Ongoing reliability of Kalkhoff/Focus Impulse 2 motors

Tigergreen

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 25, 2016
Plymouth
i bought my bike of ebay so never had any warranty with it but over that time i have had 3 chains 2 sets of peddles via crashes 3 new tyres and 6-7 sets of brake pads.

lost 1 pivot bolt 25 quid and had a xd hub replaced buy crank brothers as had 2 year warranty stamped on it.

had to bleed my dropper post 2 times but now need a service and was bought dec 2014.
View attachment 16316
Sound wave,
Sorry to go off topic, but what work stand is that in your pic?
Does it cope with the weight of the bike ok?
I've been thinking of putting one on my Christmas prezzie list from the missus and saw this one which looks very similar
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BICYCLE-REPAIR-WORK-STAND-HOME-CYCLE-BIKE-MECHANICS-MOUNTAIN-ROAD-PROFESSIONAL-/261011227165
Says it can handle 30kg, has good reviews and at less than £30 all in seems a good deal.
Andy.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Hub motors should last 40,000 miles. Bazwaldo did 26,500 miles on his without problems. I think he has the highest reported mileage. Awol has done 13,500 on his. Mine's done 4000.
I don't see any posts showing motor internals on the forum these days like there used to be a few years ago, is this the reason, because they no longer break?

Do motors like in the one on the Cytronex still use those roller drive motors that freewheel really well?

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
A rack battery can help on slippery paths, putting more weight over the rear wheel adds to rear wheel traction.

All the best, David
On my Cyclamatic (rear hub and central battery) the weight on the rear was just too heavy for uphill slightly slippery paths and this one had a throttle. This is why I want a walk assist. On roads it just about worked. I was surprised at the amount of times I had stop for all sorts of traffic on inclines, often in the wrong gear.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
How many miles can I expect the motor to last?
From memory, my old Panasonic powered Kalkhoff did about 10 -12 thousand miles before the first motor failed. I bought another motor and the bike has done about 25 thousand in total. The Alfine hub gear us the original and is still as smooth as silk. The original 10 Ah battery lasted for about the same mileage / 5 years. In fact, that battery is now over 8 years old and it still has about 10 mile range in it! I don't use the electric bike much these days though, I've gone over to the dark side and use a road bike now.

If you are thinking of buying an electric bike, you should really consider a second hand Panasonic powered Kalkhoff. They are very reliable and will climb extremely well.

If ever the phrase, "they don't make them like they used to" was appropriate, it is in the case of ebikes. Some of these newer models are rubbish.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Sorry to go off topic, but what work stand is that in your pic?
yes its the same one in the link and was 20 quid off ebay.

Ted B.

Pedelecer
May 28, 2016
Guildford
I don't see any posts showing motor internals on the forum these days like there used to be a few years ago, is this the reason, because they no longer break?
Those motors are non-serviceable units, they can't be repaired so have to be replaced entirely by the manufacturer.

Therefore, not many owners are going to open them and show the internals...

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Those motors are non-serviceable units, they can't be repaired so have to be replaced entirely by the manufacturer.

Therefore, not many owners are going to open them and show the internals...
Thanks for that. My post was in reply to d8veh's about the hub motors. Of course the thread isn't about those, hence the confusion perhaps.

D

Deleted member 4366

Years ago, we used to see internal gear failure and hall sensor failure. Now, they're both unlikely. There's been a couple of bearing failures recently.

The manufacturers have improved the gear material now, so you only see gear failure if the motor was abused.

Hall sensor problems also sem to be rare these days. Water is still the enemy of some hub motors. When you look inside, you can see that the manufacturers have done a lot to waterproof the internals, but I've still seen a couple with water inside. Rainwater is not such a problem, but saltwater, like you get on winter roads creates havoc.

The main reason for water getting in is when the motor wheel has been installed upside-down so that the cable exits upwards instead of downwards. I've seen some bikes supplied like that. For others, I guess it happens when people take off the back wheel to change a tyre or fix a puncture.

I disassembled a motor with bearing failure and found that there were two shims on the axle instead of one. That put a big sideways load on the bearing, which wore it out quickly. I guess it's possible for saltwater to get past the seals and damage the bearings too, especially on high mileage motors.

I have a motor in front of me right now that's full of saltwater. It's a bit weird because I already repaired it once after it became noisy. I took it apart, cleaned it out and regreased everything. After that, it ran smoothly and quietly. I now have it back again totally seized. It's full of saltwater again and terminally corroded. The owner says that it was never used after I repaired it six months ago. Maybe he lives on a boat in the sea.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
A fine bromance. The first wedding bells on site?

