Newbie on the block

pedelecurious

Just Joined
Nov 22, 2012
Here goes – my first post about pedelecs. I have been curious about the assisted pedal electric bikes for a while. I live in the Netherlands and last year started to notice that often I was being zipped past by ladies of advanced years sitting on upright Dutch style bikes pedaling at leisure. I ride a pretty sporty koga myata and I put a bit of effort into it so I wondered what was going on. Catching up to them at traffic lights etc I got to take a better look at their bikes and noticed the battery packs on the back -there my curiosity began.
I researched pedelecs and for a while was pretty keen on no hills cytronex but as they don’t have dealers here and there were a couple of blogs about taking it back to the manufacturers for tweaking I decided it was too big a risk and so turned my attention to bikes available locally and could be serviced/ returned to manufacturer here.
My requirements were to use the bike on my daily commute in the Netherlands - 10km – almost completely flat ground – excellent cycle paths – and I wanted to be able to use the bike on steep mountain roads when we go on holiday. I am a fair weather, feeling good cyclist – so the bike had to perform well enough that I would be motivated to use it on dark days, rainy days, cold days and lazy days.
About 6 years ago I bought my first Koga second hand and it pretty much transformed the way I felt about cycling – so with that brand loyalty I looked at Koga e-bikes. I found my local bike store was doing a sale on end of 2012 ranges and test rode the koga e-light which also got 4.5 starts on bike radar. It was eye wateringly expensive even in the sale but so much fun that I had to go for it, after a cooling off period of a couple of days I called back and bought the bike.
This is day three - and loving it it.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Welcome to the forum pedelecurious. The Koga e-bikes are undoubtedly expensive, but they are beautifully made and give real pride of ownership. You should get years of pleasure from your new bike. Keep it secure though, it's a tempting prize.