Night time biking

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
Just cycled the Brompton 30 night-time miles through the Surrey lanes to get home after a long shift (missed the last train)...saw a ridiculous amount of wildlife. Mice, voles, owls, 3 deer, 2 foxes and a badger carrying a dead fox down the road which he dropped and ran off when startled.

The Crystalyte motor is so silent, I suppose animals usually get well out of the way before you see most of them from a car and they just don't hear me coming on the bike. Quite freaky but amazing; can't wait to do it again! Hope the badger goes back for his dinner.

Morgann

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2011
Hope the badger goes back for his dinner.

Even becoming roadkill helps somebody. Karma I call it.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
@benjy_a. That sounds like a great trip. A whole other world, right under peoples noses, that most people are totally unaware of. Back in my lorry driving days, we used to start work at various ungodly hours, often before dawn, even in midsummer. Once out of town, you often had the whole world to yourself, grassfields grey with dew, and rabbits gambolling. I did a lot of agency work on short term contracts. A summer job I loved was hauling fresh peas from farm to factory on the nightshift. I remember cresting a hill, up in the Lincolnshire Wolds. Below me was a shallow valley, completely filled with mist, with only the tree tops poking out above it. Like something from a fairy tale. There are people who live their whole lives without ever seeing a sunrise.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
@benjy_a. That sounds like a great trip. A whole other world, right under peoples noses, that most people are totally unaware of. Back in my lorry driving days, we used to start work at various ungodly hours, often before dawn, even in midsummer. Once out of town, you often had the whole world to yourself, grassfields grey with dew, and rabbits gambolling. I did a lot of agency work on short term contracts. A summer job I loved was hauling fresh peas from farm to factory on the nightshift. I remember cresting a hill, up in the Lincolnshire Wolds. Below me was a shallow valley, completely filled with mist, with only the tree tops poking out above it. Like something from a fairy tale. There are people who live their whole lives without ever seeing a sunrise.
It's moments like that you curse the broken camera in the glove box. Today's reasonable quality phone cams mean that many such moments will be caught from now on. Perhaps.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Below me was a shallow valley, completely filled with mist, with only the tree tops poking out above it. Like something from a fairy tale. There are people who live their whole lives without ever seeing a sunrise.
I had many years of those experiences Neptune, but now I consider I've had my fair ration, so I turn over and go to sleep again. :)