New Wisper Tailwind coming soon.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
What I particularly like about mid-drive is that it is never overwhelmed by the 'hard' bits of a ride: I can always go down a gear or up an assistance level, and the most important aspect of ebiking for me - cycling with the hard bits taken away - is always true.

I don't agree with the higher efficiency point. Yes, the peak efficiency is higher for a hub, but if you look at the average achieved efficiency over a real world journey then I suspect there is little difference. The hub is only working efficiently in the upper half of the speed range. Below that it drops off a lot, whereas a mid-drive with the gears properly used is always in its efficient range.
All good points Matthew and I agree with you on everything you say.

I have always wondered about the benefits and advantages of mid dives over hub. This is one of the reasons we designed and manufacture the only eBike in the word (that we are aware of) that gives people the choice of both on practically the same frame. 50Nm Hub Drive and 100Nm Mid Drive.

Whenever we can we get customers try both before making the buying decision. In the majority of cases people come in to buy the mid drive, try both, then leave with a hub. We sell thousands of Wayfarers and interestingly the ratio between hub and mid drive sales is about 25% mid 75% hub.

Based on our experience and sales figures we believe that although the mid drive is superior in some riding conditions especially off road with steep inclines, overall the hub drive is actually better for the majority of riders demands and needs.

All the best, David

• Agree
Reactions: robert44 and sjpt

Fozziebear40

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 20, 2021
Hi David, any news on the Wayfarers please? I ordered earlier in the year and was told October and then November delivery. I know it's been difficult for you, have you a new date in 2022?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi David, any news on the Wayfarers please? I ordered earlier in the year and was told October and then November delivery. I know it's been difficult for you, have you a new date in 2022?
Hi Fozziebear,

Good news... the next delivery will be mid January, they are built and waiting in Portugal for final QC. They will be dispatched W/C 4th Jan.

We had some painting issues but after upgrading to 2K the problem was solved.

Sorry about the wait!

All the best, David

Last edited:

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Hi

Yes it did and there was a lot of interest, not sure we are going to run with it though, still deciding.

All the best, David
Yes, I can understand it's not a straightforward decision, it's no doubt a niche market, and could there be more potential warranty claims if a carbon framed hub motor is more fragile than the equivalent alloy framed bike?
Would be a cool addition to the lineup, some kudos for covering all choices. I guess it'll come down to price and how it compares to other lightweights from Ribble, Specialized, Boardman etc.
Good luck

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
When battery energy density increases, ebikes could be made pretty much indistinguishable from human powered - the Tailwind is almost there, at casual glance it could easily be misidentified as a normal bike.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

cjd

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2013
Hi all, as you know I try and keep everyone on Pedelecs a little ahead of the curve on our developments.

The new Tailwind and Tailwind C will be here by the summer.

They both have a choice of 360 or 540Wh in frame batteries and run on the fantastic new AKM power unit.

The Tailwind has an aluminium frame, 27.5” 2.2” tyres and can be supplied in four configurations. Commute, Commute Comfort, eMTB and Adventure.

View attachment 44997Tailwind Adventure with sus forks

The Tailwind C has a carbon frame and forks, weighs in at a tad over 14kg and sports C700 with 1.95” tyres.

View attachment 44995
Tailwind C

I rode them both last week in Portugal. They are both astonishingly good although I am a bit biased!!

Better images coming soon!!

All the best, David
This may be a stupid question (sorry) but can you please perhaps explain the differences between this and the Wayfarer?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
This may be a stupid question (sorry) but can you please perhaps explain the differences between this and the Wayfarer?
Hi Cjd,

Great question!

Firstly about 9kg! The Wayfarer can take a 700Wh battery and is a very comfortable limo of a bike. The Tailwind is more nimble. The Wayfarer has the choice of mid or hub drive, the Tailwind only hub… currently.

Then there’s the style…

All the best, David

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
@Wisper - just a FYI, I couldn't help noticing this typo:

"All Wisper bikes have a “twist grip of thumb controlled” assistance"

...on this page: