Newbie hoping for some battery advice

AlwaysUpHill

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 9, 2021
Hi, the Welsh border hills have just got me to my first ebike purchase (Biocycle Boxer) to keep up with my wife! Hoping for some help and advice on upgrading the 10 AH battery.

D

Deleted member 33385

Is that a Silverfish battery? Make sure that whatever battery you get, has the same number of prongs on the connector, and is the same physical size - else it might not fit:

AlwaysUpHill

Mar 9, 2021
Is that a Silverfish battery? Make sure that whatever battery you get, has the same number of prongs on the connector, and is the same physical size - else it might not fit:

That's the one, but the trail has moved on a little (probably backwards!) so this is where I am.

My original plan was to swap the mountings plates around but I found the plug of the replacement ebay battery plate to be physically larger than the original one and the metal plate of the actual bike frame plate below. It had a rectangle cut out too small to house the bottom of the new plug. I wasn't about to start grinding our a larger rectangle on a new bike (plus the fact with all the cables below this was going to be difficult and risky. So we will keep that battery as a spare as it fits my wife's ebike.

So starting again, I seem to have got to two more dead ends 1] a company offering to re-cell my brand new battery which came with the bike (I'm not keen on that idea) or 2] I have found a 22.8 amp Green Cell battery which has the polarity right and looks as though it could well fit, but I'm told it is not rated for the 250 watt motor.

So question - apart from the physical size, what is the largest battery spec I can use with a 250 W motor and 36 volts? Also is it the controller which is dictating this i.e. not damaging it.

Thanks

D

Deleted member 33385

Personally (and I will shortly be doing this for a spare battery), I'd buy a suitable empty case from somewhere and get a compatible, higher capacity battery built using high quality cells, by someone like Jimmy (who seems to have an enviable reputation on these forums):

It's cheaper screwing up on case sizing and connectors, than it is buying the wrong whole battery, especially from overseas.

The battery needs to be capable of supplying the controller's max amps, whatever that is for your bike.

Last edited:

AlwaysUpHill

Mar 9, 2021
Thanks for the reply, I like the case idea and as you say one step at a time may be safest. I may just ask for some advice on battery specification (electrics), but won't confuse it with the above.

D Bell

Feb 8, 2016
Hi, the Welsh border hills have just got me to my first ebike purchase (Biocycle Boxer) to keep up with my wife! Hoping for some help and advice on upgrading the 10 AH battery.
Hi, I'm considering buying a Byocycle Boxer - would you recommend? Is it up to being take on MTB trails?

atheo

Pedelecer
Jul 10, 2011
Beds..
Hi, I'm considering buying a Byocycle Boxer - would you recommend? Is it up to being take on MTB trails?
Are you buying it because of its price or folding ability?I would not take a folding bike on MTB trails,due to the folding frame weakened joint stress.Buy a full framed bike for trails,for the strength and durability.

D Bell

Feb 8, 2016
Are you buying it because of its price or folding ability?I would not take a folding bike on MTB trails,due to the folding frame weakened joint stress.Buy a full framed bike for trails,for the strength and durability.
I've been taking my Batribike breeze on some fairly rugged trails (carefully!) - looking for something a bit more suitable - here's my previous post - https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/looking-for-light-weight-step-through-folding-mtb.41142/