new Electric Bike Magazine online 1st issue out today

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
Yes, i had a good look through their 1st edition online last night and I wish them every success as I've never found that A2B mag very objective. Unfortunately, that same lack of objectivity and fairness is evident in this forum also and unless those "experts" and other opinionated subscribers take a more open-minded view of things and stop patronising their favourite importers & dealers, we will always be ripped off in the ebike market.

If there were no money to be made from importing/selling ebikes, those who involve themselves in such pursuits would simply change to flogging something else. They're only traders after all; not dedicated cyclists and they have no particular interest in ebikes. We're all being mugged by the kind of people who run businesses and attempt to endear themselves to potential customers throught the medium of this forum.

It occurred to me shortly after joining this forum that there are some great, top quality ebikes out there which are ignored or poorly reviewed by certain members here. Equally, there are some great value, Oriental imports given the same treatment. Some of the bikes which seem highly regarded and receive frequent accolades in this forum are not very special at all in my view, having actually now ridden a few. I have come to understand those guys who take the DIY route into ebiking and I appreciate the efforts of the likes of Cytronex who do things slightly differently from the herd.

An alternative ebike forum, free of sycophants and apologists, would be highly desirable in my view. Having a forum/interest group with representatives of the marketing people on board is simply wrong and is a situation which lends itself to having some forum members beholding to those with vested interests and hence, unbalanced reporting.

It never ceases to astonish me that people in internet forums can offer certain selective statistics while ignoring other factual statistics, simply to justify a case or principle which they know is wrong or, at best, spurious......and go unchallenged!

Frankly, if the ebike market dies a death over the next few years, I shan't give a toss as I can still ride a normal lightweight bicycle without all the aggravation of expensive batteries, excessive weight and so on. If the bottom does fall out of the market, this forum will be culpable for failing to roundly condemn the exorbitant prices being charged by a bunch of chancers who will simply switch to selling fake designer watches on ebay or something equally squalid.

I so like to be optomistic!

deadmonkey

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2010
GL12
I haven't seen any indication, barring the initial trial period, that people aren't free to express an opinion here.

Indeed haven't you partly undermined your criticism of this forum by proving that you can express a negative perspective freely?

Last edited:

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Dear Indalo

I just don't understand why you have suddenly adopted this attitude towards Pedelecs UK and it's members. You joined the 'herd' ( I am neither cow nor elephant ) in 2009 when you purchased a secondhand Gazelle Easy Glider ( on Ebay!), and received an enormous amount of helpful advice from the 'sycophants' and 'apologists' of which you speak. I could go on and point out the many contradictions in your post, but at the same time I see nothing in your posting which deserves any further response from me.

What on earth has happened in your life to warrant this undeserved attack, It's not even a full moon!!

Ta Ta then
Bob

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
Erm...no!

Apart from wishing to correct my typo re OPTIMISM, I am happy with my contribution. Please explain the point you make as any time I have expressed anything other than the popular, "expert"-driven view, I have come up against the apologists who believe all they are told by the industry and marketeers.

They manipulate statistics to justify the indefensible which might be okay except that there are so many sheep in this forum who happily allow that without challenge! Every single person who looks at this forum understands how a bike works. Some, however, would have us believe that adding a battery to power a small motor in the 21st century is a major technological advance. Well, it ain't! If you are simply one of those who actually believe that Li-ion technology is so far advanced and costly to produce for the masses of applications out there, then you are sadly mistaken. The technology has been around for a really long time but has advanced slowly.

The progress made has been slow, partly because people don't actually need anything better than what is currently available. The companies who actually manufacture batteries don't invest in R&D as you might imagine. Instead, they donate a little to a few select universities so they can explore ideas. Only when a cracking new development comes up, does a manufacturer spend a little more to further develop the new idea. You then pay for R&D which actually cost the battery manufacturer cock-all!

