Newbie seeking advice

Reeder

Just Joined
Mar 20, 2017
Surrey
Hi Everyone,

I have recently sold my car which I used to drive to work each day and have been on the bus ever since whilst I deliberate over my options. I think I have now settled on getting an E-bike to tackle the 7 mile each way journey. I was debating between this and a standard hybrid but decided that due to some pretty step climbs on the journey home the bike will be the sensible option!!

Anyway I am completely new to cycling on the road, so would love some advice on the best options to look at. I am going to use 'the bike to work' scheme and also have the option to top this up so my budget is between 1400-2200. I would like something that looks nice but has the power and reliability to make it up the hills! Would prefer a step over frame, perhaps a hybrid or sports bike and preferably that does not look like an ebike.

I have looked at Haibike, Oxygen and Scott bikes but as I am such a novice do not really know how to judge which would be best for me. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated?

Many thanks

D

Deleted member 4366

If you don't know anything about bikes, you need to buy it from a local dealer because whichever one you get, it'll need some servicing, adjustment, etc.

• Agree
Reactions: JuicyBike

Reeder

Just Joined
Mar 20, 2017
Surrey
Thank you for the responses so far, I understand the point regarding purchasing from a local dealer due to my inexperiance.

Really just trying to work out of there is a valid reason to justify the cost difference between oxygen bike (2016 hybrid)costing 1400 versus a Scott esilence which is priced around 1000 more?

I have also struggled to find any decent e-bike review sites, any recommendations may help me to research myself?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Thank you for the responses so far, I understand the point regarding purchasing from a local dealer due to my inexperiance.

Really just trying to work out of there is a valid reason to justify the cost difference between oxygen bike (2016 hybrid)costing 1400 versus a Scott esilence which is priced around 1000 more?

I have also struggled to find any decent e-bike review sites, any recommendations may help me to research myself?
Which one do you like the most? Buy that one.

Reactions: Gaz and Sarabee

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Test ride and test ride some more. That's the most important thing to do.

• Agree
Reactions: Gaz

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
There's an ongoing thread about Oxygen bikes here, although it is the eMate MTB.