Obstructions on cycle paths

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Riding along a combined cycle/pedestrian path today in Swansea, I came to one of those constructions presumably intended to keep motor bikes off the path. Trouble was , there was a disabled person in one of those new pavement/road scooters which are quite big and heavy and he could not get through.
I imagine the same must happen to recumbents. Does this sort of construction appear in other parts of the country?

muckymits

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2011
Not sure if its still there, but there used to be a complete bitch of a one up at Consett. You had to lay the bike on the floor and drag it under the bars, is it still there Willin? Just after the crossroads on way up to Waskerley.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
We have two of those on the "Stop Gap Line " down here and they are a real nuisance if you have a front basket like me.
But what is worse....
Two years ago I too came across a disabled man who was returning from Chard to Ilminster after collecting his repaired mobility scooter and was totally stumped as he wasnt fit enough to go back and take the main road.
I had to help him contact his family.
The last two years they have kept unlocked the main gate that we have next to these bloody things but now I see they are locked again.
Time maybe for me to 'take up arms' with the council.

As for the one you have up there near Consett Dave.....hope its gone now......:p

Lynda :)

muckymits

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2011
This was brought up at a Rangers meeting a while back and Durham County Council had been asked to remove them on health and safety grounds but refused because of the motor bike problem, but our local police are very good they must have a nice collection of confiscated bikes now :D they dont show much mercy.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
There's quite a lot near me, all slightly different and varying awkwardness to get my panniers through.
They would be essential because motorbikes wreck the paths, trouble is motorbikes can get round them. :(

Willin'

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2011
Not sure if its still there, but there used to be a complete bitch of a one up at Consett. You had to lay the bike on the floor and drag it under the bars, is it still there Willin? Just after the crossroads on way up to Waskerley.
Well I haven't noticed anything like that and I have ridden pretty much all of the C2C route between Newcastle and Parkhead Station above Stanhope - which obviously includes the Waskerley Way and the Derwent Walk.

muckymits

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2011
Good they must of removed it, the easy way was to stand the bike on its back end and walk it through, but no good with mudguards or racks.

Those 9 inch boards on the floor worry me they are always on the down hills where they have taken a bridge out, if you hit that the bike will stay there and the rider ends up on the road.