New Gtech Mountain Bike

Howard Thomas

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 3, 2016
Bucks
Curious.......

If you start the purchase process 'Build my bike' and add a 20" or 17" variant to a shopping basket you get the opportunity to switch frame types before checking out.

A third option mysteriously appears at that point with a mountain symbol. Selecting that option brings up a brand new mountain bike version (sadly same weedy battery) at £1695. This model is chain driven, derailleur gears, rock shock forks and a suspension seat post.

No mention of this variant anywhere else on the Gtech website.

Curious

IMG_0779.PNG

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing and mw1

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

Tomtomato

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
While the standard city model is I think well priced and well made, their mountain bike version doesn't seem to have anything special, and should indeed be below £1,000.

• Agree

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
By the time you've bought a spare battery it's nigh on 2 grand

I'd rather buy a Cube for that price.

Is a hub motor any good for serious off road cycling??

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I agree, a hub motor is far more suited to road and trail. IMO for mountain biking the use of the power through the gears is very important.

These guys have a great design department as far as aesthetics are concerned but really don't have a clue what it comes to bike use.

All the best, David

• Agree

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Another point is it looks as if Gtech are determined to stay in the ebike market.

I had thought they might be another 'here today, gone tomorrow' brand, given they had to discount their first bike heavily to get rid of it.

Lead times might come into it, they may have committed to the mountain bike a year or more ago.

A decision they may feel rather stuck with now in the light of their sales experience.

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Why do so many Gtech bikes appear on eBay.......... without batteries.

Are they all returns after 14 day trial? If so why no battery?

When I've asked sellers all I get as a reply is a curt ....you can buy a battery from Gtech.

AndyEBike

Finding my (electric) wheels
Seems to have a strange mix of components. Good quality suspension forks and that "suspension" seat post isn't cheap either but at that price you'd want a Bosch or Steps mid motor and a decent capacity battery. As someone has pointed out, you can get a Cube for that money. If it comes down in price the same way the original did it will start to look more attractive.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011