New VAT rules for overseas sellers supplying goods to UK customers - Any experiences yet?

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
distant marketplaces (e.g. Aliexpress) will actually do this, and so for now marketplace sellers will probably have a heavy incentive to fake the VAT numbers.
I believe it's the actual marketplace, amazon. ebay, aliexpress that are required to apply the VAT at the point of sale thus collecting it on the sellers behalf, then I would assume the seller has to print the marketplaces VAT number and post it, I would hope its that simple.

Reactions: jonathan75

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Quick update of my experience - The fasttech package shipped from China did not get stopped, nor did I pay any VAT at POS and it did not have any signs of a new customs declaration form. It was posted via PostNL. I can only assume there is a grace period or the postal system either can not be bothered to check or do not have the man power or maybe I was lucky.

Edit However it come with a yellow sticker saying the usual "Goods Do Not Meet The Requirement Of Article 9 and 10 Of The Contract For The Foundation Of The European Community" I believe the customs form was not signed correctly but who knows.

• Informative

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
"Goods Do Not Meet The Requirement Of Article 9 and 10 Of The Contract For The Foundation Of The European Community"
I've read this indicates that it's an item on which tariffs/VAT which would be applicable were it to enter the EU as its final destination, is unpaid. Quite surprised you didn't get hit for it at the UK end! As you say maybe grace period.

• Agree
Reactions: PC2017

Scruffydroid

Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2020
I ordered a RockShox Recon Silver from Bikester. Paid in full, in advance.

Item was shipped, (collected by UPS), held in their logistics chain for nearly two weeks, and then returned to sender.

Bikester were really poor and didn't bother to answer my question regarding this order.

• Informative

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Quite surprised you didn't get hit for
Yep me too, you watch the items I bought from Amazon and paid an estimated VAT on will get stopped lol

Never used em thought they were UK based, they put .co.uk on it and I fell for that one, at least bike-discount put .de on theirs... I think some EU/UK delivery companies will do the same as DPD and "pause" their operations until sellers start understanding the new rules and file the correct paperwork, I bet the driver refused to take it, I suspect he would have had to stop for a boarder check and file the paper work manually.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I tried using Bikester once and smelled at rat when I had issues with payment, have never tried again.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Placed 3 orders from china only the one direct from green bike kit has arrived in 10 days ,but this had been reposted as only has uk post on box .The other two via ebay have both been cancelled after 10 days and had to get a refund [both had vat deducted from the selling price] now both items have been relisted at a far higher price and stupid postage costs

• Informative

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
via ebay have both been cancelled
I fear sellers don't seem to understand that items sold on ebay should be ok as long as the new customs details are filed correctly... Although I don't blame them, brexit and the VAT rules happening at the same time... I will order a new 1to4 cable and PAS sometime next month from Aliexpress if I can without incurring above normal costs.

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
I fear sellers don't seem to understand that items sold on ebay should be ok as long as the new customs details are filed correctly...
My concern is that they *do* understand the new regulations and have made a business descision to stop selling to the UK rather than become involved with the new system. Their view might change once the new regulations have settled down and everyone (including the relevant governments) has worked out a smooth way to comply with the new requirements.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The eBay problem is the Chinese based sellers are getting caught out because the goods might be in the uk but the PayPal address is not, so eBay then deduct the 20% in extra fees so the seller just has to swallow it or in both my purchases say cancelled as no stock. But then relisted for a higher price about 35% and a high postage cost on top

• Informative

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
because the goods might be in the uk but the PayPal address is not
All goods must apply 20% VAT now regardless of where they are shipped from, UK, EU, China etc marketplaces will take the VAT for the seller but "topbikekit.com" and "pswpower.com" and ANY non-marketplace from the EU or any other country (ie all company owned websites) will have to register for a UK VAT number and charge it before they can ship. This is what causing oversea companies to think twice about shipping to the UK for now.

Has anyone tried to source goods from Germany? Sellers are either refusing go to ship to the UK or, postage rates are prohibitive!
Scruffdroid above did and delivery failed.

• Informative

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Has anyone tried to source goods from Germany? Sellers are either refusing go to ship to the UK or, postage rates are prohibitive!
Same with Poland - a motorcycle crash bar manufacturers (Heed) has removed UK from its posting options list on its webstore (and same on its ebay store) .
Plus a niche US games software on its digital downloads webstore has added an extra 20% on for UK customers compared to other countries.

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
this had been reposted as only has uk post on box .
Could you say a bit more about this please, I think I may have had a similar experience over the past years but am not sure (it feels like something has somehow been sent FROM a Heathrow UK postal address rather than China, as though it had been shipped in a bigger box with more things, each addressed to their end-address, and only the bigger box maybe had the "sent from China blah blah" label on it, which of course I never see. (?)

When that happens I always get the sense that the seller is doing the naughty with customs and taxes etc!!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Yes i suspect my package was part of a larger parcel which arrived in the uk and then was split into individual orders and then reposted or re- forwarded, this is get one delivery flight in bulk less hassle then many small parcels

• Agree

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i got my speaker refoam kit today from Germany but came in a padded envelope.

DSC_0058.JPG

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015