NuVinci CVT (Automatic Gears) Hub

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Thanks for the very comprehensive reply Jim. Stu is fine by me. I won't comment on every point if you don't mind, I'm limited in both physical and mental capacity due to illness.

Now to the bikes, in all honestly I believe that you won't feel like pedalling above the assisted limit on the flat, I know that on the times I do I'm always thinking shall I just ease off to drop below 16.5 mph and halve my effort, I'll be doing about 18 mph at the time.

So the gearing of the nexus 8 will be OK for you. The only thing I'm not sure about is if you're going to get full assistance from a Bosch with your low cadence, it does respond to high pedal loads as well. but seems best with a combination of both. I can spin to 100+ quite easily.

My brain has switched off now sorry. So that's yet more questions than answers probably.

I'm getting hungry now, what times tea? :)

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I enjoy looking at this and have assumed that everyone would already have seen it, but maybe not....
I'd be tempted to buy a NuVinci given that you've got used to that sort of system on your Burgman, and the way the cross trainer adjusts automatically too.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
JimB ..

From what you have written, if you don't mind my saying this, you're actually someone for whom that Ergo is probably as ideally suited as any. There's a specific medical reason to limit HR and have a bike assist proportionately... and it's likely a lot easier to manage and optimise this when you're sticking to a top limit with automatic transmission. Since the goal is in part a more enjoyable way of getting cardio exercise than an indoor trainer can deliver the money would likely be worth spending. Plus I'd hazard if it didn't work out you could sell the bike on pretty readily without more than £200-£300 loss in value over the Summer as a nearly new bike. You're pretty much the ideal buyer for one so if it isn't right for you it's hard to see who it would be right for !

Objectively, for a far cheaper option, if you are really concerned about the security of such a costly bike on tour, I'd also consider a higher powered hub motor kit bike with a throttle. Pedal effort is much easier to regulate and you can most likely cycle your routes at a sensible (and even more exciting) pace without moving into hazardous HR territory, get plenty of gentle exercise in nice surroundings doing so and also have some fun in the process ! Realize there may be reasons why you'd not want to go down that route but it's an option I wouldn't rule out.

JimB

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2013
Derbyshire
Thanks to you all again.

Stu - the smell of that marinated pork now infusing the house (simmering for 3 hours now) and just started making the Ancho Chilli Tomato Salsa. You'll need to get over here for around 1700 as I'm not having lunch!

BTW, just jumped on the X-trainer to check cadence (I don't usually look at that) and at my usual speed its actually 60 not the 50 I quoted. Naturally I can go a lot faster than that but one of things about cardio related training is 'managing' your output to get the best out of the regime. There is also the comfort factor.

Cycling is a different leg movement to skiing or fast walking and I have no way of relating one to the other as I've never measured my cadence rate on a bike.

At the moment however I find it difficult to imagine sustaining 100 although I'm sure I could achieve that in shortish bursts.

If you've looked at the KTM Nuvinci bike video (above) that cadence is one that I would be more than happy with over longer distances but I have no idea what rate it might be and I can't be ar*ed getting my stopwatch and calculator.

Alex...you have once again covered many of the points I had included in my long and tortuous decision making process. It would be interesting to see how the Ergo actually worked with a target heart rate program but whilst I value the health benefits of cycling I'd put money on it that I would probably only use the bike in that way once or twice simply because I think there's a danger that it might get in the way of my primary reason for buying a bike - enjoyment of riding. I'm not in any real danger of getting into dangerous heart rate territory and in any event I have a Garmin Forerunner 305 GPS (with handlebar mount) with heart rate monitor which is really good and can be plugged into the PC for a very detailed analysis of the ride / walk / run or whatever.

You are however correct.

I can use the cross trainer in all weathers and temperatures for target heart rate exercise. It's actually not that boring...I'm looking out of the window and listening to the radio without fear of not hearing that truck bearing down on me from behind.

If I bought the Ergo it would really be because ;
1. it looks better and,
2. that model brings back front suspension whereas the standard Nuvinci loses them in favour of Big Apple tyres (the cheaper Nexus 8 has suspension forks).

