New to e-bikes

Markxc40

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Hello all I'm returning to riding a bike after many years away to improve my general fitness.
However I will be opting for some assistance from an e-bike to do this and will be looking for some guidance from yourselves in purchasing one.

I used to play a lot of football then Badminton and latterly golf so I'm reasonably fit and healthy but I am in my 70's now.

Regards
Mark

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
What sort of riding? All on road, some easy off road, some rougher off road? How hilly around you? How long rides do you hope to make? I always suggest a step-through for older people: even if you don't need it now you may well really appreciate it in a couple of years.

Biggest choice will be do you want a pretty light sporty bike with just some assist (they tend to come quite expensive) or a more basic heavier bike with more assist (they come in all price ranges).

I'd suggest looking at Woosh, Juicy and Wisper (small UK firms with bikes using fairly standard Chinese motors); around £1000-£1500. More expensive are firms like Cube and Raleigh (or Haibike for more mountain use) that mostly use Bosch drives. (£1500-£infinity). Be aware that Bosch, Shimano etc drives use propriety interfaces between battery/controller/motor; repairs can be expensive, and spare/replacement batteries too.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi welcome
theres plenty of bikes to choose from