Off Road vs Road Tyres

bom

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 24, 2019
Hi all!

I have a Woosh Rio electric MTB which I only really use on the London roads. It currently has what I would class as mountain bike tyres.

6456C906-D894-4647-8AF5-CC8C9CDCDF18.jpeg

I’m considering putting on some road/hybrid tyres like the Marathon Tour 26 in 2” to increase mileage and decrease road resistance.

Do you think it will have a noticeable impact on performance, or will I only feel the bumps more?

Would love your feedback!

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
I did the opposite - changed my 1" smooth road tyres for 1.75" grippy tyres and it made a huge difference for my rides on rough surfaces. Road tyres are better on roads and mountain bike tyres are better on rough ground.

Reactions: bom

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Schwalbe G ones are a good multi-purpose tyre.

Reactions: bom

bom

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 24, 2019
Thanks for all your responses guys.

I did a bit of research into the Kenda tyres I have at the moment. It looks like they are the K892 model which are similar to the double fighters Tarka mentioned above. Designed for MTBs that are mainly used on the road. I think if they were "proper" MTB tyres the rolling resistance between them and a road tyre might be much more substantial.

I think I will eventually go for one of the Schwalbe tyres recommended above, but for now I'm going to stick with the comfort of the larger tyres and get another 500 miles under my ... saddle.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Planet X have had some 2.2" Big Apple tyres in 26" on sale for a while £8 I think.
A no brainer. Faster running and no loss of comfort (probably a lot better than what you currently have to be honest).

You'll have to live with brown, but its kind of trendy at the moment anyway.

Reactions: peter.c

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
I agree big apples fast rolling will be less tyre roar than what you have now also will still absorb as fat tyre side walls