So back to emotional decisions and Big Boys' (and Girls') Toys and the 'so what? test.

Every time I see that Nuvinci video it makes the sale. It's going to have be a real bummer of a test ride to put me off Nuvinci.........but when will Woosh have a ChiNavinci?

Until then....Kalkhoff? or KTM?

Ooooh, the smell of that Carnita is driving me wild! Must go and do the Salsa and the Guacamole.

JimB

Last edited:

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Briefly, I think I'll take back the comment about the bosch not being suitable, it sounds like you will be able to rise to the occasion when needed, which is really only on the steeper hills.

I'm just setting off, you're only 30 miles away, Tea and battery charge and I'll be back home for 9.30 pm.

I'm very happy with my new KTM at £1,400. ;)

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
AVE 2013 models will include Nuvincini on some of the TH models ;). So you could add them in to the mix depending on when you want the bike. Not available in the UK till later in the year

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
If I bought the Ergo it would really be because ;
1. it looks better and,
2. that model brings back front suspension whereas the standard Nuvinci loses them in favour of Big Apple tyres (the cheaper Nexus 8 has suspension forks).
JimB
I find that the Big Apple tyres don't do a bad job of absorbing some of the lumps and bumps - adequate for poor road surfaces and most cycle tracks. But then I've never been a big fan of suspension.

JimB

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2013
Derbyshire
AVE 2013 models will include Nuvincini on some of the TH models ;). So you could add them in to the mix depending on when you want the bike. Not available in the UK till later in the year
Yes, I've seen the Ave Nuvincis (David?) and can't quite make up my mind but KTM may come out on top yet.

JimB

JimB

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2013
Derbyshire
I find that the Big Apple tyres don't do a bad job of absorbing some of the lumps and bumps - adequate for poor road surfaces and most cycle tracks. But then I've never been a big fan of suspension.
I have limited experience Jonah but I have experienced them on the Macina Bold without suspension and I hadn't even noticed that there was no suspension during the ride.

Therefore, I agree with you.

Large Tequila, Mexican meal with Spanish (nearly Mexican) wine Radio Quelite from internet radio now going for expresso and a shot and why is it getting dark so early.

Perfick! As they say in Acapulco!

:cool:

Hasta la wosname!

JimB

JimB

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2013
Derbyshire
I quite like the 2013 TH9 LE Step-thru;

TH9

I see it's pretty widely available on the Continent.

When's the UK importer going to ship some?

JimB

Last edited:

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Whilst we're testing the the Agattu i8 HS step-thru and the Sahel i360 Harmony Step-thru on Monday this is so that I can make a decision regarding Nuvinci over traditional gears and also to see whether the 8 speed suffers from the issue of having to pause pedalling to change down under load (does the 11 speed Alfine also require this?).
Did you test any bikes today then, Jim ? If so, what were your thoughts ?

StuntmanBob

Pedelecer
Feb 14, 2013
I put a NuVinci N360 on my Tonaro last weekend, replacing the original 8 speed cluster and derailleur. I found this thread last week prior to fitting it, and was a little concerned about the 'treacle' feeling mentioned at the start of this thread when pedalling unassisted - I had not heard of this trait before.

However after 60km on the saddle trying it out, I can't say that I have noticed it. I have no pedal assist, only throttle, so ride for extended periods with no assistance (only use it when its needed, where I live is relatively flat). A good section of the ride was on unsealed limestone track, and the bike cruised along nicely (unassisted) at 18 - 22kmh with no noticeable drag.

With a 48T chainring and an 18T sprocket though, the gearing is wrong and its a battle to keep a good cadence going at 30+ speeds. Top speed is good though, in the right conditions - I'm fast pedalling at 50kmh whereas before it was a frantic cadence at 44kmh. I have a 46T and a 19T coming so I can see what works best for me.

