Oh-oh, my first puncture!!!

Bob_about

Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2009
Warks/Glos Border
Inner tube selection & pressures

....... until this afternoon that is, when I managed to come face-to-face with a small but very deep pothole! :eek:

I spotted it at the last moment and just managed to lift the front tyre over it but, of course, the back tyre hit it with a heavy thud and immediately burst the inner tube.
Ratzakli
Excellent that there then follows some very helpful advice for Ratzakli and others on how to remove the wheel to replace the tube, which it sounds like has done the trick - fantastic

Also follows a number of recommendations for Marathon Plus tyres - also good, probably (and I have the re-assuring glow having them supplied as a standard item on my bike), but would M+ Tyres have prevented this?

Ratzakli did not get a thorn, he hit a small but deep pot hole which caused the inner tube to burst. Are we saying that the extra rigidity of an M+ (or similar) tyre will also help prevent inner tubes bursting? If so, double warm feeling cos I cannot avoid hitting some potholes myself everyday - especially when the choice is pothole or front grill of bus/truck! But isnt there also something here about the quality of the inner tube and the tyre pressures?

I dont know what inner tubes Ratzakli had, or what ones my bike has as I have never seen them, but I generally keep them pumped to 60psi, front and back, which gives minimal rolling resistance and I can just about cope with the rattles and bumps.

Am I more or less likely to have an inner tube burst after an angry pothole with higher or lower pressures, and if I do need a new tube - which ones are least prone to bursting?

Just curiuous that an inner tube bursting leads to recommendations for M+ tyres. (The benifits regarding thorns, glass etc I obviously understand as well as the idea that if you are taking a wheel off, then thats the time to change a tyre if you are going to do so)

All the best

Bob_about

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Excellent that there then follows some very helpful advice for Ratzakli and others on how to remove the wheel to replace the tube, which it sounds like has done the trick - fantastic

Also follows a number of recommendations for Marathon Plus tyres - also good, probably (and I have the re-assuring glow having them supplied as a standard item on my bike), but would M+ Tyres have prevented this?

Ratzakli did not get a thorn, he hit a small but deep pot hole which caused the inner tube to burst. Are we saying that the extra rigidity of an M+ (or similar) tyre will also help prevent inner tubes bursting? If so, double warm feeling cos I cannot avoid hitting some potholes myself everyday - especially when the choice is pothole or front grill of bus/truck! But isnt there also something here about the quality of the inner tube and the tyre pressures?

I dont know what inner tubes Ratzakli had, or what ones my bike has as I have never seen them, but I generally keep them pumped to 60psi, front and back, which gives minimal rolling resistance and I can just about cope with the rattles and bumps.

Am I more or less likely to have an inner tube burst after an angry pothole with higher or lower pressures, and if I do need a new tube - which ones are least prone to bursting?

Just curiuous that an inner tube bursting leads to recommendations for M+ tyres. (The benifits regarding thorns, glass etc I obviously understand as well as the idea that if you are taking a wheel off, then thats the time to change a tyre if you are going to do so)

All the best

Bob_about
Very good point and there are other reasons for burst tyres, especially from potholes. My guess is that the tyre pressure was too low and the inner tube was cut by the tyre pushing it against the rim, alternatively it could have been down to a weak rim tape.
The tyre type could have helped if it had a stiffer sidewall but it's no substitute for having enough air pressure.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009

All the best

Bob_about
Probably the tyres were a bit under pressure. The reason for aiming him at Marathons was more of a preventative measure to cut down on the amount of times he has to remove the tyres for punctures in the future. The Marathons might just have tipped the balance anyway as they are thicker at the crown.

Ratzakli

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 14, 2010
Me again.

The information that came with the bike said to keep the pressures at 65psi and I did check them before I set off to make sure they were OK.

When I checked the tube after I had changed it, I found two almost identical little slits in it that were side by side and I had wondered how that had happened - so Mussels' comment about the main damage being done when they were forced against the rim now makes perfect sense.

Live and learn, eh? :)

I guess you can never prevent all accidents and maybe the M+ tyres wouldn't have saved the tube if I had had them at the time but I guess they might have given me a fighting chance so I'll probably be thankful in the long run that I was pointed in that direction.

Ratzakli

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Me again.

The information that came with the bike said to keep the pressures at 65psi and I did check them before I set off to make sure they were OK.

When I checked the tube after I had changed it, I found two almost identical little slits in it that were side by side and I had wondered how that had happened - so Mussels' comment about the main damage being done when they were forced against the rim now makes perfect sense.

Live and learn, eh? :)

I guess you can never prevent all accidents and maybe the M+ tyres wouldn't have saved the tube if I had had them at the time but I guess they might have given me a fighting chance so I'll probably be thankful in the long run that I was pointed in that direction.

Ratzakli
65psi should be more than enough to stop snakebite punctures so it's possible that was secondary damage, were there any other holes in it (particularly on the inside)?

Ratzakli

May 14, 2010
snakebite punctures
"Snakebite punctures" - it's almost worth having a puncture to learn that phrase!! :cool:

Not sure about any other damage. After I found the initial two little slits, I didn't check any further.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
"Snakebite punctures" - it's almost worth having a puncture to learn that phrase!! :cool:

Not sure about any other damage. After I found the initial two little slits, I didn't check any further.
If it happens again then check the rim tape is covering the spoke holes with a bit to spare and that it's stronger than a weak elastic band, that has been one of my puncture issues in the past.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
You obviously haven't heard of the ' moonbeam sonic bike pump ' and ' quasi linear titanium tube patches ' either :D

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
Well thanks for the link, I've just ordered a set of M+ tyres now for my wifes Ezee. Punctures the last two times out!:(

Ratzakli

May 14, 2010
Just thought I would update you on the puncture saga!

The Schwalbe M+ tyres arrived on Tuesday morning but I kept imagining that I would just end up with a pile of gear cogs and drive motor pieces on the garage floor so I put off the dreaded moment of trying to fit them until Thursday! :eek:

Anyway, I eventually managed to find some backbone and, fortified by a new set of tyre levers, I got to work and to my astonishment, I actually found it surprisingly easy. In fact, I don't know what all the panicking was for!!! :eek:

I let down the inner tubes and the old tyres slipped off quite easily. The front wheel was quite straightforward but I took my time over the rear one. I first undid the brake cable and drive motor, then loosened the hub nuts and eased the whell out just enough to slide the old tyre off. Being careful not to joggle the wheel about too much, I slipped on the new tyre and carefully replaced the wheel, retightened the nuts and reconnected the brake and drive motor.

Afetr that, it was just a relatively simple matter of pushing and pulling the new tyres onto the rims - although I did find it useful to have the inner tubes slightly inflated while I was doing that to make sure I could avoid pinching against the rim with the tyre levers.

Altoghether, it took me around an hour from start to finish which, for a complete novice, I thought was pretty reasonable. :)

Of course, it wouldn't have been anything like as straightforward without the advice I found on here so many thanks for all your contributions. :D

Ratzakli