Orbea Road or All-Road - Which One?

Orbea D20 (All-Road) or D30 (Road)

• Total voters

kris.d.m.scott

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 8, 2018
Good Evening all,

I currently ride a YT Capra, but find myself covering alot of road during the evenings after work and only trails at weekends, therefore i plan to buy a road bike.

I have been looking at the Orbea bikes, D30 (18) and D20(18), however being new to road bikes im unsure which to go for?

You'll probably be familiar with them, but the main differences are below

D30 (Road) - 28cc tyres and 2x10, Tiagra Shifters and Shimano RS405 Brakes @ £2300
D20 (All-Road) - 40cc Tyres, 1x11, SRAM Rival Shifters and SRAM Rival Brakes @ £2500

I'm totally torn between the two. the D20 seems better spec'd for the price however the wider tyres im unsure of? I will use this for road use only, although having the wider tyres may be nice if i went down any paths!

Thoughts on the two bikes?

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Orbea-Gain-D20-LR-2018-Electric-Road-Bike_123490.htm

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Orbea-Gain-D30-2018-Electric-Road-Bike_109756.htm

Kind Regards,

Kris

• Informative
Reactions: kringle68

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Wider tyres provide more comfort and on poor quality roads roll better than thinner tyres. If you have super smooth roads the thinner tyres may roll better but not round my way. I’d go for the D20 if available but these bikes are in short supply.

• Agree
Reactions: anotherkiwi

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The last time I rode on skinny tyres was August last year. Sure they are faster on acceleration (less mass) but once you are up to speed the comfort of the wider tyre wins hands down and the difference in speed on anything other than a billard table type surface is in favor of the wider tyre as are cornering and braking.

Capt Sisko

Pedelecer
May 5, 2018
Shropshire
I bought a D20 in April and changed the OEM 40mm tyres to 32mm Schwalbe Marathon Plus. After a few hundred miles I decided the Marathon Plus were just too heavy and a couple of weeks ago changed them to the new Pirelli PZero Velo 4S tyres in 28mm. Wow what a difference!! They've not only knocked a whole kg off the total weight, but on the two rides I've done so far on them they make the bike feel just so much more alive. I've got an Audax coming up this weekend and I'm confident these tyres will give me a confortable ride.

Of other things about the spec of the D20, the Sram stuff all works as it should, but I'd expect that of any decent groupsets, however the disc brakes are simply stunning. My race bike has the full Campag set complete with soft compound Kool Stop pads. I thought those were good, but they just not in the same league as the full hydrolic Sram ones.

kris.d.m.scott

Jul 8, 2018
I bought a D20 in April and changed the OEM 40mm tyres to 32mm Schwalbe Marathon Plus. After a few hundred miles I decided the Marathon Plus were just too heavy and a couple of weeks ago changed them to the new Pirelli PZero Velo 4S tyres in 28mm. Wow what a difference!! They've not only knocked a whole kg off the total weight, but on the two rides I've done so far on them they make the bike feel just so much more alive. I've got an Audax coming up this weekend and I'm confident these tyres will give me a confortable ride.

Of other things about the spec of the D20, the Sram stuff all works as it should, but I'd expect that of any decent groupsets, however the disc brakes are simply stunning. My race bike has the full Campag set complete with soft compound Kool Stop pads. I thought those were good, but they just not in the same league as the full hydrolic Sram ones.
How do you find the D20?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Capt Sisko

Pedelecer
May 5, 2018
Shropshire
The short answer is if it got damaged or stoten I'll buy another tomorrow!

The long answer is that it makes riding (particularly the hills) just so much easier and therefore the whole ride more enjoyable. I don't commute, I don't race, I ride for relaxation and pleasure On the flat the Gain even at it'ss lowest power setting is like riding with a wind behind you and you're having a good day. Okay so the assitance stops at 15mph, but if I'm going faster than that I'm either on a mission and know it all leg power, or I'm going down hill.

In practice what I've found out is my prefered way of riding it to ride with the motor off to start with and only use it when I feel it's necessary, then as the day progressed use the lowest power setting to compensate for tired legs.This way I get a good range from the battery and know i still have power in reserve for the hills or should I feel lazy for the last few miles home. As far as I'm conerned the Gain hits the right balance with style, power & ridability against the penalties of an e-bike being weight and in many cased looking like a plonked on afterthought.