So far, quite happy with N360. Only gripe is it is hard to shift up with the power applied (pedalling is ok, but not under motor power), I find I still have to back off the throttle ever so slightly to do so. Shifting down is fine. Compared to the original freewheel, its bloody quiet!

JimB

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2013
Derbyshire
Did you test any bikes today then, Jim ? If so, what were your thoughts ?
Yes Alex, we did but the tests were nothing like exhaustive and I'm loath to come to many conclusions but here are a few impressions.

We test rode the Agattu I8 HS Stepthru and the Sahel i360 Harmony Stepthru. I had previously expressed a preference for bikes with 28" wheels but they both had 26".

The location of the 50Cycles unit in Loughborough is such that whilst easy to find and park (Driving Test Centre appears to be co-located so plenty of 'L' plates manoeuvring in the car park) the only route nearby which had any hills involved at least initial departure using a busy and hazardous looking main road the my co rider refused at the first fence. That left a nice clear but very flat cycle path leading out in two directions but we tore up and down the part which led to the station a few hundred yards away after a while manoeuvring around the car park areas.

The i8 had the Nexus 8 speed hub (no Alfines yet) and unfortunately it was maladjusted so gear changing was largely an unpleasant experience accompanied by snatching pedals and crunching noises from the back end. That notwithstanding the rode well but have no idea what sort of turn of speed I managed as it doesn't come with any controller showing speed and the like. My impression was that it was a pleasant ride, or would be after the gears were adjusted and might be well suited to maybe fairly undemanding riding although I think the gearing is low enough to be of real use on hills. The transmission of electric power was very smooth indeed but thinking back now even at fullish tilt in 8th gear I wasn't aware of hitting 'the wall' so either I wasn't going fast enough (gearing maybe a bit low for me?) or the run off of power was so smooth that I just didn't notice it.

The i360 Harmony comes, of course, with the NuVinci Harmony hub and this has a controller fitted on the bars which indicates speed, battery usage, power setting and so on, in addition to the Nuvinci controller which the rider can toggle, via a co-located button, between cadence rate and a sort of manual gear selector albeit one which is, in theory at least, infinitely variable.

In the mode where the rider selects their favoured cadence rate you just peddle away and the bike changes gear according to the conditions in order to maintain the selected cadence rate. In that mode the bike is a real 'dawdle' to ride and I have to admit that I immediately felt at home just cycling and not having to think at all about changing gear.

The bike did feel as if had effective gear ratio wider than the Nexus 8 but I slipped up in not trying it in manual gear selection mode and going for the highest ratio to see what that produced. The best speed I managed was 20 mph downwind and 18 mph the other way. I have no idea what pressures the tyres were at although the battery was over half charge. I was aware of the power being off at 20 mph but my perception was that the effort required to maintain speed was no or little different to a normally geared bike.

If I was being held at gunpoint and being forced to buy a bike and choice was limited to one of those two I would pick the Sahel i360 Harmony without hesitation. The experience at 50C was about as far removed as you get from being held at gunpoint however, and that's both good news and bad news.

The bike and transmission were very quiet obviously more so that the Nexus 8 even without the latter's crunching gears. The ride was very comfortable on the Big Apple tyres and we both agreed that it was easily the more comfortable of the bikes to ride even though it does not have suspension forks like the I8 Nexus.

If I was being held at gunpoint and being forced to buy a bike and choice was limited to one of those two I would pick the Sahel i360 Harmony without hesitation. The experience at 50C was about as far removed as you get from being held at gunpoint however, and that's both good news and bad news.

When we'd finished the ride and the two bikes were parked up outside the premises I stood and looked at them (and had to remind my other half that we'd just £4,300 worth of bikes sitting outside).... (Wot? How much...and so on...). When I was looking at them my own personal view was that I wasn't looking at that sort of value. It was only this morning lying in bed that it dawned (pun almost intended) on me what was bugging me so much about them and it's that they kinda look like kids' bikes and even when riding them they don't seem to have enough 'presence' for you take them seriously.

You might think that's a funny thing to say but unfortunately, for me that's my overriding feeling.

