Owner of a Kalkhoff Sahel 2015 step thru

ibbeebee

Just Joined
Sep 29, 2016
Australia
& yes I'm on my second motor & will probably go to a third before my 2 years is up.
I'm in Melbourne Australia & my Dealer is http://www.dolomitielectricbikes.com.au , their service has been fine, but my second motor which has done less than 1500 K is allready showing signs of stress.

For the first 1000 K I was mostly riding in sport setting but have already had to go onto full power & lower gears so I expect this one to die as well, hopefully within the next 9 months so I can get a replacement under warranty.
My query at the moment is in regards to replacing the derailleur. I am not a fan of the Shimano alivio that is supplied with the bike & would like to upgrade to XT parts. Specifically the Shimano XT M772
I can get a derailleur ok but I think Shimano are phasing them out as the XT 770 shifters are no longer available.
Would it be possible to use a 10 speed setup with the existing front Sprocket or will it be too wide for the chain?

I know this is a lot of information at once but I was uncertain where to put my questions so decided this was the best place to start Thanks in advance for any help regards David

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Would it be possible to use a 10 speed setup with the existing front Sprocket or will it be too wide for the chain?
In d8veh's link and elswhere you'll see divided opinion on this, but both can be right since there are two 10 speed chain width standards:

10 speed - 6.2mm (Shimano)
10 speed (narrow) - 5.9mm (Campagnolo)

So it depends what chain you are using and what standard your chainwheel was made to.

ibbeebee

Just Joined
Sep 29, 2016
Australia
Thanks so it looks like it will be OK then Its going be a lot easier to find 10 speed gear than 9 speed so I,m probably going in that direction Thanks for the help David