New Electric Bike. What features do you want?

Brad

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 1, 2007
I live in Monrovia CA USA
I know of a manufacture who is interested in producing another electric bike.
I'm wondering what you guys would like to see as far as features, price, materials etc...
Tell me all.
I know you are limited in power and speed.
The pedelec function worked great on our last bike. We are trying to figure out another way of doing that, but so far have not been able to figure out an easy and inexpensive way of doing so.
So any ideas would be useful, even colors, seats, recumbents, motors, batteries, suspension, whatever you think would be better then what is out there already..

Thanks.

Brad

Last edited:

Brad

Aug 1, 2007
Solar charging would be easy!
Probably wouldn't need 250 mile range, at least a seat to go that distance would be useful too!
Speed.. I thought you guys have a speed limit there?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Speed.. I thought you guys have a speed limit there?
Yes we do in the UK.

15 mph on electric bikes everywhere.

National speed limit for all motor vehicles 60 mph, but dual carriageways and motorways 70 mph.

Mobility carriages 4 mph on pavements (sidewalks), 8 mph on roads.

technobear

Just Joined
Oct 14, 2008
Somerset
My starting point would be the Cytronex TREK 7.3FX which looks to be almost perfect.

To this I would add a sprung seat post and some mudguards that are in keeping with the MTB style - like the ones in the picture of my current ride below. The standard mudguards look so old-fashioned and completely ruin the look of the bike.

But the most important feature missing from the Cytronex is A TWO YEAR WARRANTY. This is a necessity for any electric bike IMO and is the only reason I am not ordering a Cytronex.

Brad

Aug 1, 2007
Ok on the mudguards and sprung seat.
We could put those as an accessory. Its easy to replace.
I'm also looking for styles of motors. Do most people like hub motors, front or rear? I myself like the motor to drive the crank or rear freewheel, so you get the benefits of the rear gearing! I love internal hub gearing. That way, everything goes through the gears, peddling and motor power..
Where do you like the batteries to be located?
I also like Li-Po cells, although they are expensive, they are light and contain lots of energy!

BH

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
The Agattu is the best fit I've found so far for my needs so I'll use that as my starting point. I don't have to commute to work daily, so for me the bike is more about fun/leisure than speed from A to B. I want a bike that can go to the supermarket and bring back a load of shopping... or take a toddler on the back for a trip to the swimming pool... or pop round to visit some mates for the evening... and of course... go to the local train station when I have to commute. I want a bike that can handle rural pathways as well as tarmac roads. The Agattu gives me all of that, but it's not quite perfect yet.

Here's the changes I'd make to my Agattu

1. Small lightweight charger - A battery range of 30+ miles means you can go and visit people a couple of hours ride away from home, but won't have the power to come home again... Sooner or later that charger is coming with you in panniers or a pocket.

2. Better Battery Security - Those batteries are expensive and far too easy to steal. The locking point on the Panasonic batteries seems to be made from plastic and I'm sure it would quickly break if given a kick or two.

3. Better Bike Security - Everyone's going to add a decent lock to the bike, so might as well start out with one as standard. A spoke lock on the front wheel as well as the back wouldn't be a bad idea either.

4. Better Front Lights - I want to see and be seen when I'm riding round the little country lanes here. LEDs have now surpassed fluorescents for efficiency and make a good choice.

5. Better Hill Climbing ability - I want more low gears, more high gears.. or maybe no gears at all (Nuvinci hub). I know the Panasonic crank motor system is better for hill climbing than hub motors, but there's some really steep hills around here with gradients in excess of 20% and I still have to get off and push sometimes. Someone already did a walk-beside mode with the panasonic system which seems like a good idea to me - At least the bike can push itself up the hill when you run out of steam.

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
Ironically people buy electric bikes to help them overcome hills. Unfortunately, any more than two or three moderate hills kill many ebikes batteries.
Not everyone is obsessed with speed. For some it's more important that the bike has good torque to deal with hills. Regrettably, saying the bike does 18mph all day turns more heads than saying it gets up the bloody hills ;)
Personally, the biggest improvement I would love to see is the ability of ebikes to have a good range in hilly country - probably asking the impossible.
I live in North Cornwall and SLA batteries give around 10 miles here (hub motors) not sure what a drive through the gears would give - probably not a lot more. Changing my SLA to a LiFePo4 has given me a range of 19 miles. However, to get that range still requires a lot of input from me :(

technobear

Just Joined
Oct 14, 2008
Somerset
I'm also looking for styles of motors. Do most people like hub motors, front or rear?
I like the idea of a front hub motor because if the motor breaks then it's easy to replace the wheel with a regular one and keep using the bike until a replacement can be obtained.

