New ebiker for seafront daily commute

jake369

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 6, 2017
Sussex
Hi from Sussex, a 20 mile round trip along the coast to and from work each day. I've done it for a year but found all of last year I hardly did any bike touring at the weekends because I was too knackered. The head wind can be a killer some days.

I've got a Marin Fairfax SC2 hybrid of which I'm in the middle of fitting a kit from Oxydrive, not yet finished. Having problems fitting the PAS sensor due to bottom bracket axle too small, am changing bottom bracket at the moment. Problems fitting the readout on the handlebars, some playing about needed to fit it properly but fine where it is at the moment.

Very much a beginner on all things ebike. A life long cyclist for fun (cycle touring) and work (commuting). Basic mechanical knowledge.

2017-02-02 22.09.44.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

jake369

Jan 6, 2017
Sussex
Afraid not, it is oversized in the middle. I've got some tips from others on how they have achieved it and so will look into that at the weekend.

I also have problems with the trigger shifters hitting the throttle where it currently is.

D

Deleted member 4366

The LCD bracket fits on oversize handlebars. Are there not removable inserts in the bracket? These are oversize handlebars in the photo, and you can see that it fits:

D

Deleted member 4366

In any event, the Oxydrive display, like most has two fixing holes in the back so you can make your own bracket out of 16g (1.6mm) aluminium sheet. Dremmel out a hole the size of the stem cap and drill 2 holes for the LCD. You can make the rest whatever shape you want. It's much stronger than the plastic bracket (read more vandal proof) and leaves your bars free for other accessories:

jake369

Jan 6, 2017
Sussex
Yep - def no inserts on the bracket, and def a small size. I plan to have a play with things over the weekend

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Hello Jake :)

I can empathise over the headwind as my house sits squarely (or at least it feels like it) in the line of where the planets wind hits Beachy Head and diverts off my way.

I used to do Eastbourne to St Leonards for work, now thankfully it's just one side of Eastbourne to the other.

Gaz

jake369

Jan 6, 2017
Sussex
I'm just down the road from you Gaz - Worthing/Brighton trip. One way can be good, the way home can be a bit of a battle.....

Reactions: Gaz

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Hi from Sussex, a 20 mile round trip along the coast to and from work each day. I've done it for a year but found all of last year I hardly did any bike touring at the weekends because I was too knackered. The head wind can be a killer some days.
20 miles is a heck of a ride to do day in-day out on a normal bike as well as work. I think your going to see such a difference you'll wonder why you didn't do this a year ago from the start !!

• Agree
Reactions: mw1

jake369

Jan 6, 2017
Sussex
My biggest problem currently is being knackered at the weekend, and knackered when I get into work, and when I get home! I used to do a lot of cycle touring (different bike) at the weekends but I noticed I had only done 3 trips last year due to this. If it wasn't for my weekend trips, I would be fine with a normal bike during the week, but I am looking forward to feeling the difference come next week when I hope start using the bike with the kit.

Reactions: LeighPing

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I don't envy anyone that has to commute along the coastline, especially East to West.

I often find that even on the eMTB that this even this short 1.8mile downhill stretch which has a descent of just 293ft, can really have you working for it.

On a lovely day with no wind, you can hit roughly 30mph, but on a windy day you can struggle to hit 7mph in sport mode!

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: LeighPing and Gaz
I'm just down the road from you Gaz - Worthing/Brighton trip. One way can be good, the way home can be a bit of a battle.....
I think you're bang on the right track with adding the electric assist. I did the Worthing/Brighton run daily both with and without assist for several winter months; without can certainly be made nearly impossible on bad days when the winds are up. Basin Road South, urgh!
I went from hating the prospect to looking forward to the ride.
I hope joining the electric revolution works out for you.
Happy riding ahead me thinks.

Sent using this crappy tapatalk app. that has such poor functionality I can't even click 'like'!