New here

John Wood

Just Joined
Mar 29, 2017
Greater Manchester
Hi
I've been directed here from another forum, my primary reason for joining being to seek advice for the right pedelec conversion kit for our Circe Helios tandem,we've been cyclists for many years but due to my wife's ill health are unable to ride far these days.
So to cut a long one short we need a robust,quality conversion with plenty torque for a tandem with an all up weight including bike and day luggage of 190kg,with a good quality long lasting battery that won't let us down for 30+mile rides.
I believe Heinzmann are top of the tree but are there others equally as good not quite as expense?
I think we'd be looking for a front wheel motor and a frame mounted battery probably 11+ ah

So over to you knowledgeable folks,any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Bbs01 crank drive is my auto recommendation. Battery the bigger the better.
You have gears so no issues about keeping the speed up.
Front hubs can be used but you need strong forks.
Rear hubs more common. We don't tend to talk much about heinzmannn here.

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Hello John :)

Can't help with your conundrum, but there'll be knowledgeable people (I'm excluded from that arena!) along presently I'm sure.

Gaz

John Wood

Just Joined
Mar 29, 2017
Greater Manchester
Bbs01 crank drive is my auto recommendation. Battery the bigger the better.
You have gears so no issues about keeping the speed up.
Front hubs can be used but you need strong forks.
Rear hubs more common. We don't tend to talk much about heinzmannn here.
I don't know if a crank drive would fit as the tandem has a cross over chainset so the stoker's(rear chainset) has chainrings on both sides and the captain's(front)has a chainring on the left side.
I agree about the battery and I'm not sure if there's enough capacity in a frame fit one,if not it'd need to be a rack fitting one.
Why is Heinzmann taboo?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Cylcezee are the only ones I'm aware of that sell Heinzman kits and as you say are not the cheapest but with quality you have to pay. Main reason they aren't spoken much about on here is the cost factor.
Bafang hubs are probably the most popular used though there are a few others.
Woosh may be able to cobble a kit together for you using a Bafang BPM or SWX02 hub, though you would have to speak to them.
Panadabikes is another kit seller.
Other wise a few of us buy kits or components direct from China, batteries though are usually sourced from the UK.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Here's a link for Cyclezee, they sell Heinzman, Ansmann and Ezee kits. I have an ezee front hub, it's done about 3500 miles and pulls like a tractor. They do it as a rear hub too. Can't speak for the others. Cyclezee is very helpful.
Bafang BPM is a front hub and also a powerful hill climbing motor, SWX02 is a rear huband, I think, as torquey as the others.
Given the overall weight I would say go for more than 11Ah if you can. I have a 15Ah, two and half year old battery, on a solo bike and on a windy day it can be down to about 30 miles (west Wales hills!).

http://cyclezee.com/conversion-kits.html