Oh-oh, my first puncture!!!

Ratzakli

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 14, 2010
I have been trying out my new Cyclamatic Power Plus for the last few days and it has been quite good fun - until this afternoon that is, when I managed to come face-to-face with a small but very deep pothole! :eek:

I spotted it at the last moment and just managed to lift the front tyre over it but, of course, the back tyre hit it with a heavy thud and immediately burst the inner tube. I pushed it the last 3 miles home and I'm having a bit of a sit down now before I go down to Halfords to get a new tube. :eek:

Of course, it would have been a relatively simple job to change the front tube but, I guess, it will be an early lesson about how to change the one with the gears on it. :(

I suppose these things are sent to try us!! :rolleyes:

Ratzakli

Ratzakli

May 14, 2010
HELP!!!!! :eek:

I have just checked out the paperwork that came with the bike and there is no information at all about how to detatch the drive motor and gears to get to the rear wheel! :mad:

I am usually fairly able with basic mechanical things but I'm a total novice with electric bikes so I'm a bit wary about just diving in and "having a go" in case I do some damage. :(

Is it fairly straightforward or should I watch out for anything in particular? :confused:

Thanks

Ratzakli

C

Cyclezee

Do not despair Ratzakli, someone will come to your rescue before long;)

If you can remove the rear wheel of a non electric bike, then what you need to do first is remove the battery for safety and find where the power cable connector is between the controller and the motor, then if you feel happy to, disconnect it and remove the wheel.
It is possible on some bikes to remove the wheel just enough to carry out a repair with out disconnecting the power lead.

J:) hn

Last edited by a moderator:

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Might be worth thinking about a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres.

I can personally vouch for their effectiveness against punctures as can many others here.

Ratzakli

May 14, 2010
Might be worth thinking about a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres.
When it happened, I did think about possibly changing the tyres as well because the ones it came with look like they wouldn't stand up to a lot of punishment - as I have now found out! And with the roads in the state they are in after the crappy winter we've just had, I can see that this might be a problem for some time to come.

Unfortunately, I'll have to make do with a new tube until the end of the month and then have a look at something a bit more robust.

I know they say that you get what you pay for but, other than this little mishap, it seems to be a good little runner.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Welcome to the world of pain in the arse to change the rear tube/tyre :mad:
This is how i did it.
Loosen off both hub nuts.
Then remove the bracket that secures the servo brake to the frame and also detach the brake operating cable.
Then, with a bit of jiggling about, you can lift the wheel out of the frame enough the insert your new tyre/tube.
Go in from the servo side, not the gears side!!!
You don't need to detach the motor connector, which is good as it's shrink wrapped.
Big tip: Buy a pair of Scwalbe Marathon Plus tyres and fit as soon as you can.
It's well worth the hour or two of hassle to fit them in the long run.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
or at least one M+ for the back wheel if funds tight:)

Ratzakli

May 14, 2010
Thanks to everyone for your comments - especially Fordulike for the instructions about fitting the new tube.

I have just done a quick google for the Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres and they don't seem as expensive as I thought they might be - you can get them for £23 each (inc p&p) on e-bay so I guess I can manage to order a couple! :)

First though, I'm going to try changing the tube to see if I can manage that.

Then it's a nice lie down in the garden under the shade with a cold can of cider!! :D

Cheers!!

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

I have just done a quick google for the Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres and they don't seem as expensive as I thought they might be - you can get them for £23 each (inc p&p) on e-bay so I guess I can manage to order a couple! :)
M+ are a sound investment and give peace of mind. Continental do a very similar range of tyres every bit as good as Schwalbe. You can usually find them a bit cheaper than M+'s
Continental Cycle Tyres UK see here Continental Touring Plus 1.75 26" MTB Tyre 26 x 1.75 / Puncture Protection • UK Free delivery

Last edited by a moderator:

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
Not if you just want one tyre though Colin, then it's M+ £5 for delivery. Less is more;)

Yes indeed - I only put the link there when I saw this:
The extra £6 saved will pay for a decent inner-tube.

Colin

Ratzakli

May 14, 2010
I am deliriously pleased to be able to report that Ithink I have actually managed it and - thanks to Fordulike's excellent instructions - the bike seems to be as good as new again!!! :cool:

Now I can confess that this is the first time I have ever attempted to change a bike tyre and, when it happened, I was bricking it (to coin a phrase).

I definitely don't want to have to do that again too many times so I will certainly be sticking an order in for the Schwalbes this afternoon. Thanks to Colin for the links about the best websites to order them. :)

I have just snapped the tab on my first can of Strongbow (30 cans for £16 at Tesco so I grabbed them quick before they start getting all ethical about alcohol pricing!!) and I am drinking to your health.

I think I'm going to enjoy being part of this forum. :D

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
Well done. :)
Be warned: Marathon Plus tyres are not easy to put on a wheel. Because of their strength they tend to be stiff and not very pliable. Leave yourself plenty of time for the job and don't drink 30 cans of Strongbow before you start.;)

Colin

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
I have been trying out my new Cyclamatic Power Plus for the last few days and it has been quite good fun - until this afternoon that is, when I managed to come face-to-face with a small but very deep pothole! :eek:

I spotted it at the last moment and just managed to lift the front tyre over it but, of course, the back tyre hit it with a heavy thud and immediately burst the inner tube. I pushed it the last 3 miles home and I'm having a bit of a sit down now before I go down to Halfords to get a new tube. :eek:

Of course, it would have been a relatively simple job to change the front tube but, I guess, it will be an early lesson about how to change the one with the gears on it. :(

I suppose these things are sent to try us!! :rolleyes:

Ratzakli
If you have the later plus bike then just remove the shrink wrap from the joint and remove the wheel like any other bike wheel. Wrap some self amalgamating tape around the joint when done.
BTw the Marathon plus tyres are a breeze to fit, just make sure as you get near the last section with the wheel standing up and the last section at the top then make sure that the bottom bit of the tyre( the bit already in place) is in the centre of the rim which then gives you more free play at the top.

Ratzakli

May 14, 2010
If you have the later plus bike then just remove the shrink wrap from the joint and remove the wheel like any other bike wheel. Wrap some self amalgamating tape around the joint when done.
BTw the Marathon plus tyres are a breeze to fit, just make sure as you get near the last section with the wheel standing up and the last section at the top then make sure that the bottom bit of the tyre( the bit already in place) is in the centre of the rim which then gives you more free play at the top.
Thanks very much for the tips Old Timer. :)

I ordered the tyres last night so they should be here this week sometime - I'll let you know how I get on. I'll start on the front whell first to give myself a bit more of a fighting chance before I try tackling the back one!! ;)

Tex

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2009
Sydney, Australia