Wisper Onto my 5th e-bike now

simonbarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2007
West Hampstead, NW London
Been lurking to check the latest views before settling on a Wisper H7, now on order but having full throttle fitted.

In the past, I’ve had 2 Kalkhoffs (Agattu traded for a ProConnect) then a Wisper 906 Alpino and then a KTM Gram Machina, but all the last 3 were stolen from my homes at the time.

Insurance from the KTM is paying for the Wisper so why choose it:

1. I’m a lawyer and can’t take any risk on the legality of the throttle
2. I wanted a step through this time
3. I like the company and my old Wisper build quality and David being on the forum.
4. I could get a big 700 battery within the pay out budget

Now just waiting delivery (trying to be patient) and pondering locks etc…Litelok seem the best?

Good to see plenty of you still around, especially Flecc the guru.

I’ll be cycling again soon….

Reactions: Bikes4two

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Been lurking to check the latest views before settling on a Wisper H7, now on order but having full throttle fitted.

In the past, I’ve had 2 Kalkhoffs (Agattu traded for a ProConnect) then a Wisper 906 Alpino and then a KTM Gram Machina, but all the last 3 were stolen from my homes at the time.

3. I like the company and my old Wisper build quality and David being on the forum.

Now just waiting delivery (trying to be patient) and pondering locks etc…Litelok seem the best?

Hi Simon,

Thanks for choosing a Wisper Wayfarer! It does take a while to get DVLA to process the full throttle bikes, especially with the recent strikes and problems with their computer systems.

Please let me know how you get on.

All the best, David

simonbarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2007
Hi Simon,

Thanks for choosing a Wisper Wayfarer! It does take a while to get DVLA to process the full throttle bikes, especially with the recent strikes and problems with their computer systems.

Please let me know how you get on.

All the best, David
To be fair there site does say allow up to 8 weeks and we’re just at week 5 now.
Just impatient to be back Wispering.
BTW I asked for the tyres to be upgraded but no confirmation yet?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
To be fair there site does say allow up to 8 weeks and we’re just at week 5 now.
Just impatient to be back Wispering.
BTW I asked for the tyres to be upgraded but no confirmation yet?
Hi Simon, to bring you up to date…

Your bike was DVSA tested and approved yesterday, it will have the software upgraded and the tyres changed today. The bike will be PDI’d today and despatched on Monday. We don’t like to leave bikes in the hands of the couriers over the weekend.

Thanks for investing in a Wisper… again!

All the best, David

Last edited:
Reactions: Bikes4two and flecc

simonbarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2007
Hi Simon, to bring you up to date…

Your bike was DVSA tested and approved yesterday, it will have the software upgraded and the tyres changed today. The bike will be PDI’d today and despatched on Monday. We don’t like to leave bikes in the hands of the couriers over the weekend.

Thanks for investing in a Wisper… again!

All the best, David
Thanks David, that sounds great, only one issue as I’m away from Tuesday to Sunday, so if it would need to arrive (same day) on Monday; if that does it work we’ll need to delay a week or maybe deliver to local dealer Instead??
Also I need to pay the small tyre upgrade cost?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks David, that sounds great, only one issue as I’m away from Tuesday to Sunday, so if it would need to arrive (same day) on Monday; if that does it work we’ll need to delay a week or maybe deliver to local dealer Instead??
Also I need to pay the small tyre upgrade cost?
Hi Simon, we will hold your bike back until a week on Tuesday (2nd May) as the 1st is a bank holiday. Did you upgrade to Adventure Tyres? If so we are now supplying Impac Ridgebacks, just checking that's OK? They are a free upgrade to you!

All the best, David

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc

simonbarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2007
Hi Simon, we will hold your bike back until a week on Tuesday (2nd May) as the 1st is a bank holiday. Did you upgrade to Adventure Tyres? If so we are now supplying Impac Ridgebacks, just checking that's OK? They are a free upgrade to you!

All the best, David
Thanks David
2nd sounds fine And a safer bet.

All the best, David
Thanks David 2nd is better really.
Do the Impacs have the same better puncture resistance as the Schwalbes had over the sock Kenya’s (that was the reason for the upgrade)?
Appreciate your help.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks David
2nd sounds fine And a safer bet.

