New from Woosh, mileage predictor

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
We've a new addition on our website. Click on our Predictor program and type in your town or post code. It will then tell you which of our bikes would be suitable for a range of distances from that point outwards - handy, we hope, 'specially for commuters.

Commuting Range Predictor | Woosh e-bikes | electric bicycles sales & hire

Useful? Could be better? Feedback welcome.

I'd like to call it Clearway but sounds a bit like a pregnancy test......

Hatti

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
Very good Hatti a nice touch, I like it.
I assume the core is that of Google cycle router tool. Some extra information like time of journey might be useful (obviously other variables could be added).

Update: Works fine for me and prioritised national cycle route (24) rather than main roads.

Last edited:

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
does not appear to work or at least not for my post code.

Just thought it might be my hopelessly out of date browser at work (IE 8)

Shroppielass

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2008
Shrewsbury
Its not working for me. The page appeared with a Cambridge postcode (your shop there?) but nothing happens when I click "next." If I return to the page it shows last place that I entered but still no results. :confused:

50 Hertz

Pedelecer
Mar 6, 2013
Just tried it out.

Are the red, green and blue lines based on a return trip or is that range one-way?

Does the predicted range take into account the terrain or is it simply the best case scenario range plotted as a radius about my home address?

It is a very rough guide and might be ok to lump bikes into groups for the purpose of either elimination or further investigation. I wouldn't rely on it for anything more than that. There is no substitute for investing time in research and trials.

A nice touch to your website and it shows that you are keen to assist customers with their choice. Well done.

Just better add that it worked on an iPad using 3G on the A1 near Newcastle.

FPO

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
A great touch Hatti overall

Yes, its going to very rough approximation, we are all very aware range is determined by so many variables. So it doesnt matter how you go about trying to create a one-size-fits-all answer - aintever gonna happen with any real accuracy

However, the reason I think it is so great is this - it is the first time I've ever seen a simple, interactive visualization of range data. A couple of additional points from me would be - it doesnt work for me on I.E 8 but does on Firefox on PC. I'll happlly check safari/firefox and chrome on my mac when i get home. It would be good to make wether thats return range clearer to the user

Last edited:

Taff

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2011
Wrexham
It's good to talk.
Typed in my postcode and there are the 3 lovely circles. They don't of course take account of the terrain eg going west I would be climbing 400m; going east I would be descending 60m.
Not sure how useful this is in its basic form but as 50 Hertz said it's good you are trying to assist customers. :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Excellent tool Hatti, could be very useful for many to help them choose when buying an e-bike.

Works over long ranges too, I'd need 1.5 kWh of batteries to visit you!

Or 12.5 kWh to go to East Kilbride!

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Interesting and good for guidance I am sure.

I commute from Cherry Hinton, Cambridge to Madingley Park and Ride so probably your blue zone. My actual commute is 5.25 miles each way. On my Brompton with its small Goldant motor I can get by on about 2.5 - 3Ah (say a 4Ah to leave enough juice in the battery) for a round commute. I actually use a 2.3Ah, 1kg battery and charge at work :p

I am usually traveling at about 12-13mh average speed across the lovely flat Cambridge city center.

I still need to pop down to your Cambridge shop and take a look at the CDs.

Jerry.

Last edited:

anniegirl

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2013
Lancashire
I like it......will give me an idea as to how far I can go. At the moment I just go on my mileage and the battery indicator. Would be good if different search parameters such as an approx wind speed etc., could be added in to the search. List of bike results does not include the Sirocco Sport :(...........that's the bike that I have. Is it possible to include this bike in the search results?

D

Deleted member 4366

It's really good. It seems to be about right for the way I ride. I put in some of my favourite locations and it showed me much better routes than I normally use.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Thanks for comments so far everyone. We have hopefully fixed bugs and made some things a bit clearer but please continue to tell us if something is wrong or you have suggestions.

We have now done not just the commute but a one way place-to-place planner in case someone wants to do a bit of touring, might be useful for holidays or rentals.

Hatti

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Unfortunately it doesn't really work for me :(

Unless I'm missing something (which is quite likely) it seems to always route me along major roads.

My favourite icecream route is from Roche (PL26 8**) to Padstow & it sends me along the Atlantic Highway; whereas there are 2 or more shorter & quieter routes.

Is there a way to set route preferences, as in Cyclestreets? ie fastest, quietest or intermediate.

Good fun, though & a very handy range indicator, which is, after all, what it says on the tin.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Works nicely for me on Macbook/Firefox.

I agree with Hattie about the name, as soon as I saw 'predictor' in the thread title I thought of pregnancy testing kits.

The obvious alternative word is 'calculator', although it has too many syllables to be snappy.

Nothing better springs immediately to mind.