Ooops

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Gave myself a day off today and planned a long ride through some lovely valleys and a pub lunch before riding home.
About 5 miles in, I stopped for a drink half way up a long climb, then noticed the LH hub nut was missing.:oops::eek: Fortunately the torque bracket was still firmly in place.
How long it's been missing I don't know. What damage, if any, has been done to the other dropout only time will tell.
Fortunately I live opposite an agricultural hardware outlet (sort of man cave on steroids) and we found a nut to fit. Turns out to be a 12mm unf 1.25 - who knew?(What does that mean anyway?).
So Suntour forks have been examined and the new nut fitted c/w a spring washer.
Note to self:
Bit more maitenance and inspection needed.;)
Now planning a nice sunset ride this evening.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Turns out to be a 12mm unf 1.25 - who knew?(What does that mean anyway?).
UNF (Unified National Fine), there's also UNC (Unified National Coarse), even UNEF (Extra Fine), all referring to the thread pitch, fine thread or coarse thread.

The 1.25 is the thread pitch, in other words it's 1.25 mm linear from one thread turn to the next.

The 12 mm is of course the diameter.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
So went out about 8:30, got about half a mile down the road and the left crank arm was suddenly loose. What is goin' on? It's like someone has been sabotaging it, must keep a closer eye on swmbo.:D
Seriously though, around here they use a lot of the road repair method where a gang comes alog, sprays the road then throws gravel all over it. This does several things:
It disguises all the bumps and dips so you can't see 'em
It leaves loose gravel all over and it piles up on corners
After a couple of years it starts to rip of in strips and patches
It significantly increases tyre noise of all vehicles

The result is a really juddery, bumpy, noisy ride, sometimes feel like my fillings are going to fall out. I think this is responsible for my woes. They also use a method where they plane the road and lay down a smooth black tarmac that is an absolute joy to ride. It's smooth, quiet , grippy seems to last really well.
I'd like to get hold of the bloke who thinks the grey gravel is a good idea and make him do all his surveys on a hard tail, steel fork bike - see how ya like them apples !

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing and flecc