Newbie from Bristol

Dangermouse195

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 20, 2018
Bristol
Hi all!

Newbie to the forum from Little Stoke, Bristol - don't have an ebike at present but am looking to see what you all recommend! I've got a 28 mile round trip / commute and am getting sick of the traffic so time to get cycling again after a year off

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
Hello!

I'm also from Bristol, and use an eBike to commute (16 mile round trip). It's a fast and convenient way to get around Bristol, even if there are days I wish I didn't have to cycle all the time!

My current bike has a Bosch Active Line motor. I would strongly recommend it as one of the more reliable options, if you do end up buying one.

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Hi. I'm not too far from you in Westbury.

How technically minded are you? Are you set on buying pre-built?

If you are competent, the most reliable bike is one built by and repairable by you.

• Agree

Dangermouse195

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 20, 2018
Bristol
Hello!

I'm also from Bristol, and use an eBike to commute (16 mile round trip). It's a fast and convenient way to get around Bristol, even if there are days I wish I didn't have to cycle all the time!

My current bike has a Bosch Active Line motor. I would strongly recommend it as one of the more reliable options, if you do end up buying one.
Hi. Good to see someone using one for a decent distance - a lot seem to be spending £££ for a 2 or 3 mile commute which seems bizarre to me!
My commute is 14 miles each way

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Hi. Good to see someone using one for a decent distance - a lot seem to be spending £££ for a 2 or 3 mile commute which seems bizarre to me!
My commute is 14 miles each way

It's not so bizarre really. They're actually fun at any distance and 2 or 3 miles can be a sweaty inconvenience. Have you been on one yet? :)

Short distance commuters can always use them for other things too. I don't commute myself. I just use mine to walk the dog. Usually just a mile or so daily. 8 miles or so at the weekend.

My wife uses one to go and see the grandkids who live in opposite directions from us, but are only a mile away. She used to hate bikes. :)

Your commute, on most ebikes, will take roughly an hour each way. How fast were you doing it on a regular bike?

Welcome aboard. :)

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
How difficult is it?
Like everything else in life, "it's easy if you know how". However, even for those in the know, unexpected issues still crop up from time-to-time, which might then need to be researched to find a solution to.

I would say that if you enjoy DIY, are handy with a set of spanners, know how to use a multimeter and aren't scared by the thought of having no official support (there's always forums such as this where you can ask for help), you should be okay with a self-build.

• Agree