Ongoing reliability of Kalkhoff/Focus Impulse 2 motors

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Continued warranty on the old one? Or a brand new warranty period, to go with the brand new motor?
They are just following the usual practice of the original warranty, so that expires two years after the bike purchase. This is normal practice in all areas of commerce since the waranty is only an indemnity at the time of purchase.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
In the automotive world,the following is the norm....All Volkswagen Original replacement parts carry a parts warranty for a period of 2 years/unlimited mileage, from the date of purchase. Items with warranties in excess of 2 years will be advised to you at the time of purchase. The 2 year parts warranty does not apply to parts fitted under the terms of the vehicle warranty, which are warranted for the remaining period of the vehicle warranty.

In other words,if a part is fitted under warranty,then only the original 2 years warranty applies. But if you pay for a new part to be fitted then a new warranty is created,but only on that part.

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
In the automotive world,the following is the norm....All Volkswagen Original replacement parts carry a parts warranty for a period of 2 years/unlimited mileage, from the date of purchase. Items with warranties in excess of 2 years will be advised to you at the time of purchase. The 2 year parts warranty does not apply to parts fitted under the terms of the vehicle warranty, which are warranted for the remaining period of the vehicle warranty.

In other words,if a part is fitted under warranty,then only the original 2 years warranty applies. But if you pay for a new part to be fitted then a new warranty is created,but only on that part.
This is spot on...it's why when my turbo on my Mercedes went under warranty....albeit towards the end of the manufacturers warranty the garage advised me to pay a £10 contribution then I got the parts 2 year warranty.

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
They are just following the usual practice of the original warranty, so that expires two years after the bike purchase. This is normal practice in all areas of commerce since the waranty is only an indemnity at the time of purchase.
Yep, this exactly.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
Same with the motorbikes, if we replace a part under warranty it's only covered for the remainder of the original bike warranty which is started from time of purchase.

Saying that we've had 5 year old bikes back in for fuel pump recalls, parts and labour both paid for by Piaggio.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Tomtomato

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
The previous thread about clacking noises has been closed by the mods, for unknown reasons, and without advising me.

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/clacking-noise-kalkhoff-impulse-2-motor.22024/page-24

However, you can always post to this thread instead...

To summarise:

* Some Impulse 2 motors start developing a clacking/clicking noise, sometimes at low mileage
* It's usually an indication that the motor starts failing, and won't go away until the motor is replaced
* the problem can specifically start happening when maximum assistance/torque is applied (e.g. cyclist pedaling hard, on a slope, with maximum assistance selected)
* It can also apparently happen when the crank or pedals are knocked
* Kalkhoff have done some software updates to the motor, to reduce torque and prevent the issue from happening. Some people have also reported some new behaviours, like the motor pausing after bumps
* However, once clacking/clicking occurs, it's probably too late to stop a fault from occurring
* Kalkhoff however haven't resolved the design issues of the Impulse motor (gears, bearings) and sensors, so replacement motors may suffer the same issue again
* After some pressure from some buyers, 50 Cycles will now provide a 2 year warranty on replaced motors (so if a motor is replaced, the new Impulse II motor gets a 2 year warranty)

Last edited:

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Tom
Your last point isn't specifically correct. The manufacturer has agreed the warrant extension not 50cycles. That's in fact very important as it indicates the manufacturers are admitting the motors are not fit for purpose.

• Agree
Reactions: tillson

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
My bike is now back with 50Cycles again... hoping to collect it later today.

I was having more unusual 'clank' noises and vibration through the left pedal. The guy in 50Cycles think the motor is fine, and that the problem is a mixture of:

Worn out cassette. He asked if I cycle in the higher gears. I told him I cycle primarily in gears 5-9 and rarely use gears 1-4, as 1-4 propel you to about 5mph and aren't really suitable for anything but the steepest climbs. He told me I should use the higher gears more. Uhm... ok. Bike's 10 months old and I still wouldn't expect the cassette to wear out that fast.

'Click'/'Clank' from left pedal is apparently also caused by worn bearing in left pedal. I'm assuming they should fix this for me.

If both are fixed and it resolves the problem, great. Lets see if that's the case...

My hunch is still motor.

D

Deleted member 4366

Let us know how much they charge you for those things and whether it fixes the problem.

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
There is now a different software being used in replacement motors and it makes them sluggish and less responsive plus the motor cuts out on harsh bumps.
My first motor change eight months ago performed super but broke down after four months use.The second motor with the new software felt awful from day one so i sold it as i`d had enough.

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
50Cycles fitted some new pedals and advised me to get a new chain and cassette... so I've now ordered those, and will fit them over the next week.

The pedals have made zero difference unfortunately.

