New to electric bikes

kloos

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 3, 2019
Not going to be able to test ride them both due to the location. As long as they do a reasonable job I will be happy.

D

Deleted member 25121

Not going to be able to test ride them both due to the location. As long as they do a reasonable job I will be happy.
I would very much advise on getting a test ride of the bike and size you're planning to buy. Before I bought mine last year I took a whole day to travel get a test ride and am so pleased I did because the recommended size would have been far too large, uncomfortable and unwieldy.

You can't rely on the frame size alone, or even the manufacturer's frame size, because the geometry of bikes and humans are big variables.

It seems like every few weeks on here we hear of people who are unhappy with their bikes because they are too big or too small and are wondering about changing them.

AnastieByte

Sep 19, 2019
I strongly agree with trying a size. My "acoustic" mountain bike is large in size. I viewed a Medium Giant E-bike not expecting it to be a good fit. I was surprised that the seat on its lowest setting was just right for me. Prior to viewing, I was looking on the internet at Large only. I'm 5'11.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Is there any reason the gearing within a crank drive unit could not be engineered so that it does work well for low cadence? (I'm not suggesting rework of existing units, but design of a different unit). I would think there are a lot of older people who don't want that much speed and would be much happier with a cadence of around 40.
it's possible to use a higher torque mid motor but difficult to justify the 250W label.
If your motor can give at 40 RPM what a normal motor does at 80 RPM, then your motor will give double that at 80RPM.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
If the unit had the same electric motor with different internal gears (double the gear ratio) then surely the motor would not be able to reach the speed needed to turn the cranks at 80 rpm? What is the typical gear ratio inside a mid drive unit between the motor and the cranks?

Baseuk00

Just Joined
Jun 11, 2019
My cousin lend me his Raleigh Strada Elite (2018) for 2 weeks for commuting and I'm satisfied with. It's actually light for an electric bike, it weighs 19 kgs and easy to pedal with strong brakes. I only got few concerns with it. Raleigh bike doesn't have a front suspension so it's a bit unfomfortable on rough roads. And the saddle is not comfy for me, had to put a gel cover to do the trick.

Just my two cents, though a little pricey, Cube bikes woould have been a better option. I bought my Cube nature hybrid one last month from Wheelbase. I think it's here: https://www.wheelbase.co.uk/products/electric-bikes/electric-hybrid-bikes/?orderby=price&filter_brand=cube#main The shifting gear is superb!

No thoughts for Cyclotricity Revolver hybrid.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
What is the typical gear ratio inside a mid drive unit between the motor and the cranks?
BBS01B: 1:21.9
TSDZ2: 1:41.8
Bafang Max: 1:33.4

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
BBS01B: 1:21.9
TSDZ2: 1:41.8
Bafang Max: 1:33.4
Thankyou. Interesting there is such a big ratio difference between BBS01B and TSDZ2; I guess this is down to different construction of the motor part itself? Back to the question, if the motor from the TSDZ2 had say 1:80 gears would it then be more suitable for someone who wanted a pedal cadence of 40?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Back to the question, if the motor from the TSDZ2 had say 1:80 gears would it then be more suitable for someone who wanted a pedal cadence of 40?
The TSDZ2 multiplies the user input, with half the cadence, he'd have to push twice as hard on the pedals. It's comparable to riding the normal TSDZ2 on 11T at the back instead of 22T.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Again, back to what could happen; however the multiplier factor is generated it could be doubled?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Again, back to what could happen; however the multiplier factor is generated it could be doubled?
it's easier to change the rotor and keep the same gearbox.
You have typically 8 coils on the rotor. If you wind 16 turns instead of 8 turns, you can get to the same result. The main issue is heat dissipation with this method.

kloos

Oct 3, 2019
Just my two cents, though a little pricey, Cube bikes woould have been a better option
Thanks BaseUK. Unfortunately I've just been told that with the cycle to work scheme you can only spend up to the voucher value and it is against the law to pay over that voucher value, which seems a bit counter productive if you ask me. So after weeks of research I am stuck with a maximum of £1k to spend. Cycle Republic recommended the Carrera Subway E, but I have had very bad experiences with Halfords and am very wary about spending money with anything linked to them. So I guess that I am left with the Cyclotricity bike. Apparently they only sell the 18" frame now as there was so little demand for the other sizes and they assure me that I will be find with that size based on my 5'11" height. Hobsons choice.

Laser Man

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2018
Michelmersh SO51
I'm sure that I saw something in the last couple of days to the effect that the 1K limit is to be removed from the cycle-to-work scheme for any type of bike, so e-bikes and high-end carbon racers will be OK.
Could make your choice a lot wider if it happens reasonably soon.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
So after weeks of research I am stuck with a maximum of £1k to spend.
have you asked them if you can top up the voucher with your own money?
most independent bike shops will let you do that.

kloos

Oct 3, 2019
The limit has increased to £2.5k. But, Cyclescheme currently have a legal battle with the Government over something to do with that (my HR department were a bit sketchy on the details) so the long and short of it is, that they are not currently offering over £1k.

If an independent bike shop does let you pay more then they are braking the law. The cycle to work guidance was updated by the Government (via the Department for Transport) on the 13th June, 2019.
The are 3 key elements to the new guidance:
1 Employees are able to request bikes >£1,000 using Cyclescheme’s FCA authorisation
2 The breadth of allowable items has been broadened to include all parts and components
3 Employees are no longer able to add funds (often called ‘topping up’) in any scenario

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Right; one way or another it seems as if crank motors could be optimized for 40-50 cadence. I can see that 80 is more appropriate for sporty applications; I'm just surprised that there don't seem to be any optimized for 40 cadence pootlers.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
cycle to work guidance
the June update has not changed the situation regarding top up. Cyclescheme.co.uk specifically ask participants to exclude top-ups in their own T&Cs, that has been the situation for many years. That's one reason we can't work with them.

From the implementation guide:

Q.1 Can an employee put their own funds towards costs?

No, employees are not allowed to use their own funds towards the cost of goods being hired under a consumer hire agreement. This, however, does not preclude the employee from separately buying additional equipment.

kloos

Oct 3, 2019
Agreed. I can buy additional equipment but according to 2 shops that I have spoken to I cannot put money towards the bike itself as that is not a separate purchase as that will be held under the hire purchase agreement.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Agreed. I can buy additional equipment but according to 2 shops that I have spoken to I cannot put money towards the bike itself as that is not a separate purchase as that will be held under the hire purchase agreement.
The invoice to the scheme is still for the amount on the voucher (£1,000).
Your top up is invoiced separately.
Some scheme providers (like cyclescheme in Bath) insist on no top up in their T&Cs, there is then not much you can do.
Ring another independent bike shop.