Help! Newbie - What would you do in my situation?

jdd676

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 29, 2023
Hi all!

Newbie here as I just discovered the site today (not sure why it took me so long!)

I am looking to convert a Cannondale Quick Speed 2 (2016) (with tyres 30-622 126x1.20 - 700 x 300) like the one below or replace it with an electric equivalent if that makes more sense. This hybrid is a good bike for me (being tall) so guessing a conversion might work best.

The bike gets used for trips around town, longer bike rides with my son, and occasional trail rides. I am seeking electric just as an encouragement for the longer journeys when tired, or for for the inevitable 360 degree headwind, to avoid the temptation just to use the car.

I would be very grateful if anyone here could advise simply on what you would do in my situation. With work and family commitments, I am honestly struggling to mentally process all the options.

Many thanks.

(Edit: I had an order for a swytch but cancelled as I had no faith in their customer service or even staying in business. Could use a cycle-to-work scheme. Happy to do hands-on building/maintenance)

jdd676

Apr 29, 2023
(Just checking: did I ask a dumb question or is this post in the wrong place?)

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
You might have slipped off the front page before being seen due to level of forum activity in recent days!

Nice simple bike, capable of receiving any of the three conversion kit types: front hub, mid drive, rear hub.

As you were lined up with Swytch, and want part time assistance, the lightest front hub kit with not too large a battery might be the way to go.

Others can suggest actual models etc better than I, and I'm sure help will be here soon.

Reactions: jdd676

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Looking at the bike and I may be wrong , are they thru axles ?
If you want to pedal with no power to extend range then the TSDZ has the higher(double) internal gear ratio then the Bafang.

Last edited:

Oldie

Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2013
Scotland
My choice would be a Bafang mid-drive as it's usually such an easy install, and tidy to boot. Woosh do a few but I might go for their bag battery kit. Woosh are very helpful and could advise on any possible cable re-routing if you sent them pics of your BB. Of course, you could save money and import from abroad but as a first timer, buying in the UK might suit you better. Anyway, here's a link to what I'm talking about.

jdd676

Apr 29, 2023
That's really helpful, thank you @Oldie. I will drop Woosh a line, although interested in imports too if there's a reliable source with a worthwhile discount. :)

(Edit: I can't tell if the bag version allows you to easily detach it for security like a swytch?)

My choice would be a Bafang mid-drive as it's usually such an easy install, and tidy to boot. Woosh do a few but I might go for their bag battery kit. Woosh are very helpful and could advise on any possible cable re-routing if you sent them pics of your BB. Of course, you could save money and import from abroad but as a first timer, buying in the UK might suit you better. Anyway, here's a link to what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
(Edit: I can't tell if the bag version allows you to easily detach it for security like a swytch?)
There is no lock and key on the bag batteries.
The connectors are the red and black Andersons, they need very low insertion force and produce virtually no spark.
The battery is supplied with an extension lead, to connect Andersons to bullets for your motor.

If you want to secure it to the bike frame, run a steel loop around the connectors and attach the loop to the frame.

The saddle bag is made by Rockbros or Wildman you can replace it easily if you want to.

You get about 50 miles range.

Last edited:

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
Does that version of the Cannondale Quick Speed have carbon forks?

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
I had a 9 year Boardman 29er Mountain Bike with a Large Frame that I just had converted to an ebike . I bought the Bafang BBS02B mid drive kit (motor, colour display and 48v 20A Hailong downtube battery {that just fits in the large frame} for £640 new on ebay). Somebody locally converts them and he charged me £100. I had to convert the bottom bracket to fit the Bafang motor (think that was about £30 for the adapter - make sure you get the right one if you need it). I replaced the rear cassette and chain with a heavier duty one as well. Has been great so far, although I have ordered the programming cable to program it to be not as powerful in the lower modes - it takes off !. Very pleased so far - will have to see reliability wise.

jdd676

Apr 29, 2023
Thanks @Peter.Bridge - just looking into the mid-drive kits. Does the low clearance cause any issues?

@Nealh - I missed your previous post, sorry, I will have to check the axel.

Last edited:

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023

Not for me, the motor is above the chain ring, maybe really heavy duty mountain biking, I'm usually going along tracks of some description, even if they are pitted and rocky. BBS01 is smaller and lighter than mine and probably need less battery to go the same range