of a plug and socket.

D

Deleted member 4366

Spare motor for nothing. I call that a bit of a result. I wouldn't even bother fitting it unless the one in the bike completely craps out. Stick it in the cupboard under the stairs, then sell it on Ebay in a couple of years for £500. I'd keep quiet about everything else in case they ask for the old motor back.

Reactions: Danidl