Toronto Kid

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 28, 2018
Southampton
Hi all.
I've had my Viking Harrier for a month now and it seems to be doing all it's supposed to do.
I bought it on e-bay and the seller had it for a year but only ridden it 4 times.
He stored it in his shed for a year and I'm not sure if the battery was charged in that time but I have a feeling the bike was neglected.
the bike looked like new when I first saw it so I was pleased with it from the start.
It seems to be fine although I haven't ridden it far.
The farthest I've gone is probably 5 miles and the battery looks as if takes a charge from the motor if I free wheel.
It's given me the opportunity of going on the train to places then having a cycle ride.
So far it has worked well but if anyone can give me battery charging tips I'd like to read them.
Thanks for reading.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Welcome to the forum TK.
The charger will tell you if it is 24 or 36v.
If you haven't got one get a digital volt meter ( DVM) from ebay about £5, then you should be able to (with our help) manage to diagnose any issues if they should arise, also handy to check the state of charge etc before and after use.
24v battery should read 29.05 - 29.4v when fully charged.
36v battery should read 41.5 - 42v when fully charged.

To gauge the rough battery range use it until it runs low, you will not damage the battery as it will have a battery management system (BMS) that will cut power when voltage is to low (LVC).
Generally though charge often and regularly, if in use daily charge every evening. If you are only going 5 miles charge every other day.
When not using the bike charge the battery to storage voltage which is approx. 38v and top up the night before use again. If not using for two or three months (winter for instance) charge to storage level and check every two or three weeks giving it a 10 min charge each time.
Batteries don't like to be left sat at high voltage levels when not used.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Hi TK,
If it's the bike I've just looked at (20" folder) then that is a geared hub motor so it can't charge the battery when you freewheel. There is a clutch in the motor that disengages it when freewheeling.
Are you saying that it appears to charge because the battery indicator comes back up when you are freewheeling?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
When riding the voltage reduces so any power display will show this and any led's or bar display will go down, when freewheeling voltage bounces back so power display will show a rise. This is only the voltage stabilising again as power is not drawing any voltage.

Toronto Kid

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 28, 2018
Southampton
Hi. Yes the voltage pops back a bit when freewheeling. Your comments are interesting and I tend to agree that when there is no voltage drawn then it could pop up a bit. As for a geared motor I haven't got a clue what it is. But I will find out.