There are members on here who are electricians; there are people who are good with electronics; there are others who are good at cycling or doing mechanical things but we have been infiltrated by those with vested interests and the market is skewed in their favour, aided and abetted by venerated members of the forum.

Bob, you could have stopped after your first 4 words, "I just don't understand..." Clearly, you are one of those to whom I refer!

Let's tell it like it is. Be honest about the bikes, the batteries, the back-up from dealers and if everything is so great, why do so many people swap sprockets, chain wheels etc?

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Welcome to the world of niece hobbies, of course there is no great advances the market is not big enough to support it. If the sales of electrical bikes was all that was driving battery R&D we would still be using Duracell's. Welcome to the real world, big industry drives R&D not small bicycle firms. The car industry will have to bring on battery technology not tiny bicycle manufacturers. I'm afraid until electric bikes become mainstream we are stuck with a small band of people, yes business men but some are also keen cyclist. Apart from a few of the bigger concerns i would say selling electric bikes in this climate is a thankless task and if all i was concerned about was money i would be in a different game.

deadmonkey

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2010
GL12
There are members on here who are electricians; there are people who are good with electronics; there are others who are good at cycling or doing mechanical things
I'm not in any of those camps, I've got no such skills but I was just looking for something which would help me with a daily commute with as little hassle as possible.

I'm posting in this thread because in the last couple of months I've found some very useful information in this forum and some very helpful folk, although of course like any forum there are plenty I disagree with too ;)

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Yes, i had a good look through their 1st edition online last night and I wish them every success as I've never found that A2B mag very objective. Unfortunately, that same lack of objectivity and fairness is evident in this forum also and unless those "experts" and other opinionated subscribers take a more open-minded view of things and stop patronising their favourite importers & dealers, we will always be ripped off in the ebike market.

If there were no money to be made from importing/selling ebikes, those who involve themselves in such pursuits would simply change to flogging something else. They're only traders after all; not dedicated cyclists and they have no particular interest in ebikes. We're all being mugged by the kind of people who run businesses and attempt to endear themselves to potential customers throught the medium of this forum.

It occurred to me shortly after joining this forum that there are some great, top quality ebikes out there which are ignored or poorly reviewed by certain members here. Equally, there are some great value, Oriental imports given the same treatment. Some of the bikes which seem highly regarded and receive frequent accolades in this forum are not very special at all in my view, having actually now ridden a few. I have come to understand those guys who take the DIY route into ebiking and I appreciate the efforts of the likes of Cytronex who do things slightly differently from the herd.

An alternative ebike forum, free of sycophants and apologists, would be highly desirable in my view. Having a forum/interest group with representatives of the marketing people on board is simply wrong and is a situation which lends itself to having some forum members beholding to those with vested interests and hence, unbalanced reporting.

It never ceases to astonish me that people in internet forums can offer certain selective statistics while ignoring other factual statistics, simply to justify a case or principle which they know is wrong or, at best, spurious......and go unchallenged!

Frankly, if the ebike market dies a death over the next few years, I shan't give a toss as I can still ride a normal lightweight bicycle without all the aggravation of expensive batteries, excessive weight and so on. If the bottom does fall out of the market, this forum will be culpable for failing to roundly condemn the exorbitant prices being charged by a bunch of chancers who will simply switch to selling fake designer watches on ebay or something equally squalid.

I so like to be optomistic!
That's a bit harsh isn't it inaldo?

I think that we are all intelligent enough to pick through the various posts made by retailers, owners, manufacturers, those beholden to vested interests, and experts to arrive at a conclusion. Indeed, the input from such diverse sources makes for a rich blend of information about a particular product. Views, opinions and outrageous marketing claims are frequently challenged and that makes this forum an ideal place to learn the truth about a particular product which interests you.

Whilst I have voiced an opinion regarding overinflated battery and bike prices, I realise that someone has got to raise the capital, invest and take the risk of importing a product. This is a bold and risky move which can have a lot riding on it. If no one was prepared to take the risk, we wouldn't be enjoying such an increasingly wide range of products to choose from. That risk has to be rewarded.

