New Gtech ebike

Breezy

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2016
Weston Super Mare
I wonder if GTech will let my wife ride a 30 mile circuit next week? That would be an eye opener! I think ebike battery range is just like "how long is a piece of string"

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

it does and it will ;)

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I wonder if GTech will let my wife ride a 30 mile circuit next week? That would be an eye opener! I think ebike battery range is just like "how long is a piece of string"
Exactly.. this watts per mile thing is rubbish.
I can ride to skipton, about 9 miles with no wind and use 4 % of the battery. Another day into a stiff wind I will use 10%.
One just can't generalise...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Exactly.. this watts per mile thing is rubbish.
I can ride to skipton, about 9 miles with no wind and use 4 % of the battery. Another day into a stiff wind I will use 10%.
One just can't generalise...

Yes, it's an average, but over a reasonable distance it's a good approximation.

My point is that if you use less than about 6wh/mile you don't need (or get much benefit from) an assisted bike, so companies that use a figure if 3.4wh/mile are using figures that are totally unrealistic.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

• Informative

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
10 miles and used 2 bars phill try beat that on the giant.;)

• Informative

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Yes, it's an average, but over a reasonable distance it's a good approximation.

My point is that if you use less than about 6wh/mile you don't need (or get much benefit from) an assisted bike, so companies that use a figure if 3.4wh/mile are using figures that are totally unrealistic.

Ok Alan and just to be argumentative in a friendly way ..[emoji41]
Why does one of my bikes go 50% further than the other three? On average that is....
I am not talking about bit further.. it's a lot further, whatever the road conditions the giant goes so much further than the 3 bosch mtb's on a single charge. I know why this is but it shows why one can't generalise. I can average 17mph on the giant and get into the 20's on the flat,but struggle at anything over 15 on the 3 mtb's and I would agree that perhaps I don't need an ebike if a ride out didn't involve a 1000ft climb.

• Informative

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
waight gearing and how fit you are dongle the mtb and you will be faster dongle the giant and you will be setting the brakes on fire and be even faster.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Ok Alan and just to be argumentative in a friendly way ..[emoji41]
Why does one of my bikes go 50% further than the other three? On average that is....
I am not talking about bit further.. it's a lot further, whatever the road conditions the giant goes so much further than the 3 bosch mtb's on a single charge. I know why this is but it shows why one can't generalise. I can average 17mph on the giant and get into the 20's on the flat,but struggle at anything over 15 on the 3 mtb's and I would agree that perhaps I don't need an ebike if a ride out didn't involve a 1000ft climb.

I've no idea, as you don't quantify your results in any meaningful way.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
waight gearing and how fit you are dongle the mtb and you will be faster dongle the giant and you will be setting the brakes on fire and be even faster.
Hey mate its like a rocket downhill .. tonight it was up over 40 on a downhill bit before I could blink.. they don't call me guy martin so you can't keep your dongle. Thanks

• :D

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I've no idea, as you don't quantify your results in any meaningful way.

It's like this. Slick tyres, lower and more efficient riding position means it goes faster and further for the same effort so must use less power. If it's easier for me to pedal it then it must be easier for the battery to push it as well . I wouldn't know how to quantify all this as I am not particularly scientific but it's obvious to me when I ride the mtb on the road for 20 miles and I am 2 segments down. Sometimes on the giant I still have 5 showing after the same 20 miles but two segments tend to be 30 to 35 miles.

• Informative

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
dongles make no difference down hill and about 25 off my max id not recommend it tho as the disc got so hot it looked like it had been sat in a fire lol.

and i only went that fast because how heavy me and the bike is but given the avg speed you can get over distance id win a 25 mile race you would win a 30 mile one.

• Informative

wheatear

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 14, 2016
Hampshire
Yep, no street cred! Get on down Mary Poppins! Not to mention the weight. Sorry my research really was extremely extensive! The Gtech ticked our boxes.
Whether one talks about 'street cred' or simply good looks, the point remains that many cyclists obtain pleasure from the ownership of a good-looking bike. So far I haven't seen any other e-bike as good -looking as the Gtech, though I have ruled it out for myself as I do want hub gears.

The Momentum bike referred to above does indeed look as if it was for Mary Poppins. And those big Dutch bikes mostly have the same look. Has anyone come across an e-bike that is good looking and well-specified? Admittedly, good looks are a subjective matter, but I'm sure some of this community will know what I mean and why I care.

Last edited:

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
dongles make no difference down hill and about 25 off my max id not recommend it tho as the disc got so hot it looked like it had been sat in a fire lol.

and i only went that fast because how heavy me and the bike is but given the avg speed you can get over distance id win a 25 mile race you would win a 30 mile one.
And a 40 and a 50 and a 60 and a 70...Tho that would depend on how many batteries you can stuff in your pockets.
[emoji56] [emoji56] [emoji56]

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Has anyone come across an e-bike that is good looking and well-specified? Admittedly, good looks are a subjective matter.
I no longer have a bike. I sold my 55-year-old Holdsworth in March.
If you've already got a bike, an electric conversion would make sense then. At least you'd be happy with its fit and handling. A conversion isn't difficult.
So you now have the best of opportunities, if you use a conversion kit on a bike as D8veh suggested. You can have any bike you like, and want, and electrocute it as required. :D

Here's mine. Choice is subjective, as you've already said. :)

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: IR772

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you buy it from ebike shop and ride round ur front room and dont like it all he gives back is 60% of what you have paid.

• Useful

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Trying to decide on buying an ebike using distance selling is not helped by statements like this,
https://www.aero-bike.co.uk/14-day-trial
I would not buy from them under these rules, read the last line get out clause
I dont think the distance selling regulations can be circumvented in this way. A bit like putting a sign up saying you are not responsible when you are...

• Agree