New Powabyke

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Wow:D nice bike what a nice change from the old model and at a good price well done powabyke this might be my next machine and even better with a local dealer:D nigel.
It certainly looks more like it! but small battery concerns me......

wisper new milton

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 6, 2007
Trek?

:) Hi Guys I think this is the bike debut that was at Presteigne. A good bike which I believe is a standard Trek model in every detail with a modfication. If any one has any further info, can you mail me at doug.gosling@wisperbikes.com as I only get on here once every 2 months or so. regards Doug

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi Doug. The Trek based Cytronex debut was at Presteigne, so it may have been that you saw as there are many similarities, including the bottle battery:

Cytronex

I've mailed this too.

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Hi Doug. The Trek based Cytronex debut was at Presteigne, so it may have been that you saw as there are many similarities, including the bottle battery:

Cytronex

I've mailed this too.
But no throttle on either right?

fcurran

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2007
Bath
www.powabyke.com
Yes, all 3 have a throttle. Rather than the full thrttle, the new one is a thumb and index finger one similar to a grip shifter.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Mmmm.......OK thanks guy's!.

So its not a pedelec only like the kalkhoff - more like a wisper?

fcurran

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2007
Bath
www.powabyke.com
Mmmm.......OK thanks guy's!.

So its not a pedelec only like the kalkhoff - more like a wisper?
Its throttle controlled, identical in operation to the current shopper bike....only it looks far sexier and weighs nearly half the weight!!

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Its throttle controlled, identical in operation to the current shopper bike....only it looks far sexier and weighs nearly half the weight!!
I agree it looks a very nice bike.....

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
yes me to i am going for the 6 speed for me the price is in my range and they have a good dealer network. nigel.:D

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
yes me to i am going for the 6 speed for me the price is in my range and they have a good dealer network. nigel.:D
Please, where can I see the prices for the different models?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Please, where can I see the prices for the different models?
Here you are Eddie, from an earlier post by Frank Curran of Powabyke:

"The two 6 speeds are £750 and the 24 speed is £900 inc VAT"

Deliveries in September.

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
Sounds like very good value for money,this may force other sellers to lower their prices to compete,meaning better value for all of us.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Here you are Eddie, from an earlier post by Frank Curran of Powabyke:

"The two 6 speeds are £750 and the 24 speed is £900 inc VAT"

Deliveries in September.
Thanks! would there much difference between the 6 & 24 for purely leisure cycling not commuting?

Saddlesore

Pedelecer
May 18, 2008
eddieo
For general roadwork and commuting you'd only need a six speeder - the 24 speeder means it must be a triple clanger and would only be needed off road, if at all, in my opinion.
Even without an electric motor you'd probably be alright leisure riding with six speeds which are generally quite adequate.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't believe e-bikes need lots of gears and view 24 gears as a huge overkill. Both my modified bikes are 6 speed and easily cope with my very hilly area.

Frank Curran of Powabyke commutes on a 24 speed older model and tells us he only uses the top four gears in that steep hill Bath area, underlining my experience.

My choice would be the £750 6 speed and save the £150 difference towards a second bottle battery to cover longer trips.

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
The old type powabkes were under geared,ok for hills but in 6 th gear on the flat you were pedalling quite fast to keep up with the motor at 15mph.

fcurran

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2007
Bath
www.powabyke.com
I will find out the gear ratios tomorrow and confirm during the day as I do not know what they are at the moment. The current 6 speed euro gearing is too low for my liking (I find when cruising at full speed my legs are going ten to the dozen to keep up). I have not spent much time using the new 6 speed X Bike so am unsure as to the number of teeth on the front chain ring.

Watch this space!

Regards

FrankC
Powabyke Ltd