[Noobie] First step to Lipo

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Hello there,

I'm planning to start using Lipo and purchased a second hand e-scooter that would use it. He helped to choose what I have to purchase (really nice guy)

The problem is that now I have my shopping list and I don't know how to make it work.

I'm trying to do a very basic thing:
- Charge my Lipo batteries for the first time.

But I have to change the connectors to 4mm in order to plug it to the charger (and later to the e-scooter)

Here is my problem:
See the picture below (I removed it to keep the webpage fast to load)

The battery used:HobbyKing R/C Hobby Store : ZIPPY Flightmax 8000mAh 5S1P 30C
The connector: HobbyKing R/C Hobby Store : HXT 4mm Gold Connector w/ Protector (10pcs/set)
The charger:HobbyKing R/C Hobby Store : HobbyKing ECO6-10 200W 10A 6S Bal/Dis/Cyc Charger w/ acc.

Any idea how to make it work?

Thanks guys (you're the most helpful forum ever)

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
You really need to get someone to help you if you are stuck at this point. Clearly you are not profficient to use these poetentially dangerous cells.

Firstly I that lipo will not have sufficient voltage to power the e-scooter, which is probably 36v. That 5s lipo will only put out 18.5v.

Lipos can be quite dangerous unless you treat them with care.

Regards

Jerry

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
That's fine, the guy is helping me. I'm just sometime impatient and would like to have faster answers so I ask also for your opinion.

I have to do something like this I think:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVLJRnDERu0

Also, this is a kick scooter converted to electric. So it doesn't need much power.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
What voltage is the motor on the converted scooter ?

You will need to balance the battery when you charge it using that balance tab.

I am pretty sure that battery won't have enough voltage for the Scooter and you will need a couple connected in series.

Does it have an existing battery and if so what voltage is it ?

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
The batteries have been removed but it should be working with the new one. It's a second hand scooter, he kept his batteries and it's better for me to have new batteries anyway.

Also, I just figured a way to connect the battery to the charger:

Do you think it's right?

ps: I'm not sure about the voltage and type of battery. But it should work because I'm using the same configuration as the one he used previously. Here is the e-scooter I purchased: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=29136

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Ah that type of scooter. I thought you meant a full sized scooter :eek:

Looking at the details in the link you posted it seems still need a 36V battery unless he changed it to only use 1 battery pack ?

"as simple and as light as possible : 5 kg for the electric scooter + 1.5 kg for lipo batteries (2 x 5S 5000 mAh in a backpack)"

He states he is using two 5s packs ?

There may be a language barrier here as well. Black is - ve and Red is + ve.

PS the connectors look right but you will also need to use the balance lead when you charge it. When you do the connectors do them one at a time including the heatshrink so that you don't accidently short them!

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

The main thing when working with lipos is never to have bare +ve and -ve wires at the same time. If they touch, you'll see sparks like firework night and probably blow one of the inter-cell connections. Are you certain that 18.8v is enough for that scooter, otherwise you need to make a "Y" lead to put two packs in series. When you charge the lipos, you have to use the white 5S balance connector as well as the power leads, and find out to to use the charger for balance-charging.

The next thing is that you need to make sure that you don't over-discharge the battery when using it. There's no low-voltage protection, so it will go completely flat to 0v. If it goes past 3.0v per cell, it can become dangerous. A voltmeter is the minimum, an alarm is better, both is better still..

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Guys, thanks for these answer. Really appreciated.

I think 1 pack is enough, but I purchased 2 pack in case of. Here you can see a video of the scooter:
1er test de la trottinette électrique - YouTube

Somehow it's closer and closer to what I'm looking for: Efficient and easy to carry vehicle :)

Max speed of 37km/h. Quite impressive actually!

I'll try to solder the wires first, then charge and balance the batteries. Then I'll try to add the throttle and connect the low voltage alarm + wattmeter (I already purchased all of them). I'm completely newbie but I'm so excited to build this scooter and be able (I hope) to ride it!!!

Gonna cut and solder now!! will keep you in touch guys very shortly!! Even if my house is on fire :D

ps: I've heard so much of Lipo magic, I'm finally part of this type of user. Hope it worth its reputation!

ps2: Actually, I think I may have done some spark previously by connecting badly my batteries. It was very short so I think I should not have any problem. Finger crossed when I'll plug them to the charger!

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I liked the video thanks.

Looks like he carries the batteries in his pack pack :p

Regards

Jerry

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Man these things look like fun :p

Totally illegal in the UK I suppose ?

Almost an EBrompton with smaller wheels and no pedals lol

Some have full suspension!

Another here lol

Sorry yo hijack the thread and thanks for bringing these to our attention.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Ok it gets crazier skip to the end (6:22) of this video LMAO

Some other greate old and new bikes in that video too.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Yeah, these scooters look fun. But they weight... around 35 kg or more!!

Can't carry them ;)

I'm now stuck on the lipo, I tried to solder the connector but it seems that my connector is too small?

On the right the lipo cable and on the left the connector.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Can you not just change all the connectors so they match.
Least that way you can choose the connections you prefere

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Yes, I'm actually changing all the connectors, now I'm changing the ones from the battery to match the one from the scooter.

Ok, time to reduce the size of the battery cable to fit it to the connector :)

D

Deleted member 4366

I had the same problem with my Ping battery, where the leads were as thick as car jump leads. I just soldered thinner wires to them and insulated the join. I then soldered the connectors to the thinner wires. Use the thickest wire that fits in the connector. Maplins sell 30 amp wire that should be about right.

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
I had the same problem with my Ping battery, where the leads were as thick as car jump leads. I just soldered thinner wires to them and insulated the join. I then soldered the connectors to the thinner wires. Use the thickest wire that fits in the connector. Maplins sell 30 amp wire that should be about right.
Yes, I did exactly that, too, even to the Maplins wire!

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Yes, that's what I'm going to do:

==> Here I'm going to solder the bigger cable to the smaller one with tape protection.

The only problem is that I don't have heatshrink and I may need to use tape.

I'm going to see if I can find a shot that sell heatshrink outside today (even though it's sunday :()

D

Deleted member 4366

Yes, that's what I'm going to do:
==> Here I'm going to solder the bigger cable to the smaller one h tape protection.

The only problem is that I don't have heatshrink and I may need to use tape.

I'm going to see if I can find a shot that sell heatshrink outside today (even though it's sunday :()
Maplins have it. They're open on Sudays

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Thanks d8veh!! Just purchased 5mm and 7mm heatshrink from maplin :)

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Guys, it's charging, it's working!!! I finally made it!!

I'm soooo proud of meeeeee :D

I also soldered badly so many connectors and almost had a fire in my house when the + and - of the battery touched.
See how the red connector melted :D