new rear wheel Giant LaFree: recommendations!

maddox

Just Joined
Apr 23, 2010
Folks,

The rim of my Giant LaFree Comfort has split, so I'm seeking recommendations and suggestions for replacements, and whom to get to build it.

I'm North London/South Herts-based.

Currently My thoughts are to ditch the existing hub in favour of an 8 speed premium/Redline Shimano (rationale: the existing hub was a 4 speed Nexus, once, but it's grumbly 3 speed now ... I'd rather not go the the expense of a new wheel around old hub only to have it step down to just 2 speeds next ...).

My sole concern is around the reliability of this unit (there are quite some adverse comments online eg
Shimano Hub Gear Innards
Shimano Alfine Disc Hub Review - BikeRadar
but also some happy users eg
Rolhoff vs I-Motion 9 vs Alfine? - Mountain Bike Forums

Has anyone had any poor experience of this hub?

Since the hub is new, the rest of the drive system (chain - sprocket - chainring - drive sprocket) is also best renewed; are there recommendations the group can offer for these as far as sources go?

Thanks in advance, and keep pedeleccing ...

Matthew

jac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2007
hi if you go on ebay germany you will see alfine hubs for 79eur its just a question of finding someone who will post to uk but that seems a lot better than uk price even alowing for loss on exchange rate

jim

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The first issue of the Shimano 8 speed hub did suffer some failures, but the premium and Alfine versions that followed seem to have been largely trouble free.

If you don't have a local bike shop that you are sure of for the wheel build, SJS have a good record for doing this. They can also supply the hub gear.

Chain: SRAM chains from SJS again I've always found ok at reasonable prices, two needed for the longer Lafree.

Rear hub sprocket: SJS again, full range normally in stock.

Chainwheel: This has to be from Giant via one of their dealers

Motor Sprocket: A to B magazine, £15, phone: 01305 - 259998

tangent

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2010
Shame you need it now - Shimano have an 11 gear version of the Alfine coming out in September, with a 400% range. It is also lighter than the 8 speed!

That would be an amazing upgrade - I may just be tempted with my own Lafree.

maddox

Just Joined
Apr 23, 2010
Shame you need it now - Shimano have an 11 gear version of the Alfine coming out in September, with a 400% range. It is also lighter than the 8 speed!

That would be an amazing upgrade - I may just be tempted with my own Lafree.
Yes, I saw the press release on that ... tempting indeed. Sadly the rim is currently held together with Duct Tape, and despite the excellent properties of duct tape & don't see it making it to September!

Matthew

tangent

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2010
From what I have read, the Alfine 8 seems a lot smoother than the Nexus 8, but some people do not like the shifters. Seems to be very little difference in price, so I would go for the Alfine.

However, I have read complaints about the Alfine RapidFire Shifter. Some people prefer the older Nexus 8 Twist Shifter and I believe this can be used with the Alfine hub. I use the twist shifter with the Nexus 8 and find it very quick to jump gears which is typically what I do on my Lafree with the assistance on. I normally start in 3rd, jump to somewhere around 5/6 after 2-3 seconds, then up to up to 8 after another 2-3 seconds. I then stay in 8 unless I hit something seriously long and steep or have a mega head wind.

tangent

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2010
I just bought a Lafree replacement chainwheel from topelectricbikes.co.uk. They had to order one in, but it arrived after about 7 days.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's fairly quick since they come from Giant in The Netherlands, no warehousing in Britain.

derrick7

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2007
Llanberis LL55 4TD (Snowdonia)
Thanks for the tip.

I just bought a Lafree replacement chainwheel from topelectricbikes.co.uk. They had to order one in, but it arrived after about 7 days.
I have just ordered one from the same people £39.99. I have 2 motor sprockets from A to B so if the motor & electronics hold out I should have a serviceable bike for several years.

Derrick - Llanberis