New rider

• Thread starter Deleted member 17694
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 17694

Hello, I'm a new pedelec owner/rider checking in. I had a look around this forum and was very impressed with all the friendly, knowledgeable and helpful posters.

I don't have the stamina to ride an unassisted bike any more (too old!) so the advent of assisted bikes has been a huge positive for me. I have acquired a Haibike XDuro RC 2016 at a very good price and which I'm using to commute to/from work. I travel along back roads and gravel paths; the bike is a good match for that. I used to commute by car every day, so I'm very much enjoying cycling again, not just for work but getting out and about generally.

Anyway, a first question... I can get the bike in the back of my car when the seats are folded down, but it's a bit of a struggle and a squeeze. So I'd like to get a rack. I was looking at the Saris Bones but it's intended for standard A-frame (with a cross bar) and anyway would a bit of a high lift for a heavy bike. My car is a 5 door saloon with no towbar.

Any suggestions? or if you have one perhaps you can tell me what you're using.

Reactions: LeighPing

chris130256

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 4, 2016
herefordshire
Hi and welcome. The bike rack issue is a difficult one as the bike is so large and heavy. I contacted Saris and the only rack they could suggest was tow bar mounted. That is the way to go but quite an expense. The other option is to remove the wheels which is very quick and easy and put it in the back of the car. Removing the battery will make the bike a bit lighter for lifting.

Angelnorth

Pedelecer
May 13, 2016
Hexham, Northumberland
Hello, welcome - glad you're enjoying getting out and about on your new bike.

I also asked Saris about their Bones racks and they say they wouldn't advise putting an Ebike on there. You can't just average out total weight across the rack and an individual Ebike is too heavy for the components even if there's nothing else on a two bike rack.

Kristin mentioned being able to put her Ebike on a rear rack in a post not long ago but didn't name the rack or respond when I asked about weight rating. Maybe she'll see this?

I've also formed the impression that a tow bar rack is the way to go. The ones rated for ebikes tend to be the "platform" style so the weight of the bike is supported through the wheels. It's not so far to lift the bike and some also come with a ramp you can fit on the side while you wheel the bike onto the rack so you can avoid lifting altogether if that's a problem.

If DH decides to get an Ebike as well I think we might be getting each other a tow bar fitting and a rack for Christmas!

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Towbar for me. Then any old eBay rack will do it, although I also have a Thule hangon which is good for 3 bikes, so fine with one e-bike.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 17694

A towbar mount does seem the right way to go. I don't have one right now but in for a penny... Apologies for my ignorance but do I need what I would call a standard towbar, the same thing like for a trailer or caravan?, or is the bar a specific design for the rack?

p.s. Towbars for my car are available as "flange" or "swan neck", detachable is recommended since the parking sensors can trigger on it if left in place. But will either do?

Last edited:

Angelnorth

Pedelecer
May 13, 2016
Hexham, Northumberland
Yes, the racks fit on the same kind of tow bar as you'd use if you had a caravan or trailer. You'll find plenty of videos on YouTube that show you how they work - try a search for Thule tow ball rack for example. Detachable tow bars tend to come at a premium price, I believe. I think either flange or swan neck should be fine - just check the specs on the rack if you're in any doubt.

D

Deleted member 17694

Thanks. That was the type of rack I was first looking at, only thing that bothers me is that it's a bit of a high lift (if it's only me loading and unloading).

I've had a look at towbar mounts, their pricier but a low lift and there are a few which allow the boot to be opened (Thule, Strada) which is a nice feature. So I think I'm headed in that direction. The Atera Strada Sport M2 is my current fave and has a roll on ramp.

• Informative

Angelnorth

Pedelecer
May 13, 2016
Hexham, Northumberland
Thanks. That was the type of rack I was first looking at, only thing that bothers me is that it's a bit of a high lift (if it's only me loading and unloading)
I think that rack would have the same issue as the Saris Bones - yes, the overall weight rating is 45kg but I don't think you can generally just average over the whole rack. My guess is the individual sections are intended for 15 or 16kg max and an ebike is going to be substantially more than that.

The same even applies to tow bar racks - there's usually an individual bike weight specified as well as the overall rating (so even if you look at "premium" brands like Thule, not all racks say they're suitable for ebikes).

My guess is it would be an issue if you ever had to make an insurance claim - we all know insurers tend to look for reasons not to pay and I fear that carrying a bike on a rack that's not rated for its weight would be firmly in the "no payout" category.