I can see your point that using the motor through the gears enables it to keep working at its most efficient but I also think that whether attached to the crank or the rear bracket those motor arrangements are ugly.

One of the things I most like about the Cytronex is that it doesn't look like an electric bike.

Another thing I like about the Cytronex is that there are just three power settings - off, low and high - regardless of how hard you are peddling and no twist grip to contend with. It's simple. I'm a great believer in keeping things simple :)

Where do you like the batteries to be located?
I don't! :D

I don't want to see the batteries at all. I certainly don't want them to look like some kind of industrial bolt-on. This ruins the look of the bike. The same goes for the controller.

The new Infineum that's coming soon (allegedly) has an interesting solution of piling the batteries up on a rack but they have taken a good looking bike and added a truly ugly black rack that looks quite out of place and ruins the bike. An alloy rack would have looked better at least.

In addition I don't want to see wires strapped all over the place so that the bike looks like a DIY conversion (like the PowerByke X). The Cytronex makes a good attempt at making the bike look like it was designed as an e-bike even though it is still a conversion.

I also like Li-Po cells, although they are expensive, they are light and contain lots of energy!
From what I've read so far there seem to be two sides to this question. On the face of it you want the most Joules per kilogram that you can get as this will give the greatest range for the least weight. However there is also the question of how the power is supplied. A car battery wouldn't be much good if it could power the lights for 3 months but couldn't provide enough current to turn the engine over! Similarly with an electric bike, it's great to have a long range but if the battery can't deliver enough juice to the motor to get you up that steep hill then it has surely missed the point of having an e-bike.

(I'm starting to sound like an advert for Cytronex here :D I assure you I have no connection with them)

I want a bike that can go to the supermarket and bring back a load of shopping... or take a toddler on the back for a trip to the swimming pool... or pop round to visit some mates for the evening... and of course... go to the local train station when I have to commute.
Yep, all good uses for an e-bike. Clearly the provision of a decent rack is important to you. Adding a rack and a mudguard and retaining cool looks is quite a challenge - too much of a challenge for most e-bike makers it seems to me. I guess there are lots of people out there who are happy with standard mudguards. I hate them.

4. Better Front Lights - I want to see and be seen when I'm riding round the little country lanes here. LEDs have now surpassed fluorescents for efficiency and make a good choice.
Well you can always fit your own but yes I really like the idea of integrated lighting that is powered by the main battery. In the days when I had a 10 mile each way commute, I used to curse stopping to change the batteries in the lights. The Cytronex seems to get this right.

One question I would like to ask to Cytronex owners is how easy is it to move the integrated rear light from the seat tube to the back of a rack? Do you have to cut wires and make an extension?

5. Better Hill Climbing ability - I want more low gears, more high gears.. or maybe no gears at all (Nuvinci hub). I know the Panasonic crank motor system is better for hill climbing than hub motors, but there's some really steep hills around here with gradients in excess of 20% and I still have to get off and push sometimes. Someone already did a walk-beside mode with the panasonic system which seems like a good idea to me - At least the bike can push itself up the hill when you run out of steam.
A lighter machine must surely help here. I've read that it doesn't but you can't buck the laws of physics. You are raising that weight against gravity. The more weight, the more work needed.

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
"Pedalling" as in "pedal", not "peddling" as in "peddle", for f**k's sake, chaps!!
"Peddling" means selling, often illicitly, although a subsidiary meaning is also to busy oneself with trifling matters. Probably what I am doing here, though this particular misusage does wind me up to the extent that I probably don't need a hub motor.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
I think my ideal bike would be a folder, similar to a Brompton Nano, with maybe slightly bigger wheels, and electric assist.

I like the look of the Dahon Speed TR.

I agree that Crank drives are better in most circumstances that an ebike is needed.

I agree about the ease of Hub gears too, a RolHoff would be ideal.

A choice of frame sizes (or very adjustable frame) is a must for most.

A range of Battery sizes is good too, if you want to up your battery its nice to have a choice (even if you have to send the battery back to the manufacturer for recelling)

Built in lights are good, so long as they ARE good, we are talking lumens at the front and big red flashes at the back. Seriously, you cant have too many lights on a bike, so why not a flasher at both front and rear AND steady lights. Perhaps built in Reelights or something as standard as well as battery powered good ones.

Security, built in imobilisers, locking nuts all-round (including the seat) and alarm.

You could also consider the shaft drive instead of a chain drive, and front 'Bottom braket' gearing for increased gear ranges as options.

John

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A lighter machine must surely help here. I've read that it doesn't but you can't buck the laws of physics. You are raising that weight against gravity. The more weight, the more work needed.
Agreed, but this is usually grossly overplayed, the rider's much greater weight forgotten. A 17 kilo Cytronex is 18% lighter than a 20.8 kilo Pro Connect which sounds very valuable, but add a typical 13 stone rider to both and the weight difference is reduced to less than 3.7%. That tiny difference will scarcely be detectable under typical climb conditions.

Phil the drill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2008
TR9
Ironically people buy electric bikes to help them overcome hills. Unfortunately, any more than two or three moderate hills kill many ebikes batteries.
Not everyone is obsessed with speed. For some it's more important that the bike has good torque to deal with hills. Regrettably, saying the bike does 18mph all day turns more heads than saying it gets up the bloody hills ;)
Personally, the biggest improvement I would love to see is the ability of ebikes to have a good range in hilly country - probably asking the impossible.
I live in North Cornwall and SLA batteries give around 10 miles here (hub motors) not sure what a drive through the gears would give - probably not a lot more. Changing my SLA to a LiFePo4 has given me a range of 19 miles. However, to get that range still requires a lot of input from me :(
Couldn't agree more with you - possibly because I live in the same area!
I wouldn't bother with an electric bike at all if it weren't for the those damn great switch backs :eek: . I can get to and from Wadebridge on a pushbike, but I sure as hell know I've done it! I don't need help on the flat, I need it to get up the hills with all my gear for work etc. Please put hub motors in that have the torque to get up hills, rather than ones that make you get round on the flat a bit faster (although on the flat I can knock spots off most normal ebikes on my Ridgeback, unless there is a stiff headwind). Drive through the gears may be better, but properly selected hub motors will do the trick, witness the old Powabykes, even with all their bulk.

Phil

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
Adding to my list of desired features...

Anti-lock brakes :) - Seriously, this shouldn't be too hard to implement given the ready supply of electricity to drive servos and sensors. All we need to do is detect when the wheel locks up and then momentarily lengthen the brake cable.

wotwozere

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2008
A good set of panniers as standard.
A waterproof canopy
Bike lock that can wrap around posts
Heavy option
50 miles plus range
2 Second charging
Regenerative braking with solar wings for parking

thx

Boib

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I'd like adaptability, no bike will be perfect for me in standard form. I want braze on fittings, disk fittings, V brake fittings, rack fittings, mudguard fittings and anything else like that.
Lights aren't much good to me as I need very good lights (cree) that will add too much money to the cost for most people but anything less is a waste of money for me. Leave the lights off and let people decide what is appropriate.
I also need to modify the gears to suit my location, internal hubs and a Panasonic type drive make this very difficult. Panasonic type drive also prevents people from using their own preferred cadence which IMO is a big problem for someone who wants to do a lot of cycling. Don't forget it is an electric assisted bike and build a pedal assisted PTW.

Encantador

Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2008
One question I would like to ask to Cytronex owners is how easy is it to move the integrated rear light from the seat tube to the back of a rack? Do you have to cut wires and make an extension?

Looks easy, wires are held in light by clamp (for want of a better desrciption), release clamp, extend wires whichever way you prefer, not sure how you would fit the light to the rack though.

Brad

Aug 1, 2007
I'm still taking all of this in.
I suppose the best way to do things like lighting, fenders, racks is to add them as an option rather than coming standard as people like different things.
Its easy to fit different brakes, seats, tires etc...
Having a choice of batteries is a good option!
I'm going to look at this Cytronex bike that everyone is talking about.
Please take a look at the Charger Electric bike and give me some feedback about what you like or don't like about it!
Charger Electric Bicycles, E-Bike kits, and More!.
Thanks again guy for all of the info..

Brad

Andrew harvey

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2008
Wyre Forest
www.smiths-cycles.com
Rode something very similar, possibly the same make of bike about 10 years ago around the foothills of the Col De La Forclas by lake Annecy, then spent a fair time trying to track the make down.
The bike felt very top heavy when stationary, I would say it was at least the same weight as a powabike maybe heavier, (it was a long time ago). On the move with my fat behind on board it was less of an issue. handled quite nicely, but it wasn't agile enough, climbed the alpine foothills with ease.
I think it was a match for my 408 Crystayte on the flat for speed with the advantage of lower gearing when changing down through the hub.
This bike though flawed (weight) interested me, when I later tried a Panasonic unit (Lafree) I thought it sucked, no power no speed no guts.

If I was spec'ing the bike out I'd want a lighter CroMo frame with CroMo forks, then you wouldn't need to waste weight on suspension, but most important a skip to dump the lead acids into!
Is this bike still available? I was told they weren't being made any more.
Perhaps I should go back and actually read what it says on the website properly, to answer my own questions.