Ongoing reliability of Kalkhoff/Focus Impulse 2 motors

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
id ask for my money back if it was me there not fit for purpose and there is more than enough proof of this on here.

you will have endless motor problems replacements and the resale of the bike will be a big loss.

• Agree
Reactions: Live_Steam_Mad

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
i would not touch kalkhoff with a proverbial barge pole
You could be right at the moment but it hasn't always been the case. I know of a 4 year old Endeavour speed with original battery which has the Panasonic torque drive system ( I think ) and never has had a problem, it has now passed 14k miles.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You could be right at the moment but it hasn't always been the case. I know of a 4 year old Endeavour speed with original battery which has the Panasonic torque drive system ( I think ) and never has had a problem, it has now passed 14k miles.
I agree, I regard the Kalkhoff bikes as some of the best when they had the Panasonic drive units. It was just the adoption of the Daum unit, renamed as Impulse that was the evolving disaster that scuppered their reputation, plus their slow reaction when that occurred.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
The latest Kalkhoff Agattu bikes are now using Bosch Performance Drive. I suspect it is reliability issues of Impulse drive that drove the change, because they wasn't enough difference in performance between drives to justify change. Plus battery integration was better with Impulse.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
The latest Kalkhoff Agattu bikes are now using Bosch Performance Drive. I suspect it is reliability issues of Impulse drive that drove the change, because they wasn't enough difference in performance between drives to justify change. Plus battery integration was better with Impulse.
The new Kalkhoff pro connect B10 and B9 2017 models also use the Bosch motor.

RogL

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 27, 2017
Sussex UK
id ask for my money back if it was me there not fit for purpose and there is more than enough proof of this on here.

you will have endless motor problems replacements and the resale of the bike will be a big loss.

You've read my mind - having been thro the threads on this and other sites I'm composing the email now to 50 Cycles and about to phone. Wish me luck.

Rog

• Informative

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
Such a shame that Kalkhoff decided to ditch the Panasonic motor and decide to build their own through Daum in the pursuit of greater profit.A ruined reputation that will take a lot of work to regain consumer confidence.
I have owned the Panasonic and impulse so i have experience of the good and the bad.

D

Deleted member 4366

Such a shame that Kalkhoff decided to ditch the Panasonic motor and decide to build their own through Daum in the pursuit of greater profit.A ruined reputation that will take a lot of work to regain consumer confidence.
I have owned the Panasonic and impulse so i have experience of the good and the bad.
That's true. Didn't Panasonic produce a 36v version of their motor at about the same time Kalkhoff switched to Daum? I think it was used on some BH Emotions then seemed to fizzle out - or did I get that wrong?

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
That's true. Didn't Panasonic produce a 36v version of their motor at about the same time Kalkhoff switched to Daum? I think it was used on some BH Emotions then seemed to fizzle out - or did I get that wrong?
The Swiss Flyer bikes still use Panasonic motors but the design looks nothing like the older motors.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's correct, in fact they produced two 36 volt units, the second more compact. You probably remember the 36 volt version had a dongle available from Martin at e-bikeshop.

Here's a photo of part of a BH emotion 36 volt Panasonic unit bike using the speed sensing magnet alternative dodge for higher speeds.

But there had been comment that the Panasonic units were getting too expensive for the European bike makers. I don't know if that was true, but think the home grown Bosch etc availability for German and Dutch bike makers killed Panasonic's chances in this market.

Last edited:

50cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2006
Bali, Indonesia
Hi Rog,

Sorry to hear of your experience with your Focus bike if you could please email me with your order number or case number I will look in to the matter for you as I am out of the office for the next few days and will be easier for me to pinpoint your order and product article number.

I am guessing if you bought in March 2016 it was before we was aware of a poor batch of Impulse 2.0 motors was known to us. I am guessing you have a 2014/15 model as we did not carry the brand in 2016.

There have been huge improvements with the latest motors and I will make sure you get the latest Impulse 2.2 motor.

