New to pedelecs Kalkhoff BS10 owner

Wigan.PT

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 20, 2013
Hi,

Just bought a Kalkhoff BS10 and very new to electric bikes and hoping to learn.

Regards

AlMel

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2013
Essonne, France
Welcome! Your bike excites much debate! It will be good to hear about it. Enjoy!

Wigan.PT

Apr 20, 2013
Welcome! Your bike excites much debate! It will be good to hear about it. Enjoy!

So I have read !

Hopefully I can avoid all that and just stick to getting and contributing information about owning and using my new bike.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Be great to hear some feedback on it :). Of course it wasn't available to test at Eden :rolleyes: but be really interested in some thoughts from an independent rider :cool:

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I guess it must be power hungry as I see you're looking for another battery.

Wigan.PT

Apr 20, 2013
I guess it must be power hungry as I see you're looking for another battery.
Thats to do with the distance I want to cover more than the bike....

The back story is that I have always tried to be pretty fit but have had some injuries that I have had to work around..

I used to play rugby untill I broke two bones in my back and spent six months in a wheelchair twenty years ago, I then got into weight training then more football cricket and golf, last few years both cruciates have gone (one operated on and one needs it) so I got into cycling for my cardio (boardman hybrid) but new I have quite bad early onset arthritis (I'm forty and it started at 21) and really bad tendinitis in both my Achilles so mornings are a nightmare.

I'm a PT and teach trainers in a gym thats a 38 mile round trip and know that with my problems I won't use my bike as often as I'd like to go to work but hope the Kalkhoff will mean I will use a bike more for the trip and hopefully get my fitness levels back to be happy to use my boardman to go to work then train people for up to ten hours then cycle back...

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012

The back story is that I have always tried to be pretty fit but have had some injuries that I have had to work around..

I used to play rugby untill I broke two bones in my back and spent six months in a wheelchair twenty years ago, I then got into weight training then more football cricket and golf, last few years both cruciates have gone (one operated on and one needs it) so I got into cycling for my cardio (boardman hybrid) but new I have quite bad early onset arthritis (I'm forty and it started at 21) and really bad tendinitis in both my Achilles so mornings are a nightmare.

I'm a PT and teach trainers in a gym thats a 38 mile round trip and know that with my problems I won't use my bike as often as I'd like to go to work but hope the Kalkhoff will mean I will use a bike more for the trip and hopefully get my fitness levels back to be happy to use my boardman to go to work then train people for up to ten hours then cycle back...
I'd have thought you'd be able to get 20 miles off a 400Wh battery no problem especially if it's average terrain - then just charge it in a gym office for the return trip ?

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth

As its a regular round trip surely the simple/cheapest solution is just to get another charger to leave at work and then recharge during day for return trip ?. Save having to lug another battery around / paying for another larger capacity one.

Martin1

Aug 29, 2012
TW13
From my experience with my BS10 you will need to charge at work, 38 miles is only going to be attainable with very low assist levels. Personally I leave mine on "Sport" level 3 and then ride it like I stole it! It sort of what the bike was designed for, Enjoy!

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
As its a regular round trip surely the simple/cheapest solution is just to get another charger to leave at work and then recharge during day for return trip ?. Save having to lug another battery around / paying for another larger capacity one.
I'd have thought you'd be able to get 20 miles off a 400Wh battery no problem especially if it's average terrain - then just charge it in a gym office for the return trip ?
I'd agree with those comments. However if you do want another battery Dave at Electric bike folding bike says he can do them at £500 including delivery, and if I get him a sale he'll let me have one for £450 :D

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Yes we can we are signing up to sell the batteries direct rather than through a middle man as I want to keep costs down. RRP is normally 679 (Euros). If you want another charger we can also supply these ;)

As an example one of our customers in a hilly area got circa 25 miles in top assistance level (400wh battery) however this was not the speed version with the 350watt motor.

Wigan.PT

Apr 20, 2013
As a result of this thread I got in touch with Electrifying Cycles and today received a nice shiny 400w battery in the post :)

It says its got about double the distance of the one on it fully charged so I guess the old one has lost a bit of power over the 300 charges its last owner said it had received.

Thanks to Electrifying Cycles for a quick reply and great service at a good price :)

After I get to use it next week I will report on how I get on with my new bike ,,