our summer trip

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008

Got back recently from an enjoyable 4.5 week motorhome tour with the new bikes. We travelled down though France/Germany /Austria stopping of at Dachau concentration camp on the outskirts of Munich. While probably not as horrific as a death camp like Auschwitz it is an awful place a real revelation as it was where the Nazi refined their doctrine of hate and mass murder. Here they practised and refined their philosophy and killing machine...that is why all the “death camps” are not in Germany as they firmly believed in NIMBY. If anyone has watched the BBC2 program on Hans litten this week, and subsequent documentaries, it is where he ended his days...

Happy days! When we got to Lake Bled in Slovenia. A beautiful place with very pleasant cycling around the lake (not very big) much more challenging cycling, heading in other directions though! Lovely swimming in the crystal clear lake. From there we went down to Croatia and the Island of Krk and the town of Baska on southern tip, lovely sand and shingle beach , unusual for Croatia as mainly rock or shingle. Town is a working fishing village turned into a tourist resort, it was so nice we abandoned our Island hopping agenda and just spent our time cycling and relaxing.....

Then up to Istria where we picked our teenagers at Pula airport, we then toured up the western side of Istria, lovely Venetian style towns and good campsites, but water got dirtier as we travelled up towards Italy. Then we went to Venice lovely at night...Then up to Lake Garda where we go most years, and meet up with friends. Kids flew back and just as well, as we had a horrendous traffic jammed drive out of Italy.... stayed at Fussen in Baveria a wonderful town and castle by lake (which inspired Disney)

It was here I saw the emoto electric motorbike, it could climb the awful 45 degree hill on campsite easil.. New Bikes are great! And thanks again to David of Wisper who made an early Daahub kit available to me. I was desperate to get lighter bikes for the trip as we had just bought smaller van. Any one trying to lift an e bike weighing more the 20kg onto a rack...well good luck to you!

I have already said what a great bit of kit The DaaHub is, so won’t repeat myself here, but it drew so much attention when travelling around it was incredible. It is a joy to ride either bike to be honest, particularly in a nice climate with peaceful roads. Bike started cutting out and resetting itself,. The bike was fine on the flat or uphill in the right gear, but a bit of a problem with two large panniers full of shopping! thankfullt this only caught me out a couple of times. This has now been sorted, as Wisper have fitted a new controller and improved handle bar computer (kph to mph at press of two buttons) the cut out was because of current draw I think..... It has now been tapered off a bit and bike seems fine now.

Wife has decided she wants a step through.... she likes the bosch system, as it is very natural and simplicity itself to ride and control, but hates the crossbar! My fault really as she was OK on the 905SE, but when I think about it, the cross bar sweeps down much lower. I just don’t understand why she cant just swing her left leg back, up and over........ Another clear example of why it is important to test ride a bike to make sure it is right for you. Can get expensive otherwise...

Some pics on following link: I cant get them to start in order so if you find one with van on drive that is the start and me and my daughter last.....Feel free to print of my pic and stick it your dart board if you wish ;)

DSC00881 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited:

Morag

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2010
Shropshire
Sound's and look's like you had a great time.

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
Thanks for this report and the photos.

Those electric motorbikes look exciting but the cost is totally nuts. I saw one in Germany and for the cost I could get 2 very nice Moto Guzzis.

We will be taking a similar trip in 2 weeks. From Denmark down to Munich, Zell Am See, Grossglockner, through the Dolomites, Bergamo old town and onto Lake Como. Then down to Portofino along the coast a bit, back to Verona, back through the Dolmites, Fussen and back to Munich....or something like that. We are doing it on a Moto Guzzi California and jut hope we get the weather you seem to have had.

Steve

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Thanks for this report and the photos.

Those electric motorbikes look exciting but the cost is totally nuts. I saw one in Germany and for the cost I could get 2 very nice Moto Guzzis.

We will be taking a similar trip in 2 weeks. From Denmark down to Munich, Zell Am See, Grossglockner, through the Dolomites, Bergamo old town and onto Lake Como. Then down to Portofino along the coast a bit, back to Verona, back through the Dolmites, Fussen and back to Munich....or something like that. We are doing it on a Moto Guzzi California and jut hope we get the weather you seem to have had.

Steve
Sounds like a great trip you have planned, enjoy! Have been up your neck of the woods a few times as well. Travelled up to Swedish lapland etc.....Fantastic place. Most cross channel and turns right..nice to turn left now and again!

Yes re electric bike, thats what the sound of silence costs I guess.