Not sure my ebike is any quicker over my commute than a road bike would be.

dazzie

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2008
Hi all,

Please excuse me while I sit and doubt my bike a minute :)

The other day I happened across a guy on a hybrid bicycle at some traffic lights whilst on the way to Uni (If you know Bristol then it's the end of Bath road (by BMW Motorcycles) heading towards Brislington). We set off and he got a bit of a gap on me before we quickly reached the first big hill. By the top of the hill I've caught him up but then he gaps me again on the next bit of flat before absolutely bombing it (freewheeling) down the other side of the hill.

There's an even steeper hill on the other side of the decline but despite being a little bit quicker up the hill than he is he's got too much of a lead from being so much quicker down the previous hill than me and so by the time I make it to the top of the second hill he's got quite a lead on me - probably 20 seconds or more. Another 1/3 of a mile and there's a long downhill section that leads onto a short 1/2 mile or so dual carriage way. By the time I'm onto the dual carriage way section he's out of my sight.

In about 2 miles this guy got 1/2 a mile on me, mainly through being so much quicker on the downhill sections. I wasn't best pleased, have to say. :mad: :D

Anyone else experienced this? I'm so tempted to buy a road bike just to compare times / energy demands.

Daz

Last edited:

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
He will have higher gearing so can drive the bike to higher speeds downhill, although you will have the advantage of greater weight which will make you naturally faster downhill.
However, ebikes fare best against normal bikes in hilly country. He's probably a fairly fit cyclist to almost match you up a hill. In flat country he might cruise along at 20-23 mph and leave you well behind.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Club riders frequently fly pass me on the flat but there are a not many places they are able to get up the momentum as the Wisper is easily the fastest away from the lights or uphill. On the long uphill sections I'm going about 3 times faster than the unassisted riders and the downhills I coast pretty much as fast as conditions allow. I think overall a club rider wouldn't be much quicker than me but I don't know as I've not met any that ride the distance. :D
I am very tempted to try it on a decent road bike but couldn't imaging commuting like that as all the extra stuff I have to carry would slow down anyone.

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
Ive been behind fit lycra's in my car and they can ride at a steady 30 mph for ages.Im fat and 48 and I cant.Two different markets I reckon.

Rad

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2008
I always thought the point of an e-bike was being able to travel a greater distance than on a normal bike?

dazzie

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2008
I always thought the point of an e-bike was being able to travel a greater distance than on a normal bike?
True. I think that now I'm three weeks fitter I'm getting grand illusions that I'm more capable than my bike is letting me be. I'm sure I'll snap out of it in a minute. :eek:

Mattyduk

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2007
my reason for going back to an e-bike after a year on a manual, was that I wanted to arrive at work, and back at home fresher, not faster/quicker.

My wife's heavily pregnant with twins, so I have the joys of doing everything round the house now - so I need to keep a bit of energy free for the evenings (well, that's how I got the purchase past the wife !).

So I don't go as fast as some manuals on the straight, but when I get to the big hills or head winds, I don't feel I'm about to flake out.

Also, with my Pro-connect, I can load up panniers with shopping and not worry about it effecting the time or energy I have to expend.

Mat

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
dazzie posted:
Not sure my ebike is any quicker over my commute than a road bike would be ....

If you were comparing it "like for like" (with you riding both bikes) then I would say it’s likely it is. General people who ride ebikes are not wanting super fast bikes, they just want a more comfortable / less stressful ride. I read somewhere that an ebike speeds up an overall route by 10 to 15 percent.
If you start comparing to lycra cyclists (very fit cyclists) then you’ll most likely come in second.

My own ebike has regeneration in the motor, so when going down hill it feels like the brakes are on. The fastest free wheel I've had so far was about 29mph and that was down a very long steep hill. My gearing is such that I have to wait for the bike to slow to around 17mph before I can start to pedal again.

