Newbie to biking thinking of getting a second hand Giant Twist 2.0......

Tara

Pedelecer
Aug 13, 2011
Torbay, South Devon
Hello

This is my first post here - I'm looking for some enlightenment about the above model of bike with regard to it suiting a newbie bike rider :) I have ridden a bike years ago, but not on the road, but my daughter who is very able on her bike, will be with me a lot of the time.

Also, as electric bikes go, I get the feeling from reviews that it's not a bad model. What should I look for when I go and see the bike? Cars have 'prone to' problems; does the Twist 2.0 have any that I can look out for?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer :eek:
Tara

Last edited:

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Hi Tara, Wlecome to the forum. Here is something to be going on with ...

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/1921-giant-twist-2-0-review.html

Sorry Tara .. just realised that this is from 2008! ... Hopefully we have some more recent postings and opinions ...

Things to check .... How old is it? Has it been used regularly? What is the state of the battery? ....Batteries are expension so if you need to get a new one then you could be looking at a further cost of £200 or so ... ... Have you tried any electric bikes? .. If not, do so! ... We have a number of dealers on this forum who will offer try rides. Where are you located?

Last edited:

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Hi Tara,

Welcome to the forum....if you type in Giant Twist in the search box at the top of the page you will found loads of posts about this model and no doubt there will be others along soon to tell you more.
One main thing to establish, apart from condition, is age and the fact that the battery may well need replacing so its always wise to factor this in when negotiating the price. I believe they are quite expensive batteries and I think some variations of this model have two.
There are lots of experts on this forum who will know a lot more about this particular bike.

Good luck

Lynda

Tara

Pedelecer
Aug 13, 2011
Torbay, South Devon
Hi Tara, Wlecome to the forum. Here is something to be going on with ...

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/1921-giant-twist-2-0-review.html

Sorry Tara .. just realised that this is from 2008! ... Hopefully we have some more recent postings and opinions ...

Aw thanks!
The reviews really do help, and I forgot to add that the bike is 3 years old, though the person selling it states it was used just couple of times and is in excellent condition (comes with two sets of keys and two batteries that were never fully ran down of their charge - though I suppose the cells may be poorly after 3 years??)

I'm not even sure what I should pay for the bike.....Any ideas please? :confused: :eek:

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I think the Twist 2 has received pretty mediocre reviews.

The main thing to consider with an electric bike, particulary a second hand one, is the battery. Find out how much a new battery costs for the bike you are interested in and if the bike is anywhere near 2 years old, or older, assume that you will have to buy a new one.

People generally over inflate the price of their second hand bike and nearly all are claimed to have seen virtually no service.

As an example, my Kalkhoff Pro Connect cost £1500 when new three years ago. Although the battery is still ok, I wouldn't expect anyone to believe that, so straight away, £500 would need to come off that initial value to buy a new battery. That leaves £1000 worth of bike which has depreciated over 3 years. Realistically, if I were to sell it, £300 to £400 ish would probably be about all that it is really worth. (It's not for sale, I hasten to add. It's worth much more than that to me personally)

It might be worth considering a few other options on make / model / drive (crank or hub-motor) before making your final decision.

Edit: Crossed with Lynda and Tara. ( I see this is yet another bike which has hardly been used. )

How much does the seller want for the bike?

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Problem with the Twist 1 and 2 models was that the motor was a regenerating one. It didn't regenerate well and having no freewheel it did have high drag when pedalled without power. Also the twin batteries are expensive and on the 2 model are NiMh, a type getting more scarce with time.

Subsequent Twist models like the Express have lost the regen, gained a freewheel and are now much better, more power and speed and nicer to ride. They've also gained a very good torque sensor system.

Personally I wouldn't touch a twist 1 or 2.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
The Problem with the Twist 1 and 2 models was that the motor was a regenerating one. It didn't regenerate well and having no freewheel it did have high drag when pedalled without power. Also the twin batteries are expensive and on the 2 model are NiMh, a type getting more scarce with time.

Subsequent Twist models like the Express have lost the regen, gained a freewheel and are now much better, more power and speed and nicer to ride. They've also gained a very good torque sensor system.

Personally I wouldn't touch a twist 1 or 2.
I remember that model now. I couldn't remember which model I tried when looking for my first bike, but the regenerating feature you mention reminded me. Agreed, it's not a good bike, feels sluggish and gives the impression of riding through 3" deep mud with the power off.