We then drove over to Cambridge to have a look at the closest, to us, examples of Woosh Bikes as I've been intrigued by those, especially the crank drive Models. We hadn't phoned or booked beforehand although Hatti in Southend had told me that they had demo bikes....we got a friendly and informative welcome from Robert and his colleagues.

We tried the Zephyr crank drive folder (the Sirocco CD I'd hoped to try had been sold) and standard hub drive Santana stepthru - it's the forthcoming CD version of that that I was really interested in.

I'm going to cut this short as my two typing fingers are hurting already but suffice to say at the moment that I was impressed with the overall quality of these bikes, the standard Santana was adequately powered (battery was a bit low also) and very satisfactory and comfortable to ride. The little Zephyr folder with the Crank Drive was clearly in a higher league and although I wouldn't buy a folder it gave a reasonable insight into what Woosh's full size CD bikes might be capable of.

There is only one reason why I didn't come home and immediately reserve two Santana CDs and that's the absence of a torque sensor. The only sensor is a crank speed sensor which detects that the rider is pedalling and then supplies power. The power is applied smoothly but does obviously vary according to what gear you have selected and it seems possible to be in a high enough gear with low cadence for the sensor to think your not pedalling (we were in a country park and not doing a lot of speeding) - and of course the bike will not know how much effort the rider is transmitting to the pedals and cannot therefore react to that.

That having been said I think these bikes are good quality and very good value. In my case I feel thay may have spoiled the ship for the happorth (dunno how you spell that) of tar that the cost of installing torque sensors may have added. I know they are not that cheap but I believe this bike would appeal to a lot more people even at a higher price, if it had that.

The CD bikes come with a controller which looks exactly the same as the ones fitted to the Kalkhoff Sahel i360 Harmony by the way although the Woosh bikes have the Chinese Manufacturers name on them, which matters not as the whole bike is unashamed good Chinese quality (unless they're buying their parts from Germany now).

Footnote - interesting to read StuntManBob's account of his Nuvinci experience - certainly goes to show the value of getting the gearing right but glad his overall impression is also favourable.

JimB

JimB

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2013
Derbyshire
Having enjoyed using the Nuvinci Harmony gears on the test ride but looking for front suspension forks and 28" wheels a decision was made which unfortunately involved even more cash (or at least 12 months interest free finance!) with the choice of Kalkhoff Impulse Ergo Nuvinci Harmony;

Kalkhoff Impulse Ergo NuVi Harmony 45cm TI 26"

I'll have to wait a couple of weeks or so but maybe the post purchase depression will have faded by then.

:eek:

JimB

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Jim,

I'm sure that will be a great choice. Be interested to hear your impressions when it arrives.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Jim,

Just noticed the link you included above was for the small frame with 26" wheels (I think). I assume that you ordered the 28" model. Just checking.

50 Hertz

Pedelecer
Mar 6, 2013
Having enjoyed using the Nuvinci Harmony gears on the test ride but looking for front suspension forks and 28" wheels a decision was made which unfortunately involved even more cash (or at least 12 months interest free finance!) with the choice of Kalkhoff Impulse Ergo Nuvinci Harmony;

Kalkhoff Impulse Ergo NuVi Harmony 45cm TI 26"

I'll have to wait a couple of weeks or so but maybe the post purchase depression will have faded by then.

:eek:

JimB
Great bike. I'm sure that you will enjoy it immensely.

JimB

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2013
Derbyshire
Jim,

Just noticed the link you included above was for the small frame with 26" wheels (I think). I assume that you ordered the 28" model. Just checking.
Jonah, you sure know how to give us old codgers palpitations :eek:

Yes, I've checked the paperwork and we have ordered 50cm step-thru which has 28" wheels anyway and a 46cm step-thru with 28" wheels which Scott at 50 Cycles kindly put in a special order for.

I just picked the first link I found - for the spec and picture.

I'll certainly post my genuine impressions of the bike, including the target heart rate feature just as soon as it arrives and I've had a proper opportunity to assess it.

They'd better be good!

JimB