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
I frequently go on rides of 25 miles plus which i would struggle to do on a conventional bike. I can now ride up steep hills which i would have drowned in sweat on previously. To me the point of an ebike is i can go further and more importantly get back again !!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Agreed with the above, e-bikes don't really cut it for speed, even moderate ability club riders are faster over a journey. The more serious club members do 25 mile rides in very hilly territory at an average of over 20 mph, and 50 miles at nearly 20 mph average, beyond legal e-bike capabilities.

As said elsewhere, e-bikes are about assistance for "normal" cycling to make it easier, rather than about performance.

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
My bikes being a Cytronex is both Hybrid & electric. I can take the battery off (2.5KG) and apart from the nano hub, controller and wiring its a standard mid-range Hybrid bike. I sometimes ride it like this and the difference on the flat or downhill, with no headwind, is not worth the cost. Ok it pulls away faster but thats it.

Sadly there's not much flat round these parts and the electric assist up all those upward slopes, hills or headwinds is well worth it. I agree when comparing with other cyclists it's mostly about the rider.

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
My riding speed on a regular bike is about 10-11mph. In to a head wind and that drops to 7-8mph. With my Wisper I do about 14.5-15.5 with a head wind dropping me down to 13.5-14mph. I pedal enough to maintain that speed but on a regular bike I just end up with legs that just won't work no more, then I stop pedalling and end up coasting down to a stop - which I don't because I start pedalling again even though my legs don't want to work. In the end I wind up in granny gear with the snails saying "Race yah!"

I can put extra effort in on the Wisper to gain a boost in speed and then when my legs give up the ghost I can let the bike take the strain while I take a breather. Works for me :D

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
My average with an ebike versus normal bike is pretty much the same over my route but if you take into account not having to shower and change at each end of the journey then the ebike means that the total time I use up is quite a lot less.

I can thrash my ebike with a racing bike but only on days with little wind and even then I'd have to take 30 minutes showing and changing (15 mins after each leg). Then also much more time fixing punctures.

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
.... In the end I wind up in granny gear with the snails saying "Race yah!" ....

I can put extra effort in on the Wisper to gain a boost in speed and then when my legs give up the ghost I can let the bike take the strain while I take a breather. Works for me :D
So you’re not at all perturbed by the small distance voices behind you now crying;

"Come back, we miss you"

(Sorry can't talk like a snail got a cold).

RobNYC

Pedelecer
Apr 12, 2008
New York, New York
I think there are different points of ebikes for different people. I used to use my regular bike for my 6 mile roundtrip commute. I exclusively use my Quando now for the same trip. I like getting to work sweat-free.

And I also find that on the ebike, I am more apt to be alert for danger, than if I'm huffing and puffing, and more able to quickly respond to threats while moving through chaotic midtown Manhattan streets.

So, comfort, ease and safety are the points for me.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And I also find that on the ebike, I am more apt to be alert for danger, than if I'm huffing and puffing, and more able to quickly respond to threats while moving through chaotic midtown Manhattan streets.
Good point Rob, one I've made before about e-bikes including in my Quando test article. Being relaxed makes a rider many times more safe through being able to pay more attention to other things around.

joab

Pedelecer
My race bike is about 8 minutes faster but then I need to take a shower. same thing on the way home, I have to shower. on my ebike I cruise at 25km and I don't have to shower. its a lot better for my skin. regards Jo

dazzie

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2008
Thanks for the replies all, much appreciated.

A few comments suggest that for a lot of people the benefit is being able to get to work without needing to have a shower when you get there. Not sure where I'm going wrong then - I'm drenched in sweat by the time I get to Uni (to the point where I have to wear a different t-shirt there and back!) so I need a shower regardless of whether I'm on an ebike or not. I guess that's a consequence of being so heavy. :(

And I agree my initial idea for getting an ebike was that I knew I'd never be able to commute every day on a normal bike. Now I feel a bit fitter maybe I'm just getting closer to the time where a normal bike will be better for me / the commute? I think I might just have to get a racer and find out for sure.