Orbea Katu E 10 LR 2017 - Electric Bike

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Puncture resistance is a function of the tyre construction, rather than its size.

I'm not sure how puncture resistant the Kendas are on the Katu, no punctures on that so far, but I have had a couple on the AVE.

Tyre choice for 20" is more limited, but if you get punctures have a root around the Schwalbe website which rates each tyre for puncture protection.

Changing a tube is easier on a 20" wheel ebike because it's easier to manhandle the smaller frame and wheel.

ncpdnc

Pedelecer
May 28, 2017
Europe!
Puncture resistance is a function of the tyre construction, rather than its size.

I'm not sure how puncture resistant the Kendas are on the Katu, no punctures on that so far, but I have had a couple on the AVE.

Tyre choice for 20" is more limited, but if you get punctures have a root around the Schwalbe website which rates each tyre for puncture protection.

Changing a tube is easier on a 20" wheel ebike because it's easier to manhandle the smaller frame and wheel.
Brilliant!
Thank you.

Electric Transport Shop

Official Trade Member
Aug 7, 2010
There are advantages to riding a compact bike (storage, share-ability, weight) but if these aren't key issues then I'd suggest a full size bike for long commutes in busy traffic. If you like the look of the Haibike Hardseven then it can be made commuter friendly with integrated lights, mudguards, puncture protected urban tyres and even a pannier rack.
If you just want something to do the job and a good deal we could offer you this Raleigh Captus with a 500wh battery and integrated lights for £1800: https://www.electricbikesales.co.uk/Electric-Bike-Special-Offers-ebike-electric-bikes-discounts/Raleigh-Captus-Crossbar
You can test ride at our Camden store (currently appointment only).
If that sounds good just let me know.

• Informative
Reactions: Gaz

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Brilliant!
Thank you.
Additional suggestions are

1. The "sit up and beg" bikes including the Dutch style or the katu are probably safer as there is more situational awareness than either a MTB or a racing bike.
2. I would suggest that a step through frame .. including the katu is better for starting and stopping in traffic.
3. The sit up type is less tiring, allows more easily breathing.. just like those folks with their walking poles , than the more aerodynamic.racing posture.
I once had a 16 inch balloon tyred bike , for 4 years and cross city commuting , and was always able to keep up with any colleagues..it was an rsw16 (1970. ). Not bad for city travelling.
4. I doubt whether there is any advantage in undongleing in London traffic. Just been there yesterday and unless you were on off road dedicatedcycle paths , getting to 15 mph would be an achievement.

Kendalian

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2016
Cumbria
I went into Cockermouth yesterday with my Katu e-20 to do some shopping instead of using the car. It is a 12 mile round trip and a bit up and down. I put the front basket back on (I usually don't have it on) to carry the shopping. Sainsburys has a parking area for bikes (brand new Starbucks on the edge of town doesn't so I suggested to them that they do something about it - the manager thought it was a good idea!). It's amazing how much stuff you can get in bags in the front basket - but it does make the bike heavy!

Coming home was into a pretty strong headwind and is more up than down - the bike was brilliant. You don't notice the extra weight of the shopping and I still managed most of the way in the 2nd power level "Tour", just going to "Sport" or "Turbo" on the worst hills.

I would say to anyone thinking of a 20" wheel bike just try one - you won't be disappointed!

Cheers

Kendalian

Reactions: ncpdnc