I've gone for:

Shimano HG80 9 Speed Cassette Grey 11-34T x1 £26.99

KMC X9-L Silver 9 Speed Chain Grey 9 Speed 116 Links x1 £16.99

...so good quality for both. Expecting this to fix my problems. If it doesn't... back to the store it'll go, and I'll have to start thinking about asking for an exchange or refund.

Tomtomato

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
Tom
Your last point isn't specifically correct. The manufacturer has agreed the warrant extension not 50cycles. That's in fact very important as it indicates the manufacturers are admitting the motors are not fit for purpose.
Not sure you are correct either.

Apart from a post on this forum by 50 Cycles stating that they negotiated some agreement with Kalkhoff/Derby Cycles, I have seen not evidences elsewhere that the manufacturer is extending warranty on its motors.

Also, under UK consumer laws, the retailer is responsible anyway for providing goods of quality and fit for purpose for several years, so what Derby cycle is providing is not that relevant to end customers.

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
Not sure you are correct either.

Apart from a post on this forum by 50 Cycles stating that they negotiated some agreement with Kalkhoff/Derby Cycles, I have seen not evidences elsewhere that the manufacturer is extending warranty on its motors.

Also, under UK consumer laws, the retailer is responsible anyway for providing goods of quality and fit for purpose for several years, so what Derby cycle is providing is not that relevant to end customers.
Not sure if this is the same thing, but this has been mentioned on the other thread....

1. Derby Cycle improves its services further and makes it to its customers even easier and faster - and with warranty! Therefore Derby Cycle offers from 9.1.2016 a simplified complaint processing to. Repair service within the warranty Once a complaint because of an Impulse engine failure at Derby Cycle arrives, will be shipped from there within one working day departing from Cloppenburg a very good replacement engine to the dealer. If the engine has been running less than 200 km, in any case, a new engine to the dealer will be shipped. Attention new: On this Impulse Austauschmotor Derby Cycle are independent of the warranty 2 years warranty. Repair service out of warranty and guarantee for Impulse engine damage outside the warranty will also be sent in a message impulse replacement engine within one day to the dealer. The original motor must but back to the dealer and will be picked up from there. If you are replacing an impetus 1 engine after the warranty period, 2.0 engine incl. Speed sensor is sent to the dealer for this a very good momentum.In addition, you can now also an outdated PRO service engine without engine swap. the cost: service within the warranty: free replacement of the engine out of warranty 349 € buying a service engine 449 € . we offer this service from now on course for bikes that were not purchased from us. If interested a PN

2. Will Tinker

Interesting... where did you find this?

#455Will Tinker, Jul 29, 2016

3. soundwave

its google translator not me lol

4. soundwave

its on the German site and like i said b4 derby cycles do not make the motor daum electric do and thats where ulli from pcg sends them to get fixed.

and after there back there is no where near the amount of problems that you get with 50 cycles.

just seems odd to me are 50c just fixing them with parts or what?

http://www.daum-electronic.de/

http://www.pro-cycling-golla.de/

http://www.pedelecforum.de/forum/index.php?threads/neuer-service-für-impulse-i-und-ii-motore.42226/

Ted B.

Pedelecer
May 28, 2016
Guildford
Given the weird translation, it's difficult to determine what this actually means, but it does not sound like Derby Cycles are providing a warranty extension when a motor is replaced.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Given the weird translation, it's difficult to determine what this actually means, but it does not sound like Derby Cycles are providing a warranty extension when a motor is replaced.
This post from 50cycles says it is a Derby Cycles extension of warranty.

I don't take much notice of their claim that they negotiated it, Derby Cycles wouldn't agree such a thing solely for the small UK minority market. Given the much larger scale of this problem in Germany and the Netherlands, the two year warranty will be at least Europe wide and decided by Daum and Derby Cycles.

Biscitt

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2015
I thought I had already posted a follow up on the issues I reported re clanking on my Kalkhoff but I can't find the post so here is what happened.

The motor was replaced for me at Blazing Saddles (excellent bike shop in Hebden Bridge) but the clanking was still present. After much discussion between the bike shop, 50Cycles and me focus was changed to the Shimano hub gears and the rear wheel was sent back to Shimano and rebuilt. No more clanking! So if others are experiencing the same issue maybe the gears should be investigated.

All the work was done under warranty, the bike was less than a year old, and so thank you 50Cycles and in particular Blazing Saddles who were brilliant in pursuing the issue on my behalf can't recommend them enough.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
After much discussion between the bike shop, 50Cycles and me focus was changed to the Shimano hub gears and the rear wheel was sent back to Shimano and rebuilt. No more clanking! So if others are experiencing the same issue maybe the gears should be investigated.
I've had the nasty crack/clacking sound too, I stripped, cleaned and greased my Nexus 8 hub that had done around 7,000 miles and that cured the issue.