Newbie from Surrey saying hi, KTM Macina Force

greggster

Pedelecer
Oct 18, 2015
Hi everyone [emoji106]

I bit the bullet today and bought a new Force 27, arriving next week.

I've been a road cyclist for years, but for some reason this year I've lost the love. I've also been an off-road motorcyclist for years, but age and injuries stopped that about 2 years ago (still use a motorbike on road). So, I love off road stuff, but I've never got into mountain biking as I'm a bit lazy when it comes to hills AND mud (hills on road are fine). I'm a big bloke, 100kgs. I've got brand loyalty to KTM so thought a Macina Force could bring all of the above together!

Anyway, just saying hi and thanks for the great forum.

I know my first question will be what's the best dongle to get and from where. And also if any other MTB owners in Surrey fancy a gathering at some stage.

Cheers, Gregg [emoji1]

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
they will do the old 1 just email them first ;)

then its 75kph

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you will need a 22t front sprocket to even try get to 50 mph tho

the batt will not last long at that speed also

greggster01

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 23, 2015
Ha, I'm not aiming for those speeds, just want to not max out at 15mph. [emoji106]

greggster

Pedelecer
Oct 18, 2015
It arrived today! A quick set up and then I gave it a 10 mile blast locally, just on the flat to see how it all works, and I'm a very happy shopper [emoji38]

The implementation of the assistance is top class, totally seamless, I'd never even tried one before buying, so I had no idea what to expect. The feeling of going across deep grass or mud and not slowing down at all is great, and I mean really great. Lots of grinning. On road of course it's less of a boon, my normal riding speed is about 17mph, so I was going without assistance on road, and I learnt to go slower to get the assistance when needed. Very impressed by the quality, seems usual KTM top notch. Can't wait to get out on it again tomorrow!

Reactions: EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I wondered if that was your bike on the KTM mountain bike FB page. :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/KTMmountainbikefanpage/470914833093249/?notif_t=group_activity

My self and three other KTM owners from the group are going to be doing this if you fancy it. You will have to remove the dongle if you have one fitted. http://www.evanscycles.com/pages/rideit-biggin-hill-mtb-ride-7th-november-2015

The background shot in the 2nd photo, looks very familiar.

When I get hold of the plastic, you will have to pop over here, and we can make the mud guard. :)

Ref the dongle. Legalities of use aside, I don't know if you are aware of this, but you will also invalidate your warranty. You might want think long and hard about that one.

Last edited:

greggster

Pedelecer
Oct 18, 2015
Hi Eddie, yes it made FB very quickly! I didn't buy a dongle in the end and won't be doing so, there's no need really, if I want speed I'll get on my road bike [emoji3].

That ride looks good, thanks for the invite, are we allowed pedelecs or are you taking your other manual KTM? What distance are you doing?

And thanks again for the offer of the mudguard, top bloke. Where are you based? I'm near Surbiton (that was Bushy Park in the photos).

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my m8 has a carbon race bike and i can nuke him with a dongle, he got no chance lol

it will void the ktm warranty tho like ed says but cant say 100% if they can see you have used 1 or not as martin will not answer the question lol

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Hi Eddie, yes it made FB very quickly! I didn't buy a dongle in the end and won't be doing so, there's no need really, if I want speed I'll get on my road bike [emoji3].

That ride looks good, thanks for the invite, are we allowed pedelecs or are you taking your other manual KTM? What distance are you doing?

And thanks again for the offer of the mudguard, top bloke. Where are you based? I'm near Surbiton (that was Bushy Park in the photos).
That's good to hear. :)

I can't say that the Biggin Hill ride is really that great as far as organised rides go. I did it last year, and felt that there was too much road work, but it was still a really good laugh, with plenty of banter and **** taking. It was on this ride last year, that I met the other three lads on their KTM's.
I'm taking the Macina Lycan, so that we can get a good mix for any photos.
The lad that I ride with a couple of times a week is also coming along on his pedal mtb.
We are booking up for the 30 mile ride, but it's no biggy on e-bike, as riding with the pedal bikes, you will probably be in either eco mode, or no assist.

I'm down in Crowborough, so not really so far away. I also keep meaning to get up and try some routes on the edge of the M25/Godstone A217 etc.

Not my clip, but this is the Biggin Hill ride.

Last edited:

greggster

Pedelecer
Oct 18, 2015
Great thanks, I could well be up for the ride, I'll confirm next week if that's ok. If you're ever up this way give me a shout [emoji106]

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
Bushy Park eh? Small world - you'll find me scooting through a couple of times a day at the end of my commute to Teddington. Might see you there!