BertYardbrush

Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2008
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
I meant the total mileage. Two year warranty and I might do 5000 miles to get my money's worth. Only user I have been able to talk to has has done 2000 miles in a year on a Kalkhoff Impulse requiring a new chain and brake blocks. On the flat, not hills though.
I've had my ProConnect 9G since January.
I've done 2900 miles, climbed 222,400ft = average 76ft per mile. That's quite hilly. Changed brake pads at 1400 miles and again 2800 miles.
I put a new chain on at 2200 miles. The cassette 11 tooth sprocket is now showing signs of wear.
I inspected the bike closely after getting the Kalkhoff 'clack' when I first got the bike. I found some bad burrs on the chainwheel which I filed off. I suspected it might have been catching when the chain line was at the extreme and the chain under load.Since then, It seems to be OK. Reading this thread gives me cause for trepidation but, so far so good.
I am a mere 10 stone so I don't suppose the system gets as much hammer as it would from a heavyweight.
I use it mainly in Eco mode, usually putting more power on uphill at the end of rides. Average trip around 45 to 50 miles.
It would be interesting to know what proportion of the total production of this motor have broken down. And how many of the breakdowns are due to mechanical, electrical or software faults.
I don't think I've been through all of the 13 lurid pages so I may have missed something.

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
A rack battery can help on slippery paths, putting more weight over the rear wheel adds to rear wheel traction.

All the best, David
incidentally - and feel free to tell me to butt out if this is hijacking the thread - I have an old santa ana that's serviceable, except that it's rack batteries' rack has cracked completely and utterly. does anyone know where one can find a replacement that doesn't have to be imported ion weak pounds from china for hundred dollars postage? also, is there a steel variant? it would be way beyond great.

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
I've had my ProConnect 9G since January.
I've done 2900 miles, climbed 222,400ft = average 76ft per mile. That's quite hilly. Changed brake pads at 1400 miles and again 2800 miles.
I put a new chain on at 2200 miles. The cassette 11 tooth sprocket is now showing signs of wear.
I inspected the bike closely after getting the Kalkhoff 'clack' when I first got the bike. I found some bad burrs on the chainwheel which I filed off. I suspected it might have been catching when the chain line was at the extreme and the chain under load.Since then, It seems to be OK. Reading this thread gives me cause for trepidation but, so far so good.
I am a mere 10 stone so I don't suppose the system gets as much hammer as it would from a heavyweight.
I use it mainly in Eco mode, usually putting more power on uphill at the end of rides. Average trip around 45 to 50 miles.
It would be interesting to know what proportion of the total production of this motor have broken down. And how many of the breakdowns are due to mechanical, electrical or software faults.
I don't think I've been through all of the 13 lurid pages so I may have missed something.

Sadly this is only the baby thread.

The previous Kalkhoff engine fault thread was 24 pages and still on thread.
Strangely that one got closed, but this one is getting there!!!

FotiosB

Just Joined
Nov 18, 2016
London
My bike is a Kalkhoff Pro Connect Impulse 8G, 2014.

Similar problems, they replaced the first motor, I had to pay for it as it was out of warranty, even I had low mileage. There were very unhelpful and they also blamed me for the problems of the bike!!! Now the second motor is also failing after only 300 miles. Very happy I discovered this thread as I thought that I was doing something wrong but now I know that the motors are faulty.
Also how many miles do you get from one charge? I get max 50 miles with 50% in Eco mode 30% sport and 20% power. It was advertised up to 125 miles in eco.

Hi,

I am trying to ascertain who is having issues with Impulse II motors on Kalkhoff or Focus e-bikes (both made by Derby Cycles).

Personally, I had a first motor replacement after 900 miles (4 months, loud clacking/clicking noise), and then another failure at around 900 miles (7 months, very weak assistance, some loud clacking once).

I have found the following people reporting issues too on this forum (usually on fairly new pedelec bikes and low mileage/kilometers):

Username/Model/Age/Mileage
reggie_electric - Agattu - 6 months - 800km
nemesis - Focus Jarifa - 4 months - ???
Jean-christophe Saville - S11 Alfine - 14 months - 2800 miles
Lothlean - ??? - 10 months - ??
Will Tinker - Pro Connect 9 - 5 months - 500 miles
Oriteroom - Focus Aventura Impulse S10 - 10 months - 3000 miles (3rd motor)
Roger R - ??? - 6 months - 1000 miles
nightrider - Endeavour S10 - ?? - ??
bernharvey - Agattu - ?? - 400 miles
Reseg - Focus Aventura - 10 months - ?? (3rd Motor)
lowranger - Impulse 10 - ?? - 2300 miles
Biscitt - Agattu - ?? - 350 miles
Biscitt - Tasman - ?? - 100 miles
Tomtomato - Pro Connect 10 - 7 months 900 miles (2nd fault)

Please reply to this thread if you had a motor issue.

It seems quite clear to me that there is a design/quality issue with the Impulse 2 crank-driven motors, and that those should be able to last a lot longer (given the high prices of the bikes), without requiring some expensive replacements (£600, once out of warranty). Kalkhoff are not willing to provide a warranty beyond 2 years on those motors, and have made people pay for replacement out of warranty, even when low mileage was done.

After first saying that there were no issues, they confirmed that Kalkhoff knew about the issue, and it had been sorted. A software update can apparently prevent some clacking issues leading to failure. However, I am not aware of a recall to do so by Kalkhoff (are they just waiting for bikes to fail?).

The 2015 motor replacement I had (supposedly the new reliable version) failed again after a small mileage, so I am not sure the issue is really sorted.

Thanks,
T.