Off-Road Panasonic Drive System Pedelec Recommendations

GORDONAL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2009
sunny Powys(Wales),Spain
Hi

Due to a change in location/lifestyle i am seriously contemplating an off road ped. any advice/ recommendations gratefully accepted.
Looked at the Emotion- already own a pair of their City bikes
BTW. Does anyone know of a p/ex sheme from the dealers(he says laughingly)

Alien off roader a possibility BUT would prefer a Panasonic drive again

Alan

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
I'm not sure the Panasonic system is suited to off road use. I think there may be issues with ground clearance and I can't recall a bike using it that has rear suspension. Also as the battery is coupled directly to the motor unit the stress on it and the mountings may be too much...from what I've seen for off road use the battery mounted in a rucksack is a much better option as it protects it from the knocks and bangs of off road riding....

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
While technically correct I was thinking of something a bit more rough than a smooth dirt track with jumps and ruts no worse than a Sustrans cycle route ;) :D

AndyOfTheSouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2009
What sort of off-road do you mean?

Have you tried your bikes on rough ground? Unless it is very difficult terrain, you might find it is just a matter of changing the tyres.

For what it's worth, I've always taken all my bikes off road, including Bromptons :eek:

Over very rough or muddy ground, 26" (or 28") wheels and chunkier tyres are needed. Front suspension is desirable, but not essential.

If you really want to change bike and get something hardcore, then Steve Punchard of electricmountainbikes.com is your man.

Happy off roading!

Last edited:

Lloyd

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2010
This is my off-road Panasonic steed. A Raleigh Leeds Tour with a few mods

The rack and mudguards are now off in preperation for the annual French Alps Pilgrimage. The front forks are waaaaay too big for the frame geometry, but boy does it handle some serious off road.

I've not had a single reliability issue yet, despite my best efforts to break it.

Attachments

AndyOfTheSouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2009
It would be interesting to hear of some of your off-roading, Lloyd. :)

Looking at pictures of the now discontinued E-Motion City 650 and the current E-Motion Off Road 650, the frames look the same. I wonder if they differ only in the added components.

If so, you could simply try out the City 650 on rough ground. If it needs upgrading, that's then the way to go.

Pourquoi non, mes amis?

GORDONAL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2009
sunny Powys(Wales),Spain
Thanks

Super replies - i will try the moddin' route starting with "chunky" tyres/wheels.
Any suggestions for tyres/wheels?
Alan

AndyOfTheSouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2009
Before doing any modifying, see how you get on with your existing set up.

If it is not giving enough grip, that's the time to change the tyres.

If you are on a mixture of trails but nothing too rough or muddy, then a Marathon type tyre might do nicely.

If not, then something bigger (eg 26 by 2") and with a more aggressive tread would be appropriate.

You could replace your existing tyres or get another set of wheels in order to swop them over when you feel like it.

If you've got a good local bike shop, a basic front wheel only £20/£30. The rear wheel costs more because you'd add a cassette to it. But even so, it's only something like £40/£50.

With this arrangement, you don't have to have the less efficient knobblies on road trips or the slicker road tyres on muddy tracks.

:)