Nexus 7 Problems

daniel67

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 10, 2007
Has anyone else had this problem with Nexus 7 gears, When I change from
5th to 6th the bike goes into 4th, from 6th to 7th it goes into 3rd. The cable adjustment is aligned and tweaking it does nothing except keep it in 5th.

Any simple ideas? or do I send it to get fixed.

The problem is on a 4 day old Agattu

Daniel

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Very unusual on a new Shimano Nexus Daniel. Was it like it on receipt or did it suddenly happen subsequently?

Meanwhile, best get on to 50cycles about it as it's brand new.

daniel67

Nov 10, 2007
I noticed it on Yesterday, I think it has been like this from the start.

I will call 50cycles on Monday

Daniel

mastanlem

Pedelecer
May 4, 2007
I had trouble with my Nexus hub gears on my Gazelle. I then found out that I should not be pedaling normally when changing gear but either one half back pedal or not at all.

They now work perfectly.

Marina

daniel67

Nov 10, 2007
Nexus 7 Fixed

Well it is still a mystery what the problem was but a new wheel sent by lloyd at 50cycles has got my Agattu working. Seems I was just unlucky with a very rare nexus problem

prState

Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
On my nexus 4 speed, I always pause pedaling for a moment to shift gears.

If the motor is off though, it worked fine to keep pedaling and shifting. It always seemed the extra force of the motor could mess it up.

Also, in the beginning, the bike techs at the shop did not adjust it properly to the markings, so I had problems with it for the first month of ownership on my Lafree. I finally learned to do it myself.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Glad it's fixed Daniel, certainly a rare occurrence on a brand new Nexus 7, normally one of the most reliable hub gears.

Dell

Apr 3, 2007
Probably not related, but one of the problems I had with my nexus hub was losing the first few gears.Took awhile to realize the outer cable had jumped out of it`s recess where it goes into the twist grip.It takes quite some effort to do this and I was beginning to think kids had pulled it out.Then it happened when I stopped at traffic lights. Turns out when I flicked the gear change from high to 1st if you do it too quick the outer cable will become slack.This is now the first thing I look for if it seems hard going in low gears.;)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That should run in and get much better Dell, but it's worth using a spray lubricant like WD40 on the rear mechanism to ensure it's free acting, as the change shouldn't have that stiffness. It's unlikely to be the new cable binding, but worth checking along it's run for any kinked point.