NuVinci Desktop Application download?

NZgeek

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2013
Whangarei, Northland, New Zealand
Thanks Triumph_st... that's the Harmony, which turns out to be different to the earlier Developer Kit (based on the N171) Cheers though!

However... I did get a reply from NuVinci themsleves (although too late to play with last night :() with the following links - might be helpfull to someone!

http://www.nuvinci.com/09_lev_kit.asp

http://www.nuvinci.com/09_LEV_specs.asp

https://www.dropbox.com/s/plx2kwdt93rbn76/1.0.2 Installer 2009-02-12 (Copy contents to CD).zip
https://www.dropbox.com/s/plx2kwdt93rbn76/1.0.2%20Installer%202009-02-12%20%28Copy%20contents%20to%20CD%29.zip

Arbol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2013
NZgeek, can you please give an opinion on the N171?

I have seen it is more robust than the newer N360, much more weight, and very cheap.

For which applications would you recommend it?

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
I'm confused - which nuvinci kit did you get? I thought you had the n360?:confused:

NZgeek

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2013
I've got the N360 in my Daily, and the N171 developer kit for my cargo biks (still in the making though!).

The software above is for the N171 based Developer kit.

So far, I haven't used the N171 at all, so can't make comment, other than it's heavy! Apparently the developer kits units have the full compliment of "balls", to handle more power, as they were likely to be used in powered applications.

My N360 only has my pedaling going though it, and it's brilliant. I have "interesting" terrain here, and the Nuvinci makes shifting and hillclimbing far easier.

Over the last 200 kms, it appears I've gained nearly 1km/h of average speed, which I can only assume is from better gearing/changes, as nothing much else on the bike was changed.

Because of the N360, I decided a developer kit would be great on a longtail cargo bike (even if just for the Geek factor:cool:), so I'll have a bafang crank drive, running through the Nuvinci to a 20" bike wheel, or maybe a 17" Moped wheel. Maybe.

Reactions: Arbol

Arbol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2013
Interesting, thanks, NZgeek.

It is (encouragingly) surprising that you have gained in average speed, when some people say that theoretically a N360 has losses vs a standard derrailleur.

Have you thought about a Carbon Gates belt for your N360? Apart from "no grease", which is a clear advantage of the belt (and its installation a disadvantage), I was wondering if a belt would be better, worse or equal than a chain, since it has been said crank motors "eat" chains. So, a belt (or a better chain) which could withstand a crank drive without breaking would be a step forward.

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
I've got the N360 in my Daily, and the N171 developer kit for my cargo biks (still in the making though!).

The software above is for the N171 based Developer kit.

So far, I haven't used the N171 at all, so can't make comment, other than it's heavy! Apparently the developer kits units have the full compliment of "balls", to handle more power, as they were likely to be used in powered applications.

My N360 only has my pedaling going though it, and it's brilliant. I have "interesting" terrain here, and the Nuvinci makes shifting and hillclimbing far easier.

Over the last 200 kms, it appears I've gained nearly 1km/h of average speed, which I can only assume is from better gearing/changes, as nothing much else on the bike was changed.

Because of the N360, I decided a developer kit would be great on a longtail cargo bike (even if just for the Geek factor:cool:), so I'll have a bafang crank drive, running through the Nuvinci to a 20" bike wheel, or maybe a 17" Moped wheel. Maybe.
Aah, I see. I've had an n360 on my bike for the last six months, and it's been brilliant. It's certainly not as mechanically efficient as derailleurs, but that is only an issue on very steep slopes (20% +) when riding unpowered. I've also kept my 3 ring front crank, which gives me more grunt on those steep slopes, whilst allowing 25mph at a manageable cadence on the flat. I also kept the derrailleur hanger to act as chain tensioner, so that I didn't need to shorten the chain, and can also drop the cassette wheel back in if I have problems with the nuvinci. Which so far I haven't!

Edit: Duh! 20 mph, not 25. - well, maybe with the wind behind me:oops:

Last edited:

NZgeek

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2013
I read a lot about the inefficiency too. I guess the thing is, the "correct" gear is always available. I certainnly find the hills easier, and change ratios a lot, because it's so easy to do. Over my commute of about 6.5 miles, the cumulative elevation is about 600 feet, nearly all of it in the last 1/3 of distance, and it's all up and down.

Apparently my N360 isn't gates belt compatible (I don't know what the difference is between those that are/aren't). It sounds like a cool idea though - I'd like something clean and longer lasting though! I don't know anything about the belts though. I think it the developer kit should allow me to run a heavy chain, which might help with gear wear. I'd have to fit an adapter to the crank drive, and that screws up the chain line a bit, but on a custom bike, I can fiddle that to my advantage during the build.

From memory, I've got the nuvinci geared from 29 to 103 gear inches (44 to 20 teeth, 26" wheels), great for the hills (even if the battery goes flat). Mines good to about 20MPH too.

If my Nuvinci had issues, I'd probably bu another one, or even another N171 developer kit, and maybe a replacement manual shifter for it. I really can't be arsed with a derailleur anymore.

The Nuvincis seem to get a bad reputation on forums, but a lot of the failures are related to powered setups too (even petrol engines!). I even saw someone posting about how they prefer a deraileur, because you can manually selct a gear to get you home.... after they saw a video of a Nuvinci with a broken freewheel... they seemed to have failed to click onto a freewheel failure ruining ANY chance of getting home, regardless of the type of gears you have!

Arbol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2013
Very basic question: the N171 developer kit has a black "thing" on the right of the wheel:

http://www.utahtrikes.com/PROD-11617994.html

Is this part of the N171, or is it part of the developer kit? What is that for, is an "auto shifting", similar to the N360 Harmony? I guess I should know the answer, but I do not.

NZgeek

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2013
Very basic question: the N171 developer kit has a black "thing" on the right of the wheel..
The developer kit is "auto" shifting, and that houses the motor that does the shifting.

You can fit the standard manual shifter to it instead. Apparently the Developer kit is heavier duty that the standard N171 was (Though I can't confirm it - it just hearsay really)

Arbol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2013
Ah, thanks. And is the standard manual shifter included in the Developer Kit? Or should it be bought separately?

Jef Ruts

Just Joined
Apr 29, 2015
Hi,
Where to find (download) the new program Nuvinci Harmony N360? Version 2.xxxxx incl update?
Thanks

s60sc

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 29, 2015
Long time lurker here.
You can download the latest Nuvinci Harmony N360 firmware from http://harmony.fallbrooktech.net/. There is a short form to fill in - what you enter is not checked. The installation file includes application and firmware. The new firmware is a significant improvement to that originally installed on my Kalkhoff, as I have not had to do a reset since.

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
It is probably obvious to some readers here, but just in case: where people offer links to software, treat them with utmost caution, and do not run software on your machine unless you absolutely know it is safe. That goes for links even from long-term posters, as they may be passing on malicious links accidentally.

The main site above (fallbrooktech.com) is just a holding page at a web host. Does the name "Fallbrook Tech" have anything to do with the Nuvinci brand, does anyone know?

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
It is probably obvious to some readers here, but just in case: where people offer links to software, treat them with utmost caution, and do not run software on your machine unless you absolutely know it is safe. That goes for links even from long-term posters, as they may be passing on malicious links accidentally.

The main site above (fallbrooktech.com) is just a holding page at a web host. Does the name "Fallbrook Tech" have anything to do with the Nuvinci brand, does anyone know?
Yes, Fallbrook make the NuVinci hub.