New Front Wheel and Disc Fitted

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Afternoon All,
Just a quick report to say i've been messing around with my very very messy bike again. Its taking a bit of a beating as we are now getting into some rubbish weather.

Anyway a few of you may remember I posted a topic on V brake health

Anyway Alan from Just1bikes got in touch and offered me a pretty good deal on the below.

Shimano XT hub
Shimano disc brake
Shimano 160mm rotar
Laced into a 700c Double walled Rim
Brake Cable inner and outer

Rear Shimano Gear Inner (I snapped mine)

All at a hideously cheap price (You'd have trouble buying the parts for the price I got them for.)

Wheel arrived start of this week but I've been unable to pick them up. Anyway well packaged and all perfect and true once out the packaging.
Couple of hours later and its all installed.

Hopefully now I wont be riding into the back of any cars in the wet. ;-) Hopefully...

I've been out on it this afternoon and all feels positive. They are childs play to setup correctly and although they lack the inital bite that V-brakes gave me previously (as well as a weight penalty) they are very progressive giving good feel.

I wouldn't say they are any powerful but they are more predictable and wont wear down the new rim. (Which now matches my rear one).

All in all I can sing Alan's praises again and be a happy customer with full gear range and stopping ability again.

DIRTY BPM!!!

Hurricane

Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2010
Perthshire
Afternoon scottyf

Great looking bike. I am starting to build two bikes and need the electric kit for them.
I too was contacted by Alan at just1bike and he is going to build the wheels with bafang 350w motor and supply controllers, brake levers, pedelec sensor, and thumb throttles all at an amazing price.(Even cheaper than anything I can find on the net) If the wheels look anything like your purchase I will be really impressed.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
I think you'll be happy with the BPM. Quite a robust geared motor as long as you don't go to mad with it.
As i've said in previous posts the clutch can sometimes stick on. This has only happened a couple of times but other than that its been fine.

Let see how it copes during the winter.

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
Where's your batteries Scotty? It looks a bit like my Marin muirwoods bike (although mine has a front hub motor).

and where's your mudguards? My bike is usually plastered in grime. Most of it comes from the V brakes depositing grey aluminium all over the rims and tyres. At least you won't get that now with your disc brake. Are you going to fit one to the back wheel also?

I have a BPM motor on it's way, but i have bought another bike especially for it. It's an old GT LTS full suspension. Looking forward to get that one running soon. It's a chrome moly frame allowing me to weld brackets on it, so a disc brake setup on both wheel is looking a good option....(probably going to need it with the winding i have ordered :)).

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
I have mudguards but haven't fitted them back on.
They tend to get in the way as there only the cheap ones which once you go over a few bumps tend to drift out of alignment. I probably should get some more but I wear the correct clothing not to be bothered by rain.

Never thought about a rear disc. Not sure if it's compatible to be honest. Although I have put new pads on the rear with some avid ones and they have much better feel and grip. It was mainly about getting the braking force in the wet.

Batteries are lipo in a backpack as I moved away from a rack and front motor setup. Then had the bpm and battery in a rack and it was a wheelie machine with that weight and panniers.
So road unassisted for a while and liked a normal setup. Thought I'll do what our American chums are doing and stick it all in a backpack.

Now like it as the only extra weight is the rear motor. The rest I carry with an umbilical cord connection.