"It never ceases to astonish me that people in internet forums can offer certain selective statistics while ignoring other factual statistics, simply to justify a case or principle which they know is wrong or, at best, spurious......and go unchallenged!"

An example or two would be a wise thing to include here. It would boost your credibility rating a little.

You seem to imply that we are somehow being mugged. Maybe we are, I don't know. If you feel so strongly about it, strongly enough to speak in derogatory terms about this forum and its members, why don't you do something about it? Why don't you put your wallet where your mouth is and import some quality ebikes at, "non rip-off" prices for us all to enjoy? After all, you seem to think that there is some easy money to be made.

Last edited:

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
...we have been infiltrated by those with vested interests and the market is skewed in their favour, aided and abetted by venerated members of the forum.
The vast amount of contributions to this forum are from ordinary owners of ebikes, offering or asking for opinions and advice. The contributions from retailers and distributors are usually helpful, and if they do occasionally overstep the mark in trumpeting their own products, it is swiftly pointed out to them.

If this is not a model that appeals to you, then you know what to do.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The simple fact Indalo is that you are not representative of the majority of the e-bike market and your views therefore mean nothing to most in this arena.

You admit you don't need e-power and are therefore a fit cyclist, but most e-bike customers do very much need that added power. It follows that your desires are not the needs of most, so in a small market you will be badly served.

Your views are valid for you and a small minority, but you'll find little sympathy in any mainstream e-bike forum, here or in any alternative.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
, why do so many people swap sprockets, chain wheels etc?
Same reason they do so on push bikes! we are all different shapes sizes and fitness levels, and not all gearing arrangements suit everyone. Even when I used to be on more conventional cycling groups/forums folk are doing this all the time...

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Over the last year I have been playing around with 2 and 3 speed internal geared rear hubs and its pretty much essential to get main chain ring and rear sprocket size right for your terrain/weight/fitness level etc as Alex states.

Regards

Jerry

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
.... and if everything is so great, why do so many people swap sprockets, chain wheels etc?
If you were at all knowledgeable, or enthusiastic about cycling, either ebike or not, and the human body size and physique you would know the answer to that.

Maybe you think that everybody should build their own ebike from scratch - sourcing each individual component and knowing their exact requirements as they do so. I found it a lot simpler to buy a Wisper off the shelf and personalise it to suit myself as I decided what I wanted to change.

I could have done what I did in the sixties and had a frame built exactly to my specifications and added all the other components.
However, I still had two sets of cranks (long and short), several chain wheels used in various combinations, several fixed wheel rear sprockets, and also freewheel rear sprockets - all used in numerous combinations. Then, of course there were the racing wheels, training wheels and touring wheels (with choice of tyres), a couple of sets of brakes and pedals. As long as I got the right components on the bike for any ride - whether touring, training or racing - then everything was OK. However if the weather conditions changed whilst I was out, I often wished I chosen differently.

If the Wisper wasn't an ebike I would certainly change the gearing. As it is, I can't be bothered because the motor helps to counter the slight shortcomings I find with them. Rider "B" would find the gears perfect, whilst Rider "C" would deem it necessary to change them.

I also query your use of "so many" - what is the percentage of a) forum members, and; b) all ebike riders - that have changed chainwheels, and\or sprockets: or is this just your totally unfounded view,simply to justify a case or principle which you know is wrong or, at best, spurious.

Colin

EdBike

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2010
Indalo,

You mention two things that are right on my to do list:

1) Get folks on here to nominate a bunch of excellent bikes, review them independently and find out which one's are best at what. A project for when it gets warmer in the spring

2) Give dealers a similar treatment to figure out who is really best in terms of service, prices, range, after-service support, ability to pick up a phone and more.

You can read more here: http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/7287-how-electric-bikes-could-take-off-uk.html

Hope this helps,

Ed