Angelnorth

Pedelecer
May 13, 2016
Hexham, Northumberland
I've had a look at towbar mounts, their pricier but a low lift and there are a few which allow the boot to be opened (Thule, Strada) which is a nice feature. So I think I'm headed in that direction. The Atera Strada Sport M2 is my current fave and has a roll on ramp.
The Atera Strada looks nice (and I agree a roll on ramp could be useful). Have you seen the Buzz Rack Scorpion? I think the fact it folds could make it a really attractive option - easier to handle and easy to pop in the boot when it's not in use, I suspect. It tilts to let you open the boot, too. There's a loading ramp listed as an optional extra at the bottom of the page.

• Informative

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
I think that rack would have the same issue as the Saris Bones - yes, the overall weight rating is 45kg but I don't think you can generally just average over the whole rack. My guess is the individual sections are intended for 15 or 16kg max and an ebike is going to be substantially more than that.

The same even applies to tow bar racks - there's usually an individual bike weight specified as well as the overall rating (so even if you look at "premium" brands like Thule, not all racks say they're suitable for ebikes).

My guess is it would be an issue if you ever had to make an insurance claim - we all know insurers tend to look for reasons not to pay and I fear that carrying a bike on a rack that's not rated for its weight would be firmly in the "no payout" category.
This bike rack is rated for 50 kilos. :)

Reactions: anotherkiwi

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Not sure I'd fancy carrying 50 kilos on my bike, even with assistance!

As I'm sure you spotted, that's a rear rack for a bike itself, not a rack for transporting bikes on a car - different dynamics going on there.
Of course. :) But the point is, if it's rated as being able to carry 50kg, then it must be able to carry the weight stated.

The car bike rack says it can carry a capacity of 45kg max. Which you think may be questionable.

So, I've asked them directly. Let's see what they have to say. :)

Here's what I've asked them;-

"Hello,

This Rear Mount Car Cycle Carrier, rated at a maximum weight capacity of 45kg, fits my car.

Is it able to safely carry my 40kg ebike, provided that it is the only bike on the rack, please?

Regards
Leigh"

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
In the English language it is a "bike carrier". As Leighping has pointed out a bike rack is something attached to a bike... :D

• Agree

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
No way would I put 45kg on a rear mounted rack! Regardless of what the manufacturers say rear mounted racks are very difficult to make stable enough for any bike let alone a heavy one. If you go to any cycle race you will see very few competitors even at the lowest levels using rear racks. Nearly all use towbar mounted or roof mount (that may be a game with an ebike) as it is far easier to load / unload and far more stable while driving. I actually carried my brand new Haibike across Europe in an Audi TT that required removal of wheels, forks, cranks and rear mech to make it fit :eek: not something I would want to be doing on a regular basis.

• Informative

Angelnorth

Pedelecer
May 13, 2016
Hexham, Northumberland
Of course. :) But the point is, if it's rated as being able to carry 50kg, then it must be able to carry the weight stated.
Yes, the rack has to be able to carry the weight stated but the distribution of weight and the individual points of strain come in to play with a carrier, I think. The rear rack on the bike is a single platform.

The car bike rack says it can carry a capacity of 45kg max. Which you think may be questionable.

So, I've asked them directly. Let's see what they have to say. :)
Be interested to see what answer they give. I asked Saris a similarly worded question about their Saris Bones 3 rack which is rated at 45kg and this was their response:

All of our trunk mounted racks have a max weight of 35 lbs per bike, and that is due to the cradles and straps that hold the bike onto the rack. I would not recommend any of our trunk racks for the e-bike, as it is simply too heavy.
35lbs is just shy of 16 kilos so they clearly anticipate the 45kg to be distributed across three bikes if you're using the carrier to full capacity. It's not that the overall capacity is questionable.

• Informative

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Yes, the rack has to be able to carry the weight stated but the distribution of weight and the individual points of strain come in to play with a carrier, I think. The rear rack on the bike is a single platform.

Be interested to see what answer they give. I asked Saris a similarly worded question about their Saris Bones 3 rack which is rated at 45kg and this was their response:

All of our trunk mounted racks have a max weight of 35 lbs per bike, and that is due to the cradles and straps that hold the bike onto the rack. I would not recommend any of our trunk racks for the e-bike, as it is simply too heavy.
35lbs is just shy of 16 kilos so they clearly anticipate the 45kg to be distributed across three bikes if you're using the carrier to full capacity. It's not that the overall capacity is questionable.
Here's their response..

Hi Leigh,

Thanks for contacting us. If the carrier fits your car & your bike weighs only 40kgs then it should safely carry your 40kg bike provided you install it correctly, secure the bike properly & don’t load the bike carrier with more than 45kgs.

The other thing to check is the shape of your bike and how it will sit onto the frame of the carrier – bear this in mind when deciding if it will be suitable.

Kind Regards

Andy Hoey

Premier Accounts & Customer Services

PARRS Equipment for your Workplace

• Informative
Reactions: Angelnorth

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Last edited: