Newby king of the Newby's

Les686

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 22, 2010
Hello everyone,

I am very new and am about to buy an electric bike. I would greatly appreciate your expert advice. I am only a little feller - five feet six and a quarter - and I have a bit of a limp. I can push down on pedals ok once I am seated but I would benefit from a helpful push from a standing start to overcome the weight of the heavy bike. My own feeling is for a step through frame and 20" wheels so I could easily put both feet flat on the floor at traffic lights, plus a twist and go throttle. It sounds like a folder but it would not matter if it wasn't.

My worst nightmare is a flat battery a mile from home. I would be in real trouble. From what I read, to avoid the flat battery thing and get some help up hills, I should be looking for the maximum range expected from 36v 10ah battery and 250w motor as a minimum specification. My price range would be in the order of £1000 to £1,200.

Looking round the web I have come up with :-

Green Edge Black Star
City Runner
Ezee Chopper

I would be grateful to know if one of these stands out as the obvious choice or if anyone knows of any other machines that would be better. Thank you for your help.

Les.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Welcome to the forum Lofty (I'm 5' 6" ;))

The eZee Chopper is a good choice since it will give you the best push off the mark and hill climbing of all due to the low internal gearing of the motor. There's nothing for free though, since that low internal gearing also means the motor will only assist to 13 mph maximum, not the usual legal 15 mph.

Another advantage is that it can now come with the extended range 14 Ah battery and even has a twin battery option to enable you to get exhausted before the batteries do.

One proviso though. Do please check with the agents Onbike whether it still has throttle only operation. It used to have, but many bikes now have to be pedalled off the mark a turn or two before the motor starts.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
What about a Wisper? The 805 or 806 Alpino would fit the bill as well...

Scatty

Pedelecer
Jan 15, 2009
If you can try them all do it, but if can't then i seriously recommend the city runner that lil bike is seriously powerfull & the only one torque assisted on pedal assist which on take off is very quick to get up to speed or you can just pull the throttle back & off you go. but try & test all of them if you can & get the best one for your money.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
the only one torque assisted on pedal assist which on take off is very quick to get up to speed
This applies to all the bikes using the Panasonic unit too, maximum power available from a standstill applied by torque sensor, shooting off the mark, and a high power mode to make it almost alarming. No full power throttle alternative on those though.

Les686

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 22, 2010
For flecc, Eddieo and Scatty 2

It was short and terrifying.

This is the City Runner if you have not seen one Electric Bikes By Poweredbicycles - Aluminium Alloy Frame - Lightweight - CITY RUNNER Ultra Light 36V Li-on Battery

I had visions of it moving off very sedately, a bit like an ordinary bike but without all the work. I thought the motor would cut out immediately I loosed the clutch allowing me to coast quietly to a stop...

Har, Har, Har.

The moment I touched the throttle it leaped into the air reaching top speed in one second and I came close to leaving the saddle backwards. During a maiden trip of no more than a quarter of a mile or so I almost killed an unsuspecting mother and child and had two elderly ladies try to commit suicide under my wheels. The last part of the trip is up a steep hill with my house three quarters of the way up. It went up the hill at the sort of speed I would normally coast down and I sailed on past my house unable to stop in time. I got off and walked the new monster back the last few yards onto my drive in case I hit the house. What I need is some sort of modification that will gear everything down a notch. An electronic gadget, perhaps, that when wired in will make it less like a wild bronco. Please someone tell me there is something like that.

Les.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Lot's of e-bikes are rather like that Les, you will get more skilled with it. Try giving it a little more time before trying to modify it. Life will just be exciting meanwhile. :eek:

Your account will probably do wonders for sales of this bike. :D

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Get a helmet and eye test...and third party insurance...Surprised Flecc did not recommend at least the lid:confused:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Surprised Flecc did not recommend at least the lid:confused:
Now then Eddie, naughty! :D

Judging from Les has said, it's the rest of the population in his area who need the protective gear, and even Jeremy Clarkson might like one.

Seriously, the leverage advantage of those small wheels does give these bikes great acceleration and hill climbing, especally on the more powerful 36 volt models, it's similar on my Q-bike. Once accustomed it's not a problem though.