Thanks David 2nd is better really.
Do the Impacs have the same better puncture resistance as the Schwalbes had over the sock Kenya’s (that was the reason for the upgrade)?
Appreciate your help.
Will you be using the bike off road Simon?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks David, I’ll follow your advice then.
Looking forward to 2nd May!
Thanks for all your help.
That's good Simon, I've found the Kendas to be very good at puncture protection on two pedelecs, also on shitty London roads but never having a Kenda puncture.
Roads so bad that on one regular route with a bike on Maxxis tyres, towing a trailer with ertsatz Chinese tyres, in the six mile trip I suffered three punctures in the five tyres. Left trailer wheel outward bound, bike front tyre at three miles destination, trailer r/h wheel during return trip.

4bound

Pedelecer
May 1, 2014
Neston
www.facebook.com

I hope you have made a good choice Simon, because we have ordered exactly the same bike for my wife. It will be her 4th ebike for one reason or another. The full throttle is important to her for health reasons, although the 15.5mph limitation is an iritation when riding with others who can go a little faster. Lets hope we have all made the right choice.

simonbarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2007
That's good Simon, I've found the Kendas to be very good at puncture protection on two pedelecs, also on shitty London roads but never having a Kenda puncture.
Roads so bad that on one regular route with a bike on Maxxis tyres, towing a trailer with ertsatz Chinese tyres, in the six mile trip I suffered three punctures in the five tyres. Left trailer wheel outward bound, bike front tyre at three miles destination, trailer r/h wheel during return trip.
Thanks Flecc, reassuring with all your experience; punctures are one of my pet hates!
All good with you?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Flecc, reassuring with all your experience; punctures are one of my pet hates!
All good with you?
Not so much now Simon. Now at 87 no longer able to cycle due to increasingly serious heart trouble meaning limited ability for physical exertion, so driving an e-car instead.

I can manage the pedals uphill in that ok (!) and it's almost entirely one pedal like a bumper car anyway. Press to go, ease off to get motor braking.

And it gives me the chance to be super considerate to cyclists, teaching other drivers how it should be.

simonbarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2007
Not so much now Simon. Now at 87 no longer able to cycle due to increasingly serious heart trouble meaning limited ability for physical exertion, so driving an e-car instead.

I can manage the pedals uphill in that ok (!) and it's almost entirely one pedal like a bumper car anyway. Press to go, ease off to get motor braking.

And it gives me the chance to be super considerate to cyclists, teaching other drivers how it should be.
Sorry to hear that and good that you still contribute here anyway.
So your old Chevvy Matiz has been retired for something green?
Anyway keep as well as you can, my father in law still grumping on at 95.
All the very best.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You could ride a Wisper with no pedalling?
But I wouldn't enjoy that. I dont know if you remember when I tested a new battery on my Q bike for Ezee Kinetics, riding over 3500 miles in six months with virtually no pedalling to give it a tough time, the most boring riding I've ever done.

It's sacrilege to say so in here, but I've never really enjoyed e-biking in the way I enjoyed my unpowered cycling. My favourite vehicles have always been ordinary bicycles (over the sixty plus years I was fit enough for them), motorcycles and cars.

But now I really enjoy driving the Leaf which is a real pleasure, answering many of my health problems. Not least the instant heat since I really suffer the cold very severely due to very poor circulation from the heart issues. It might sound odd but that was why I bought the Leaf after being unable to leave home one bitter winter morning when just getting into my freezing i.c. car and touching the cold wheel triggered a sudden collapse in blood pressure and a heart attack. That was the last straw. To give a better idea of life now, so far this month I've suffered eight painful tachycardia or arrhythmia heart attacks of varying durations.

So long as I keep warm (which now costs a fortune in my all electric home), confine exercise to gentle walking and restrict that at the first sign of any trouble, I manage. We all die sometime and for me that is probably quite soon since I'm already breaking family records for longevity.

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
It's sacrilege to say so in here, but I've never really enjoyed e-biking in the way I enjoyed my unpowered cycling. My favourite vehicles have always been ordinary bicycles (over the sixty plus years I was fit enough for them), motorcycles and cars.
Not sacrilege at all Flecc, my late wife and I used take our bikes on holiday and cycle everywhere (Full days out with beer/wine and a packed lunch). Nowadays I still do the same but none of it would be possible without my beloved E-Bikes. I'm probably travelling further than we used to and my knees thank me the following morning. Seldom mentioned when people preach the virtues of E-Biking, but for me apart from the obvious hill climbing abilities the biggest benefit is I don't worry cycling into a strong head wind which used to really knacker me out.

TTFN
John.

simonbarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2007
Hi David
Bit surprised to have the H7 turn up this morning (instead of 2 May) just as we were leaving for Paris!
15 minutes later would have been a problem…
I hadn’t time to unbox/inspect etc., so will do that when I’m back next Monday.
Just thought you should know.