My email is scott@50cycles.com and I will be happy to get you back on those hills asap.

Best regards

Scott

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Great response from Scott what more to ask.

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
When i bought my Focus jarifa from Austria in 2015 it was only to save money and I had a great regret when the motor broke down after six months.The Austrian dealer didn't want to know but 50 cycles said they would help me out with a new motor.What other dealer would do that in the uk ,probably none.

Reactions: Crockers and flecc

Oscdav

Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2014
This is a big step in getting 50cycles reputation back where it deserves to be.

50cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2006
Bali, Indonesia
and if that then fails you should give him a full refund or a different bike.

http://www.pedelecforum.de/forum/index.php?threads/impulse-2-0-knacken-des-motors.36094/

Desierto24 , 14.03.14
Dear Soundwave, you are back with Devotion from the other side of fashionville

The answer is in the many posts you sabotage.

He will receive a replacment motor fitted free of charge served with a cup of tea and a smile firstly.

I am sure a solution can be found always, unless dealing with a masked raider with arms that looks like little legs.

You can be rest assured as with all our customers Rog is dealing with the best electric bike team in the business.

regards

Scott

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014

RogL

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 27, 2017
Sussex UK
Hi Rog,

Sorry to hear of your experience with your Focus bike if you could please email me with your order number or case number I will look in to the matter for you as I am out of the office for the next few days and will be easier for me to pinpoint your order and product article number.

I am guessing if you bought in March 2016 it was before we was aware of a poor batch of Impulse 2.0 motors was known to us. I am guessing you have a 2014/15 model as we did not carry the brand in 2016.

There have been huge improvements with the latest motors and I will make sure you get the latest Impulse 2.2 motor.

My email is scott@50cycles.com and I will be happy to get you back on those hills asap.

Best regards

Scott

Hi Scott. I assume you work for 50 Cycles? Thanks for the response. First, I wasn't aware it was a 2015 model, not that that changes much..

This motor was fitted only a couple of weeks ago. I was told it's the latest upgrade and came direct from Germany. The motor isn't the problem at the moment (tho it is the 3rd fitted since I took delivery of the bike in March '16).

The main problems are from time to time:-
SPEED appears at random on the head unit and the bike then either loses power altogether or surges on gear changes and then loses power before the next gear change and won't toggle between modes.
The head unit shows 0 MPH, as if it's ready to go, but then doesn't record speed or distance and though it appears to toggle between modes has no drive.
A variant on this is the gradual loss of power till you end up pedalling a VERY heavy MTB but with no sign of problems on the head unit...
Then it self cures and carries on as if it's all Ok :(:(:(

If I were fixin the flippin thing I'd be looking at the interface between the battery and the motor - just saying...

I am told by 50 Cycles, Shoreham, and have no reason to think this isn't true, that they changed the speed and gear sensors and the motor when it was in a couple of weeks ago....but the problems have returned...!

I have asked for my money back but am being told that Joseph Kneip, something to do with marketing, has said the bike has to be returned to Germany - for reeducation, a short holiday? Tried to email Mr Kneip but got a bad gateway on customerservice@50cycles.com

50 C need to bear in mind I bought this on interest free @£170.41/month. I have not been able to use the bike properly, if at all, since early December...As it would be in Germany for say 3/4 weeks I reckon I'd then be owed 3x170.41 (I was away in Feb) for loss of use and paying for an item that wasn't usable for its primary purpose...

Rog
Great response from Scott what more to ask.
My money back!

• Informative
Reactions: Live_Steam_Mad
D

Deleted member 4366

xc f
I am told by 50 Cycles, Shoreham, and have no reason to think this isn't true, that they changed the speed and gear sensors and the motor when it was in a couple of weeks ago....but the problems have returned...!
You can be rest assured as with all our customers Rog is dealing with the best electric bike team in the business.
Hmmm! Doesn't quite match unless you mean that they're good at soldering.