I think that they were quite expensive when new, but didn't stay on sale long. There were always quite a few for sale in the back of A2B Mag which were only a few months old.

mike_j

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2011
Before I decided to go electric I hired a Giant Twist from Rutland Water Cycling and got on very well with it. It's quite heavy, at least in the twin battery format but I had no problems with it and it all felt well built to usual Giant quality.

You don't say where you are but if Rutland Water is reachable a couple of hours hire might help you decide.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Before I decided to go electric I hired a Giant Twist from Rutland Water Cycling and got on very well with it. It's quite heavy, at least in the twin battery format but I had no problems with it and it all felt well built to usual Giant quality.
Which Twist was it though Mike? The Twist name has been applied to many very different Giant e-bikes, "Twist" just being a generic name for many of their e-bikes, some hub motored, some crank drive. As I remarked above, the later Express, Elegance and Esprit models are good in both single or twin battery forms, but the Twist 1 and 2 very poor, an opinion shared with the likes A to B who slated it with one of their worst ever reviews in respect of performance. Tillson's opinion of them feeling like riding in 3" of mud is very apt of how those felt compared with good e-bikes.

Last edited:

Tara

Pedelecer
Aug 13, 2011
Torbay, South Devon
Well I'm glad you've told me the bad stuff - I'll pass on the bike then, as I really don't want a heavy model and it wasn't dirt cheap at £400. (well it's on Ebay with a £400 start, £600 Buy it Now)

I don't know where to start now......and I'm more miffed at that than anything else.

I can't afford a new bike and can spend up to £550 max - Can you throw some make & model names at me within this used bike price range that I can research please?

Tara

Last edited:

mike_j

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2011
Which Twist was it though Mike?
I'm not sure, it was only a couple of weeks ago and the bike seemed fairly new. It was a hub motor and I think probably an Express. It didn't have regenerative braking and handled perfectly well off power.

It just seemed well engineered as though properly designed and integrated unlike some of the lower priced bikes that I have seen.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Well I'm glad you've told me the bad stuff - I'll pass on the bike then, as I really don't want a heavy model and it wasn't dirt cheap at £400. (well it's on Ebay with a £400 start, £600 Buy it Now)

I don't know where to start now......and I'm more miffed at that than anything else.

I can't afford a new bike and can spend up to £550 max - Can you throw some make & model names at me within this used bike price range that I can research please?

Tara
There are a number of members who have bought new bikes within that budget range. Hopefully they will reply. You may have noticed that there are a couple of Kudos bikes that have been mentioned. They are a dealer that advertise on this forum and some members are obviously impressed. They have the following for sale for just over your budget:
.: Kudos Cycles - e-bikes with style :.
I don't know where you are but you should really try to go and try some bikes. There will be a bike that you will sit on and know that its the one for you. Having said that.. you could adopt the catalogue approach where you buy something and then send it back it you don't like it... but that is not ideal as you will have to pay for and arrange to send it back ...

Tara

Pedelecer
Aug 13, 2011
Torbay, South Devon
Hey Kitchenman, thats a funky cute bike - I like it! I thought cheap would be bad though? 22.45kg is that light for this type of bike?

Hmmm I'll go and hunt down some reviews on the 'cheetah'

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Hey Kitchenman, thats a funky cute bike - I like it! I thought cheap would be bad though? 22.45kg is that light for this type of bike?

Hmmm I'll go and hunt down some reviews on the 'cheetah'
Weight is always an issue. I just bought a bike for my brother. It cost just over a £1000 and weighs about the same as the "cheetah" ... I have a Cytronex/Cannondale bike that cost me closer to £2000 and that weighs under 17 kgs .. so .. it is possible to go light but you would have to pick up a second hand Cytronex but even those tend to go for a bit more than you want to pay ...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm not sure, it was only a couple of weeks ago and the bike seemed fairly new. It was a hub motor and I think probably an Express. It didn't have regenerative braking and handled perfectly well off power.

It just seemed well engineered as though properly designed and integrated unlike some of the lower priced bikes that I have seen.
Yes, one thing that's true of all the Giant e-bikes, even the couple of poor performing models, they are very good quality and appear as nice designs.

muckymits

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2011
I have done a little bit of work to these Twists, found it a nice bike although not my style. Main downside for me was the rear wheel, a pure *&^%* to get off. I have worked out mods ;D