new x-6 powerbyke

rayhayes

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 3, 2010
Hi to all of you. I am new to the forum and wanted to say you sound a friendly bunch of people and with lots of usefull info. I have just bought an x-6 and am impressed at present with the overall quality. It is light alloy finish and the first electric bike for me. I have to say I was surprised how well it goes...and I'm no lightweight!! Brought a smile to my face as soon as I rode it.!:) .. However, early days yet and lets be honest at around £850 odd pounds I think it should be good. Not sure yet the best way to ride it, but probably on pedal assist, though I only work 2miles away!..but do the trip twice a day. I'll keep you posted and look forward to reading all your info. cheers Ray:)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
welcome Ray! Enjoy the bike, and the excitement it brings back into cycling:p

Patrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2009
Hello Ray, congrats on the new bike. I've been commuting on an X6 for about 18 months now, they do make nice little commuter bikes.

Patrick

rayhayes

Oct 3, 2010
Hello Ray, congrats on the new bike. I've been commuting on an X6 for about 18 months now, they do make nice little commuter bikes.

Patrick
Thanks for the comments Patrick. Are there any things re the bike I should be aware of or need to watch.? Having had your x-6 for 18 months you would certainly know. Are you on the orig battery?
cheers Ray

rayhayes

Oct 3, 2010
welcome Ray! Enjoy the bike, and the excitement it brings back into cycling:p
Thank you Patrick. Used it for work today and am amazed how they make the journey so quick......without the sweat.! Hills have dissapered,....almost like being in holland without unfortunatly the great cycle paths they have, or Germany for that matter.
cheers Ray

Patrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2009
Thanks for the comments Patrick. Are there any things re the bike I should be aware of or need to watch.? Having had your x-6 for 18 months you would certainly know. Are you on the orig battery?
cheers Ray
The only things I can think of off hand to watch are the battery clips and the pedelec disc. My battery has jumped out of the clips a couple of times, a very disconcerting thing to happen at high speed, and I now use a velcro cable tie to keep it in place (I don't know if Powabyke have changed the design to deal with tis problem). The other thing is the plastic disc with embedded magnets on one of the pedals, this can get pushed away from the sensor attached to the bottom bracket and when that happens the bike won't, it's simple to push back into place when this happens.

I've just bought a new battery, though I'm still using the old one as well. My commute is 10 miles each way over a 400 ft hill, which is on the edge of the powabyke's practical range. This means that my first battery took a hefty battering being completely discharged and recharged twice a day, after 16 months it wasn't getting me to the top of the hill on my way to work, so now I use my new battery in the morning and the old one to get home (the climb up the hill isn't as steep for my return journey).

Even after all the abuse it has received my old battery would still cope easily with a two mile journey, so I'd expect your battery to last a lot longer than that. As a very rough estimate I'd say budget for a new battery in two years but hope to get at least three years out of it (especially if you can top it up at work wich will extend its life).

rayhayes

Oct 3, 2010
Patrick,
Many thanks for that information. Very usefull to know and I will watch out for the sensor being out of place. As regards the battery I will charge at work and thus hopefully ensure a long life. Again Thank you for that very useful info.
cheers Ray

fcurran

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2007
Bath
www.powabyke.com
Hi All, by the sounds of things Ray has the NEW MK2 X6 Powabyke. It has only been on the market for a couple of weeks now. Main differences to yours Patrick are:

250w BRUSHLESS Motor - High torque to eat up the hills without compromising speed
New Chrome finish as opposed to the silver/black finish
New easy plug and play electrics
More efficient anti rotation bracket
Lightest Powabyke on the market at 21kg
Locking bracket for the battery.

I will try and attach a picture.

Kind Regards

FrankC
Powabyke Ltd

Attachments

rayhayes

Oct 3, 2010
Thats the one Frank.! Really pleased with it and some of the problems with the older x-6 seem to have been ironed out. Sensor at the crank seems very secure and Battery locks nicely and is easy to take off and on. Altogether a nice quality product. cheers Ray

ngoodson

Oct 28, 2010
Hi Ray,

Would you say that you could use your Powabyke as a mountain bike or not? I a thinking about buying one, but part of my commute is along the South Downs for about a mile and I'm not sure whether it could handle the off-road? Thanks.

Nick