In terms of kit fitted to my D20, it's all good stuff. The hoods of Sram shifters are a bit bigger than Shimano ones, but are fine. The indexing is spot on and the gear range plenty wide enough. Do I miss having a double ring up front, not one bit. As I mentioned previously the brakes are the best I've ever riden. Finish of the frame looks fine to me and the paint work is really good. Mine is one of the bright orange ones and any poor quality detailing would stick out like a sore thumb, there isn't any. Obviously I can't comment on how the groupset on a D30 would compare having not riden on, but suffice to say I'm happy with mine.

Reactions: davie b

kris.d.m.scott

Jul 8, 2018
The short answer is if it got damaged or stoten I'll buy another tomorrow!

The long answer is that it makes riding (particularly the hills) just so much easier and therefore the whole ride more enjoyable. I don't commute, I don't race, I ride for relaxation and pleasure On the flat the Gain even at it'ss lowest power setting is like riding with a wind behind you and you're having a good day. Okay so the assitance stops at 15mph, but if I'm going faster than that I'm either on a mission and know it all leg power, or I'm going down hill.

In practice what I've found out is my prefered way of riding it to ride with the motor off to start with and only use it when I feel it's necessary, then as the day progressed use the lowest power setting to compensate for tired legs.This way I get a good range from the battery and know i still have power in reserve for the hills or should I feel lazy for the last few miles home. As far as I'm conerned the Gain hits the right balance with style, power & ridability against the penalties of an e-bike being weight and in many cased looking like a plonked on afterthought.

In terms of kit fitted to my D20, it's all good stuff. The hoods of Sram shifters are a bit bigger than Shimano ones, but are fine. The indexing is spot on and the gear range plenty wide enough. Do I miss having a double ring up front, not one bit. As I mentioned previously the brakes are the best I've ever riden. Finish of the frame looks fine to me and the paint work is really good. Mine is one of the bright orange ones and any poor quality detailing would stick out like a sore thumb, there isn't any. Obviously I can't comment on how the groupset on a D30 would compare having not riden on, but suffice to say I'm happy with mine.
Thank you for the detailed information, I’ve struggled to find a lot of information on the bike.

How do you find the assistance levels? I haven’t found any information on these? What sort of range do you get?

Thanks

Capt Sisko

Pedelecer
May 5, 2018
Shropshire
I know what you mean about finding information on them, so many of the alleged magazine tests are just reprints of the Orbea launch material. It took a bit of risk ordering mine without actually riding one, but I'm glad to say it paid off.

Myself and a couple of others have also puplished our thoughts on the Cycle Chat Forum https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/orbea-gain.229793/ and the CTC Forum https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=123011

In terms of assistance there are three levels (plus on, but no assistance). As I said if I'm on the flat the lowest power setting is all I need for rolling countryside. You can put it into high power and just turn the pedals lightly and the motor will push you along witthout you having to do anything other than looking like you're pedalling, but don't expect much range if you do that. It ain't what it's designeded to do.

One question you haven't asked about is drag from the electric motor. If there is any I can't feel it (other than a slight drag brake feel for a second when you drop from high to second power and so on), it certainly does feel like there is any drag when I've pressed on and riden above the cut off speed.

In terms of range the longest ride I've done to date is 55miles and using the previously mentioned off/on method got home with about a 45% battery, but I'll admit that it was a basically flatish ride and the wind (a real wind and a strong one too) was staight into my back for the last twenty miles so take that as a bit of an exeption. On other rides when I've used the power a bit more I reckon a 55 to 60 range is practical, but hills take their toll and not unreasonably to give the battery a trouncing.

The bottom line as I'm concered is that the elcrtical assistance provides enough extra umph when necessary, but it's still up to you to provide most of the power to push yourself along, plus it looks and ride like a regular road bike.

kris.d.m.scott

Jul 8, 2018
Yeah, there’s not a lot online about them at all.

Thank you for all your help! It’s appreciated.

If you don’t mind me asking how tall are you and what size did you go for?

Capt Sisko

Pedelecer
May 5, 2018
Shropshire
I'm tall 6' 0" tall ex blind side flanker and definitely not what you’d call as stocky or lightweight. I therefore ordered a Large and it fits me just fine with about 3.5" of seat post showing and a relatively level saddle / bar height. The only thing I changed was the saddle, the OEM one just wasn’t comfortable (for me) but saddles are very personal things and it may suit you fine. I’ve since swapped it to the one of my old bike and I ride without any aches, pains or undue pressures the touch points or the feeling of a ouch net next it get on the bike.

kris.d.m.scott

Jul 8, 2018
Thanks for all your help. I took the plunge last night and ordered the D30, due Friday.

What tyres would you recommend as the OEM ones don’t seem up to much!

I couldn’t decide between the d20 and d30, but with the d30 being in stock and dates getting further and further back. I decide to go for the d30 with a guaranteed delivery date.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
15 models of Gain road :eek: So it all comes down to a compromise price/components I guess, I'm glad I'm not into road bikes :D

Capt Sisko

Pedelecer
May 5, 2018
Shropshire
What tyres would you recommend as the OEM ones don’t seem up to much!
I bought my D20 knowing I was going to have to change the tyres, not because reports that they weren't any good, but because I wanted something narrower and more road oriented As i just happened to have a pair of 32mm Marathon Plus sitting in the corner unused I put these on to start with. The bike rode okay, nothing to shout about but also nothing to complain about, but after a couple of longer rides I decided they were just too heavy. I replaced them with a pair of the new Pirelli P Zero 4s (28mm). Expensive, but what a difference!

They knocked a whole Kg off the total weight and more importantly 1/2kg off the rotational mass of each wheel. The result is the bike feel much more responsive, is much more comfortable and climbs better, power or not.

My original plan was to put the OEM gravel tyres back on for the winter, and I may still do that, at least I've got the option now.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I love the Big Bens but I hate the weight. When they are chewed up I will go tubeless and am expecting to save a kg or more too. Schwalbe are apparently going to have 20" G-Ones for the end of the year...

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
I bought my D20 knowing I was going to have to change the tyres, not because reports that they weren't any good, but because I wanted something narrower and more road oriented As i just happened to have a pair of 32mm Marathon Plus sitting in the corner unused I put these on to start with. The bike rode okay, nothing to shout about but also nothing to complain about, but after a couple of longer rides I decided they were just too heavy. I replaced them with a pair of the new Pirelli P Zero 4s (28mm). Expensive, but what a difference!

They knocked a whole Kg off the total weight and more importantly 1/2kg off the rotational mass of each wheel. The result is the bike feel much more responsive, is much more comfortable and climbs better, power or not.

My original plan was to put the OEM gravel tyres back on for the winter, and I may still do that, at least I've got the option now.
That's a big weight saving on the tires, were the Marathon Plus tyres a lot heavier than the original tyres, or are the Pirellis much lighter than those too? I think I have read that the D20 is just over 11kg in weight, if that's correct is yours now close to 10 kg?

Capt Sisko

Pedelecer
May 5, 2018
Shropshire
It's a bit of both. Marathons are heavy, some 900grm each, the OEM tyre about 500grm each but the Pirelli are light at 250grm for my 28mm size.

In terms of overal weight I think you're looking at the new all carbon version, mine has the aluminium frame, but carbon forks and other bits. Orbea say 13.5kg and a quick stand on the bathroom scales check says thats about right.

Reactions: Nev

n2yge

Just Joined
Mar 20, 2018
Bournemouth
I've had my D30 for about a month now and I find it everything I wanted in an e-bike. Orbea say "Just Enough" power and that is exactly what you get. It gives you a hand uphill but you still have to work but where I used to need all the gears to get my 107 kg body up some of the hills here, I can now manage them with a couple of gears to spare and I'm up there a lot faster too!

The first things I did though was to swap the tyres to 28mm Conti GT4000's because the Kendas that it came with were shocking. The saddle was also swapped because the Pro Logo didn't suit me at all.

Battery life has been really good so far, probably due to it being so easy to ride above the 25 kmph cut off point. There isn't any drag from the motor and I find myself riding under my own steam most of the time on the flat. My commute is about a 25 mile round trip and I've still got 75-80% left at the end of the day.

Basically, If you're looking for something that will get you to work without needing to shower, this isn't for you, but if you want a road bike that still feels like a conventional bike but gives you a hand on the hilly bits, I can highly recommend it.

• Informative
Reactions: Artstu

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Great report n2yge, there is a good chance I will buy an e-road bike next year having bought an e-mountain bike this year which I am extremely impressed with. The D30 is certainly one I am thinking of buying, I really like the stealthy look it has.